The Biblical Offer of the Gospel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Applogies for butting in but my answer would be "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house" (Acts 16:31).

Very well. And then this sinner says to you, "But I don't know if I'm elect! How can I believe on Jesus without knowing I'm elect?"

I must object to this most strongly. The general call is not common love and nor did Calvin teach that:

I think you would reject anything that does not fit into your Supralapsarian grid my friend. You would reject the general call (Free Offer) and common love.

Read here what Calvin says and let me know what you think.

After having spoken concerning his grace, and exhorted his disciples to steady faith, he now begins to strike the rebellious, though even here he mitigates the severity due to the wickedness of those who deliberately — as it were — reject God; for he delays to pronounce judgment on them, because, on the contrary, he has come for the salvation of all. In the first place, we ought to understand that he does not speak here of all unbelievers without distinction, but of those who, knowingly and willingly, reject the doctrine of the Gospel which has been exhibited to them. Why then does Christ not choose to condemn them? It is because he lays aside for a time the office of a judge, and offers salvation to all without reserve, and stretches out his arms to embrace all, that all may be the more encouraged to repent. And yet there is a circumstance of no small moment, by which he points out the aggravation of the crime, if they reject an invitation so kind and gracious (In other words loving-JL), for it is as if he had said, "Lo, I am here to invite all, and, forgetting the character of a judge, I have this as my single object, to persuade all, and to rescue from destruction those who are already twice ruined." No man, therefore, is condemned on account of having despised the Gospel, except he who, disdaining the lovely message of salvation, has chosen of his own accord to draw down destruction on himself. (Comment on John 12:47)

It's here brother that you will probably reject Calvin as an falable teacher, and so he is. But please do read what Calvin says in all his writings before you pontificate what Calvin did or did not teach. I am afraid that many people do not read Calvin for themselves (I trust this is not you), but rather read him through others who have a particular point that would like to make.

In my own of study on Calvin, I have found him a Infralpasarian, who believed in common grace (yet not in the Kuyperian sense of the term), general love, and the free offer (or serious call) of the gospel. I have yet to see anyone prove this wrong.

Note: The issue that is being debated here is an issue of Hermeneutics. Without understanding, as the Reformers and Puritans did, as well as Augustine, how "love" works in varying senses, one will wind up hypercalvinist or Arminian.

AV1611, I'd have to say with JOwen, that are you aren't familiar with what Calvin taught if you say what you say.

Some thoughts from Calvin:

Concerning God’s love he said, “Proofs of the love of God towards the whole human race exist innumerable, all which demonstrate the ingratitude of those who perish or come ‘to perdition.’ This fact, however, forms no reason whatever why God should not confine His especial or peculiar love to a few, whom He has, in infinite condescension, been pleased to choose out of the rest!”[1]

[1] Calvin, Calvin’s Calvinism, 268 [emphasis mine].

Calvin said concerning John 3:16, “Christ opens up the first cause, and, as it were, the source of our salvation, and he does so, that no doubt may remain; for our minds cannot find calm repose, until we arrive at the unmerited love of God. As the whole matter of our salvation must not be sought any where else than in Christ, so we must see whence Christ came to us, and why he was offered to be our Savior. Both points are distinctly stated to us: namely, that faith in Christ brings life to all, and that Christ brought life, because the Heavenly Father loves the human race, and wishes that they should not perish.”[1]

[1] John Calvin, Calvin’s Commentaries, vol. 17, Harmony of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John 1-11 (Grand Rapids: Baker Book House, 1996), 122-123 [emphasis mine].

“It is a remarkable commendation of faith, that it frees us from everlasting destruction. For he intended expressly to state that, though we appear to have been born to death, undoubted deliverance is offered to us by the faith of Christ; and, therefore, that we ought not to fear death, which otherwise hangs over us. And he has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers. Such is also the import of the term world, which he formerly used; for though nothing will be found in the world that is worthy of the favor of God, yet he shows himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when he invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ, which is nothing else than an entrance into life.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 124- 125.

