The Closers

Discussion in 'The Literary Forum' started by VirginiaHuguenot, Jul 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Just tryin' to think of a flashly title to draw some feedback...:D

Some classic Reformed writings were completed by friends, colleagues and interested persons after the authors' demise. Their names are sometimes forgotten but they are worth remembering. I'll give some examples below. Any others?

Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Bible

Matthew Henry died after completing the section on Acts. Romans - Revelation was completed by his friends and colleagues as noted below:

Romans - Mr. [afterwards Dr.] John Evans (see also here).
    1 Corinthians - Mr. Simon Browne.
    2 Corinthians - Mr. Daniel Mayo.
    Galatians - Mr. Joshua Bayes.
    Ephesians - Mr. Samuel Rosewell.
    Philippians - } Mr. [afterwards Dr.] William Harris.
    Colossians
    1 Thessalonians - } Mr. Daniel Mayo.
    2 Thessalonians
    1 Timothy - } Mr. Benjamin Andrews Atkinson.
    2 Timothy
    Titus - } Mr. Jeremiah Smith.
    Philemon
    Hebrews - Mr. William Tong.
    James - Dr. S. Wright.
    1 Peter - Mr. Zec. Merrill.
    2 Peter - Mr. Joseph Hill.
    1, 2, and 3 John - Mr. John Reynolds, of Shrewsbury.
    Jude - Mr. John Billingsley.
    Revelation - Mr. William Tong.

Matthew Poole's English Annotations on the Bible

Matthew Poole died (the same day as William Gurnall, btw) upon completing his English Annotations through Isaiah 58. The rest of the Annotations were completed by friends and colleagues.

Isaiah 59-60 -- Mr. John Jackson
    Isaiah 61-66, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Gospels, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Revelation -- Dr. John Collinges
    Ezekiel, Minor Prophets -- Mr. Henry Hurst
    Daniel -- Mr. William Cooper
    Acts -- Mr. Peter Vinke
    Romans -- Mr. Richard Mayo
    Ephesians, James, 1 and 2 Peter -- Mr. Edward Veale
    1 and 2 Thessalonians -- Mr. Matthew Barker
    Philippians, Colossians -- Mr. Richard Adams
    Hebrews -- Mr. Obadiah Hughes
    1, 2 and 3 John -- Mr. John Howe

William Gouge's Commentary on Hebrews

William Gouge died before completing his commentary on Hebrews. His son, Thomas Gouge, completed the last chapter of Hebrews.

William Perkins' Commentary on Galatians

William Perkins died after completing his exposition of the fifth chapter of Galatians. The sixth chapter was completed by Ralph Cudworth, father of the famous Cambridge Platonist by the same name.

2. JM

JM Puritan Board Professor

I thought this was about a Connelly novel.

3. Kevin

Kevin Puritan Board Doctor

:up:

Me too.:lol:

4. VirginiaHuguenot

:D Anyone else?

5. VirginiaHuguenot

John Flavel died before completing his exposition of the Westminster Assembly's Shorter Catechism. George Trosse completed the last five questions.

6. Calvibaptist

Calvibaptist Dallas Cowboys' #1 Fan

I thought it was about a dumb TV show on TNT with an actress with a fake southern accent.

7. VirginiaHuguenot

John Evans began the work of writing a History of Nonconformity, but died before it could be completed, as it was by his assistant Daniel Neal with the title The History of the Puritans.

8. Zenas

Zenas Snow Miser

Ditto. I only clicked this link out of sheer amazement that such a topic would be brought up here. I am pleasantly suprised. :applause:

9. VirginiaHuguenot

Jeremiah Burroughs died before completing his exposition of Hosea, but it was completed by his close friends, Thomas Hall and Edward Reynolds.

10. VirginiaHuguenot

So can anyone elaborate for me the extent to which David Pareus completed the commentary of Zacharias Ursinus on the Heidelberg Catechism after Ursinus' death?

11. VirginiaHuguenot

I know that Thomas Hooker assisted William Ames to some extent in writing A Fresh Suit Against Human Ceremonies in God's Worship and wrote a preface for the work after Ames died, but does anyone know to what extent, if any, Hooker helped to complete the work itself after Ames' death?

