The Christian Warfare - John Downame

Status
Not open for further replies.

davejonescue

Puritan Board Junior
Hey all, just had some questions about this book, and those who may have read the Solid Ground release. I am currently editing this for Monergism, and in Word, all 4 parts are a little over 1300 pages in 11 point font. Yet, the Solid Ground edition is 675 pages and is a reprint of the 1634 facsimile. Is the Solid Ground all 4 parts? The complete treatise in one volume from that time period equals about 1300 pages as well. Which parts are missing from the Solid Ground edition if any? I am surprised this book hasnt been redone sooner; Beeke says of it: "With the possible exception of Gurnall's 'Christian Armour,' this book is the finest Puritan work on the theme of the Christian warfare. It is also Downame's best work." As usual, TCP (and Project Puritas) have taken the brunt of the work upon themselves having already transcribed the 4 parts; and between Proquests various copies of Parts 1-3 and between the combined treatise and part 4, it is pretty much a matter of search and replace the pieces TCP didnt have.

I think the book goes as:
4 Parts,
10 Books,
232 Chapters

My main question is, have all four parts ever been contemporarily published, even in facsimile? At the rate I am going, this will probably take about a month Lord Willing. I will then send it to Monergism and then post the link here. God Bless.

Last edited:
Why don't you just call Mike at Solid Ground? He's always been super responsive and helpful to me in the past when I've had questions

Why don't you just call Mike at Solid Ground? He's always been super responsive and helpful to me in the past when I've had questions
I tried and it said the mailbox was full. There is a cell number, but I dont think this warrants potentially bothering him while he is busy. It was more of just a personal inquiry, as I already have all 4 parts that need to be edited and formatted, and numerous copies of each for comparison. I just kind of wondered if the full book has ever been published recently.

Dave, the SG version is not all 4 parts.
Thanks Alex. I was kind of scratching my head thinking how they may have fit it all in 675 pages, especially being a facsimile reprint. Hope all is going well with you, and thank you again for the heads up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back