He confirms the same sentiment in other words, that God desires nothing more earnestly than that those who were perishing and rushing to destruction should return into the way of safety. And for this reason not only is the Gospel spread abroad in the world, but God wished to bear witness through all ages how inclined he is to pity…In the Gospel we hear how familiarly he addresses us when he promises us pardon (Luke 1:78). And this is the knowledge of salvation, to embrace his mercy which he offers us in Christ. It follows, then, that what the Prophet now says is very true, that God wills not the death of a sinner, because he meets him of his own accord, and is not only prepared to receive all who fly to his pity, but he calls them towards him with a loud voice, when he sees how they are alienated from all hope of safety. But the manner must be noticed in which God wishes all to be saved, namely, when they turn themselves from their ways. God thus does not so wish all men to be saved as to renounce the difference between good and evil; but repentance, as we have said, must precede pardon. How, then, does God wish all men to be saved? By the Spirit’s condemning the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment at this day, by the Gospel, as he did formerly by the law and the prophets (John 16:8). God makes manifest to mankind their great misery, that they may betake themselves to him: he wounds that he may cure, and slays that he may give life. We hold, then, that God wills not the death of a sinner, since he calls all equally to repentance, and promises himself prepared to receive them if they only seriously repent. If any one should object—then there is no election of God, by which he has predestinated a fixed number to salvation, the answer is at hand: the Prophet does not here speak of God’s secret counsel, but only recalls miserable men from despair, that they may apprehend the hope of pardon, and repent and embrace the offered salvation. If any one again objects—this is making God act with duplicity, the answer is ready, that God always wishes the same thing, though by different ways, and in a manner inscrutable to us. Although, therefore, God’s will is simple, yet great variety is involved in it, as far as our senses are concerned. Besides, it is not surprising that our eyes should be blinded by intense light, so that we cannot certainly judge how God wishes all to be saved, and yet has devoted all the reprobate to eternal destruction, and wishes them to perish. While we look now through a glass darkly, we should be content with the measure of our own intelligence (1 Corinthians 13:12). When we shall be like God, and see him face to face, then what is now obscure will then become plain. But since captious men torture this and similar passages, it will be needful to refute them shortly, since it can be done without trouble.

Turretin is on that same page:

He says, “Although the goodness of God extends itself to all creatures, yet not equally, but exhibits the greatest diversity in the communication of good. Hence, one is general (by which he follows all creatures, Psalm 36:6-7); and other special (which he has respect to men, Acts 14:17) and another most special (relating to the elect and referred to in Psalm 73:1, “God is good to Israel.”)…From goodness flows love by which he communicates Himself to the creature and, as it were, wills to unite himself with and do good to it, but in diverse ways and degrees according to the diversity of the objects. Hence usually is made a threefold distinction in the divine love: the first, that which follows all creatures, called “love of the creature” (philoktisia); the second, that by which He embraces men called “love of man” (philoanthropia); third, which is specially exercised towards the elect called “love of the elect” (eklectophilia).”[2]

[2] Turretin, Institutes, vol. 1, 241.

Owen is on the same page:

“For the first of these, although it seems not directly to lie in our way, yet it is suited unto the method of the Gospel, that wherever there is a declaration of the excellencies of Christ, in his person, grace or office, it should be accompanied with an invitation or exhortation unto sinners to come to him. This method he himself first made use of (Matthew 11:27-30; John 7:37-38), and consecrated it unto our use also. Besides, it is necessary from the nature of the things themselves; for who can dwell on the consideration of the glory of Christ, being called therewith to the declaration of it, but his own mind will engage him to invite lost sinners unto a participation of him?”[1]

[1] Owen, Works, vol. 1, 419.

He says, “Hereon consider the infinite condescension and love of Christ, in His invitations and call of you to come unto Him for life, deliverance, mercy, grace, peace, and eternal salvation. Multitudes of these invitations and calls are recorded in the Scripture and they are all of them filed up with those blessed encouragements which divine wisdom knows to be suited unto lost, convinced sinners, in their present state and condition.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 422.

“This I shall only say, that in the declaration and preaching of them, Jesus Christ yet stands before sinners, calling, inviting, encouraging them to come unto him.”[1]

[1] Ibid.

