The Christian's private prayer may turn the world upside down - Jonathan Edwards and Alexander Cummings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solparvus

Puritan Board Senior
Quote taken from Alexander Cumming's lecture on prayer for revival, from Richard Owen Roberts' "Lectures on Revival," delivered by ministers of Scotland. Go and buy this book!!

A private Christian who holds no office, has no public prominence, prays alone. Ordinarily, God does great works when believers unite themselves in prayer. But despite that being an ordinary case, can that private Christian believe or expect that God may indeed by their prayers turn the world upside down or effect great wonders in their own nation?

Edwards and Cumming say, "Absolutely."

"Determined that this objection is without weight, namely, That it is not likely that God will make great alterations on the whole world, and overturnings in kingdoms and nation, only for the prayers of one obscure person seeing such things used to be done in answer to the united earnest prayers of the whole church, and if my prayers should have some influence; it would be imperceptible and small." -Jonathan Edwards

Cummings continues...

"Moses alone stood in the breach to arrest the tide of indignation that was about to roll over Israel; Daniel's aspirations turned the captivity of Israel; and God said at a time when Israel was rushing with headlong recipitation into a gulph of idolatry and immorality, Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in the city, they should deliver but their own souls, implying that in cases of ordinary turpitude, they would save a whole nation. If therefore, our souls are impregnated with a principle of saving faith, we may, in the retirement of our chamber, achieve victories that will tell on the destinies of the nation."

James 5:16b–18
The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. Elias was a man subject to like passions as we [ordinary Christians] are, and he prayed earnestly that it might not rain: and it rained not on the earth by the space of three years and six months. And he prayed again, and the heaven gave rain, and the earth brought forth her fruit.

Last edited:
@Reformed Covenanter

I didn't even know this was a given segment of pastors in church history, and feel I've come upon an amazing discovery. Shows where I need to learn. But I am amazed by what I have read in A. Cumming and Hugh Martin. A good friend of mine says he thinks they are better than the Puritans.

"Determined that this objection is without weight, namely, That it is not likely that God will make great alterations on the whole world, and overturnings in kingdoms and nation, only for the prayers of one obscure person seeing such things used to be done in answer to the united earnest prayers of the whole church, and if my prayers should have some influence; it would be imperceptible and small." -Jonathan Edwards
Make sure you read Edwards on Revival (Banner of Truth have conveniently placed a number of key essays into one book) and the sister book Thoughts on the New England Revival

I also greatly benefited from Iain Murray's Pentecost today (one of the greatest works on revival) and Revival and Revivalism

@Stephen L Smith if Thoughts on the NE Revival is his Surprising Work of God, that is a stirring, enlivening and encouraging work. It’s a delight to read! Conversion accounts are a rich blessing. And I hope to read Murray’s two books.

@Stephen L Smith if Thoughts on the NE Revival is his Surprising Work of God, that is a stirring, enlivening and encouraging work.
No, his "Surprising work of God" is included in the "Edwards on Revival" book. It is an excellent collection of his key essays on revival. The Thoughts on the NE revival is actually an expansion of his essay " The Distinguishing Marks of a Work of the Spirit of God". Part 1 is in the "Edwards on Revival Book". Part 2 is this second book.
Conversion accounts are a rich blessing.
Agreed. I have been a little controversial in the past in arguing that people who want to get into the field of Apologetics should read good books on revival. The reason I do this is not to disparage Apologetics (I have previously been on the executive committee of a New Zealand Apologetics society), but to remind people that true conversion is a mighty work of the Spirit of God. To borrow a phrase from Edwards himself, conversion is a "surprising work of God".
I hope to read Murray’s two books.
I previously said his book "Pentecost today" is an outstanding book on revival. I should add his "Revival and Revivalism" is a very helpful historical work documenting that Jonathan Edwards view of revival as a "surprising work of God" is completely different from Charles Finney's man centered view of revival. Finney believed a revival could be brought about by clever means - he was consistent with his Arminiansim.

I also highly recommend Dr Lloyd-Jones 1959 sermons on revival. One may disagree with Dr Lloyd-Jones view on the Baptism of the Spirit, but this disagreement is minor compared to his proclaiming a God-centered, Spirit empowered view of revival and true conversions.

Quote taken from Alexander Cumming's lecture on prayer for revival, from Richard Owen Roberts' "Lectures on Revival," delivered by ministers of Scotland. Go and buy this book!!

A private Christian who holds no office, has no public prominence, prays alone. Ordinarily, God does great works when believers unite themselves in prayer. But despite that being an ordinary case, can that private Christian believe or expect that God may indeed by their prayers turn the world upside down or effect great wonders in their own nation?

Edwards and Cumming say, "Absolutely."

Yea, RP--this should encourage us to pray heartily to our Lord especially in light of the rising tide of demonic influences seeming to take over our country and many parts of the world by storm. We must remember that our prayers are carried to our Heavenly Father perfectly and pure, despite what seems to us (to me at least) often stupid and bumbling words that must, without the intercession of Jesus, sound very crass to our Father. It brings me much joy to know my meager efforts in prayer are looked upon by our Father in Heaven in love because they are brought before him perfectly by our Lord.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back