The National Cyclopaedia of American Biography (1896), Vol. VI, p. 497 (re: Thomas Hooker):

12. Backwoods Presbyterian

Backwoods Presbyterian Puritan Board Doctor

:offtopic: but she has the worst "actor's accent" since Dick Van Dyke tried the Cockney.

13. VirginiaHuguenot

Fisher's Catechism was the product of James Fisher, Ebenezer Erskine and Ralph Erskine. Ralph died (November 6, 1752) prior to the publication of the first edition (February 1753) and Ebenezer died soon thereafter (June 2, 1754) while James (d. September 28, 1775) continued to expand the work (apparently writing the whole second part of the exposition as well as contributing to the first part, according to one source) as he notes in the advertisement to the third edition:

14. VirginiaHuguenot

In 1657-58, Matthew Poole initiated a Design for the Recording of illustrious Providences. It had the support of Richard Baxter and other ministers. But the tumultuous events of the Restoration era prevented it from going forward.

In 1670, Poole's notes came into the hands (via John Davenport) of Increase Mather, who published in 1684 his Remarkable Providences, An Essay For the Recording of Illustrious Providences, the preface of which states:

In 1697, the work inspired by Matthew Poole, Increase Mather and also Philip Henry, was carried forward again by the publication of William Turner's (he was a tutor of Matthew Henry) A Compleat History of the Most Remarkable Providences, published by John Dunston, who worked with both Mather and Turner.

15. VirginiaHuguenot

16. N. Eshelman

N. Eshelman Puritan Board Senior

I thought that it was a list of 5000 quotes on 'closing with Christ' (the Puritan equivolent to accepting Jesus.)

Guess I was wrong.

17. VirginiaHuguenot

J.H. Merle D’Aubigné died after completing the five-volume set History of the Reformation of the Sixteenth Century and began work on another series, which was a continuation of the former: History of the Reformation in Europe During the Time of Calvin. He lived to complete 5 volumes of the latter series, but the last three were completed by his editor and son-in-law, Adolphe Duchemin, following D'Aubigne's notes.

18. VirginiaHuguenot

Richard Stock's commentary on Malachi was published 15 years after his death and supplemented by Samuel Torshel (Torshell).

19. VirginiaHuguenot

Abraham Hellenbroek's catechism entitled A Specimen of Divine Truths was expanded after his death to include an introduction to students on how to profit from catechism class, a chapter on the counsel of peace, and a compendium of the principal doctrinal errors of those outside the Reformed Faith. The expanded edition is sometimes referred to the "big Hellenbroek." I don't know the identity of the editor(s) involved.

20. Quickened

Quickened Puritan Board Senior

Very interesting! I did not know alot of this information! Thanks andrew

21. VirginiaHuguenot

You're very welcome, brother!

22. Marrow Man

Marrow Man Drunk with Powder

I've always wondered who were the closers for Deuteronomy and the books of Samuel. :lol:

23. VirginiaHuguenot

24. VirginiaHuguenot

Sebastian Benefield wrote a commentary on Amos 1-3, the last portion of which was published in 1629, before he died in 1630. Thomas Hall supplemented this with a commentary on Amos 4-9.

-----Added 12/6/2008 at 04:52:27 EST-----

Previous post on Sebastian Benefield / Thomas Hall's commentary on Amos was posted on November 25, 2008. Today's post on Chemnitz / Gerhard's commentary on the harmony of the Gospels is posted on December 6, 2008.

Martin Chemnitz began a commentary on the harmony of the Gospels which was completed by Johann Gerhard (3 vol., 1626-1627).

-----Added 12/14/2008 at 09:25:47 EST-----

Today's post is posted on December 14, 2008.

Clement Marot published metrical versions of 52 Psalms. The Huguenot Psalter was completed after Marot's death by Theodore Beza.

25. JohnGill

JohnGill Puritan Board Senior

New on the PB

Andrew's Annotated Bibliography.

I have a bookmark folder just for your threads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.