“Consider, therefore, His infinite condescension, grace, and love herein. Why all this towards you? Doth He stand in need of you? Have you deserved it at his hands? Did you love Him first? Cannot he be happy and blessed without you? Hath he any design upon you, that he is so earnest in calling you unto him? Alas! It is nothing but the overflowing of mercy, compassion, grace, that moves and acts Him herein… Wherefore, that which is now proposed unto consideration in answer here unto, is the readiness of Christ to receive every sinner, be he who or what he will, that shall come unto Him.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 422-423.

“Yet cast in your net this once more, upon the command of Christ—venture this once more to come unto Him on His call and invitations; you know not what success He may give unto you.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 428.

Edwards too:

, “Hence I would take occasion to invite needy, thirsty souls to come to Jesus…Accept the offered love of him who is the only-begotten Son of God, and his elect, in whom his soul delighteth. Through Christ come to God the Father, from whom you have departed from sin. He is the way the truth, and the life; he is the door, by which if any man enters he shall be saved.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 172.

“We should admire the love of Christ to men, that he has thus given himself to the remedy for all their evil, and a fountain of all good. Christ has given himself for us to be all things for us that we need.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 181.

“Pardon is as much offered and promised to the greatest sinners as any, if they will come aright to God for mercy. The invitations of the gospel are always in universal terms: as, Ho, every one that thirsteth; Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden; and, Whosoever will, let him come. And the voice of Wisdom is to men in general: Proverbs 8:4, ‘Unto you, O men, I call, and my voice is to the sons of men.’ Not to moral men, or religious men, but to you, O men. So Christ promises, John 6:37, ‘Him that cometh to me, I will in no wise cast out.’ This is the direction of Christ to his apostles, after his resurrection, Mark 16:15-16, ‘Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature: he that believeth, and is baptized, shall be saved.’ Which is agreeable to what the apostle saith, that ‘the gospel was preached to every creature which is under heaven,’ Colossians 1:23.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 271-272.

How much Christ appears as the Lamb of God in his invitations to you to come to him and trust in him. With what sweet grace and kindness does he, from time to time, call and invite you, as Proverbs 8:4, “Unto you, O men, I call, and my voice is to the sons of men.” And Isaiah 55:1-3, “Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money, come ye, buy and eat; yea come, buy wine and milk without money, and without price.” How gracious is he here in inviting everyone that thirsts, and in so repeating his invitation over and over, “Come ye to the waters, come, buy and eat; yea come!” Mark the excellency of that entertainment which he invites you to accept of; “Come, buy wine and milk!” your poverty, having nothing to pay for it, shall be no objection, — “Come, he that hath no money, come without money, and without price!” What gracious arguments and expostulations he uses with you! “Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labor for that which satisfieth not? Hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness.” As much as to say [that] it is altogether needless for you to continue laboring and toiling for that which can never serve your turn, seeking rest in the world, and in your own righteousness: — I have made abundant provision for you, of that which is really good, and will fully satisfy your desires, and answer your end, and stand ready to accept of you: you need not be afraid. If you will come to me, I will engage to see all your wants supplied, and you made a happy creature. As he promises in the third verse, “Incline your ear, and come unto me: Hear, and your soul shall live, and I will make an everlasting covenant with you, even the sure mercies of David.” And so Proverbs 9 at the beginning. How gracious and sweet is the invitation there! “Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither;” let you be never so poor, ignorant, and blind a creature, you shall be welcome. And in the following words, Christ sets forth the provision that he has made for you, “Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.” You are in a poor famishing state, and have nothing wherewith to feed your perishing soul; you have been seeking something, but yet remain destitute. Hearken, how Christ calls you to eat of his bread, and to drink of the wine that he has mingled! And how much like a lamb does Christ appear in Matthew 11:28-30, “Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” O thou poor distressed soul! whoever thou art, consider that Christ mentions thy very case, when he calls to them who labor and are heavy laden! How he repeatedly promises you rest if you come to him! In the 28th verse he says, “I will give you rest.” And in the 29th verse, “Ye shall find rest to your souls.” This is what you want. This is the thing you have been so long in vain seeking after. O how sweet would rest be to you, if you could but obtain it! Come to Christ, and you shall obtain it. And hear how Christ, to encourage you, represents himself as a lamb! He tells you, that he is meek and lowly in heart, and are you afraid to come to such a one! And again, Revelation 3:20, “Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and I will sup with him and he with me.” Christ condescends not only to call you to him, but he comes to you. He comes to your door, and there knocks. He might send an officer and seize you as a rebel and vile malefactor, but instead of that, he comes and knocks at your door, and seeks that you would receive him into your house, as your Friend and Savior. And he not only knocks at your door, but he stands there waiting, while you are backward and unwilling. And not only so, but he makes promises what he will do for you, if you will admit him, what privileges he will admit you to; he will sup with you, and you with him. And again, Revelation 22:16, 17, “I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star. And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth, say, come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take of the water of life freely.” How does Christ here graciously set before you his own winning attractive excellency! And how does he condescend to declare to you not only his own invitation, but the invitation of the Spirit and the bride, if by any means he might encourage you to come! And how does he invite everyone that will, that they may “take of the water of life freely,” that they may take it as a free gift, however precious it be, and though it be the water of life…Would you choose for a friend a person of great dignity? It is a thing taking with men to have those for their friends who are much above them, because they look upon themselves honored by the friendship of such. Thus, how taking would it be with an inferior maid to be the object of the dear love of some great and excellent prince. But Christ is infinitely above you, and above all the princes of the earth, for he is the King of kings. So honorable a person as this offers himself to you, in the nearest and dearest friendship.[1]

[1] Edwards, Works, vol. 1, 687.

William Greenhill too:

“Objection, but surely these invitations are in vain if a man cannot come when he is invited. To what end are they? Answer: The sun shines upon the rock, and the rain falls upon the rock, yet no man expects that the sun should melt the rocks or the rain should make the rocks fruitful. But the adjacent parts and fields have the benefit; and so, though invitations fall upon rocks, yet other persons may have the benefit.”[1]

[1] William Greenhill, Christ’s Last Disclosure of Himself (Morgan: Soli Deo Gloria, 1999), 129-130.

“Doctrine: The Lord Christ is very desirous that sinners, thirsty sinners, should come to Him for relief, that they should be saved, that they should have refreshing virtue from Him-grace, pardon, peace, and whatsoever will do their souls good. ‘Let him that is athirst come’ (Revelation 22:17).”[1]

[1] Ibid., 130.

. “Are you a poor, thirsty, sinful soul? Are you lost in your own apprehension? Are you at the gates of death and hell? The Lord Christ came to save you, to seek you out. He is willing, forward and ready to do it. He came for that very end.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 133.

“Is not Christ willing and ready to do good to sinners? He does not forbid them to come to Him, let the disease be what it will, and the diseased party be what he will.”[1]

[1] Ibid.

. “And so when God the Father and Christ the Son command us to believe, they are very willing that we should do so. When princes send out their commands to the people to do such and such things, they are very desirous that they should be done. So when God gives out His commands in the gospel, and when Christ commands men in the gospel to come, it is an argument that there is a strong will in Him for it to happen.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 135.

“He sends out His servants. He sends out ministers to invite and call men saying, ‘The Supper is ready; all things are ready.’”[1]

[1] Ibid., 138.

“He commands us to teach all nations and to acquaint men with the riches of grace by Christ, with the wonderful love and kindness of God in Christ, and what’s to be had in Christ, so that people might come to Him and have mercy and relief from Him.”[1]

[1] Ibid.

“The willingness of the Lord Christ to do sinners good appears in that He does not shut up this water of life, though He knows that but few will come to Him for it, and that those who do come to Him often abase it and Him too.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 141.

“It is wonderfully perspicuous and clear that Christ would do sinners good in that He presses them with the strongest arguments there can be to partake of the good that is to be had by Himself.”[1]

[1] Ibid., 142.

Can I take a moment and give a plug for a book that would clear this up readily?

two%20wills%20small%20TN.jpg
The Two Wills of God
by Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

Description: THROUGH THE CENTURIES, hard questions have been deliberated concerning God’s will. Understanding God’s will and how it theologically functions in relationship to man’s salvation can be a daunting task. Answering some of those questions from the Scriptures brings clarity and helps us understand the glorious God that we serve. Have you ever wondered: Does God love only the elect? If God does not desire the wicked to perish, is God’s will frustrated when the sinner goes his own way? Why is God is seen as “repenting,” or “sad,” and even “changing His mind”?! What is “common grace,” and is it really found in the Bible? Does God desire things He does not decree, and does He decree things He does not desire? How many wills does God have? This book is an attempt to give the Christian the proper hermeneutical tools to define “God’s will” and how that will works in and through redemptive history.

Printed: 550 pages, Paperback, perfect-bound.

Purchase:
Click Here to Purchase

:up:
Can I take a moment and give a plug for a book that would clear this up readily?

two%20wills%20small%20TN.jpg
The Two Wills of God

by Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

Description: THROUGH THE CENTURIES, hard questions have been deliberated concerning God’s will. Understanding God’s will and how it theologically functions in relationship to man’s salvation can be a daunting task. Answering some of those questions from the Scriptures brings clarity and helps us understand the glorious God that we serve. Have you ever wondered: Does God love only the elect? If God does not desire the wicked to perish, is God’s will frustrated when the sinner goes his own way? Why is God is seen as “repenting,” or “sad,” and even “changing His mind”?! What is “common grace,” and is it really found in the Bible? Does God desire things He does not decree, and does He decree things He does not desire? How many wills does God have? This book is an attempt to give the Christian the proper hermeneutical tools to define “God’s will” and how that will works in and through redemptive history.

Printed: 550 pages, Paperback, perfect-bound.

:ditto: Get it. Read it. :up: :up:

If someone wants to know if they are "saved" I would point them to first John. Better yet, I would set a time to go over that book with them!

You would reject the general call (Free Offer) and common love.

I believe in the general call but object to the term Free Offer. :)

Read here what Calvin says and let me know what you think.

After having spoken concerning his grace, and exhorted his disciples to steady faith, he now begins to strike the rebellious, though even here he mitigates the severity due to the wickedness of those who deliberately — as it were — reject God; for he delays to pronounce judgment on them, because, on the contrary, he has come for the salvation of all. In the first place, we ought to understand that he does not speak here of all unbelievers without distinction, but of those who, knowingly and willingly, reject the doctrine of the Gospel which has been exhibited to them. Why then does Christ not choose to condemn them? It is because he lays aside for a time the office of a judge, and offers salvation to all without reserve, and stretches out his arms to embrace all, that all may be the more encouraged to repent. And yet there is a circumstance of no small moment, by which he points out the aggravation of the crime, if they reject an invitation so kind and gracious, for it is as if he had said, "Lo, I am here to invite all, and, forgetting the character of a judge, I have this as my single object, to persuade all, and to rescue from destruction those who are already twice ruined." No man, therefore, is condemned on account of having despised the Gospel, except he who, disdaining the lovely message of salvation, has chosen of his own accord to draw down destruction on himself. (Comment on John 12:47)

I have no objection whatsoever with what Calvin here says. I would also ask him to clarify what he meant by saying "an invitation so kind and gracious". Gracious to whom? How does he reconcile that with what he taught in his Institutes Book 3, Chapter 24.

But please do read what Calvin says in all his writings before you pontificate what Calvin did or did not teach.

Should we give as much weight to young Calvin as old Calvin? Should we place more weight upon a commentary or his systematic theology? I have provided evidence that Calvin did not believe that the gospel call was loving to the reprobate. Your response is to quote Calvin from elsewhere not to deal with the quotes I provided.

I would remind you brother that Calvin loved the grace of God and I say at times when I have mediated upon the gospel that it is loving and gracious yet you would be wrong to use my expression to teach what you want me to mean...in the same way, we must be careful not to read our current debate back into Calvin.

Isaiah 55:1-3, “Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money, come ye, buy and eat; yea come, buy wine and milk without money, and without price.” How gracious is he here in inviting everyone that thirsts, and in so repeating his invitation over and over, “Come ye to the waters, come, buy and eat; yea come!”

Who is God inviting? He is "inviting everyone that thirsts". Question: do all thirst?
"Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me, for I am meek and lowly in heart, and ye shall find rest to your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

Who is Christ bidding? Christ bids "all ye that labor and are heavy laden". Question: are all heavy laden?

Question: do all thirst?

Would this coorolate with the beattitude

Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.

If so, I would say that not all do, no.

Who is God inviting? He is "inviting everyone that thirsts". Question: do all thirst?

Who is Christ bidding? Christ bids "all ye that labor and are heavy laden". Question: are all heavy laden?

These questions are resorting back to the invisible/inward. The invitation is connected with the outward call. The "thirsting" is the work of the Holy Spirit granting one the ability to accept the invitation. There is a difference.

Question: Would you judge if someone truely is thirsting or heavy laden before extending the outward gospel call? If so, how would you go about judging this?

Another Question: Are all who are thirsty and heavy laden elect? If not, does the invitation as you see it apply to the unelect thristy and heavy laden people?

Then I would ask him where he heard such nonsense!

This is what you hear from convicted sinners in Hypercalvinist churches who don't believe in a free offer. And you still didn't answer the question. This seeking sinner has been sitting under preaching that says only the elect will be saved by Christ. He is waiting for you to clarify why his question is nonsense. How can he believe on Christ as his Savior without the assurance that he is elect?

This is what you hear from convicted sinners in Hypercalvinist churches who don't believe in a free offer.

Have you first hand experience of this? I know a few ex-Gospel Standard folks.

Puritan Sailor said:
He is waiting for you to clarify why his question is nonsense. How can he believe on Christ as his Savior without the assurance that he is elect?

It is nonsense because it is not true, it is nowhere in Scripture. Such people would need a careful listener not a militant anti-(hyper)Calvinist ranter.

In what way is the EC 'general'?

Canons I, 3 "And that men may be brought to believe, God mercifully sends the messengers of these most joyful tidings, to whom he will and at what time he pleaseth; by whose ministry men are called to repentance and faith in Christ crucified. Romans 10:14, 15:"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach except they be sent?""

Canons II, 5 "Moreover, the promise of the gospel is, that whosoever believeth in Christ crucified, shall not perish, but have everlasting life. This promise, together with the command to repent and believe, ought to be declared and published to all nations, and to all persons promiscuously and without distinction, to whom God out of his good pleasure sends the gospel."

Canons III/IV, 8 "As many as are called by the gospel, are unfeignedly called. For God hath most earnestly and truly shown in his Word, what is pleasing to him, namely, that those who are called should come to him. He, moreover, seriously promises eternal life, and rest, to as many as shall come to him, and believe on him."

Have you first hand experience of this? I know a few ex-Gospel Standard folks.

It is nonsense because it is not true, it is nowhere in Scripture. Such people would need a careful listener not a militant anti-(hyper)Calvinist ranter.

Yes I know people who struggled with this, from Dutch circles. And yes I would agree its nonsense. But why? You still haven't answered the question. The frustated seeker is still waiting for you to tell him the answer now that you have called his concern nonsense and unbiblical. How can he believe on Christ as HIS Savior without assurance of election?

Canons I, 3 "And that men may be brought to believe, God mercifully sends the messengers of these most joyful tidings, to whom he will and at what time he pleaseth; by whose ministry men are called to repentance and faith in Christ crucified. Romans 10:14, 15:"How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher? And how shall they preach except they be sent?""

Canons II, 5 "Moreover, the promise of the gospel is, that whosoever believeth in Christ crucified, shall not perish, but have everlasting life. This promise, together with the command to repent and believe, ought to be declared and published to all nations, and to all persons promiscuously and without distinction, to whom God out of his good pleasure sends the gospel."

Canons III/IV, 8 "As many as are called by the gospel, are unfeignedly called. For God hath most earnestly and truly shown in his Word, what is pleasing to him, namely, that those who are called should come to him. He, moreover, seriously promises eternal life, and rest, to as many as shall come to him, and believe on him."

The above does not discriminate. The secret things of God are God's.........

IV. Others, not elected, although they may be called by the ministry of the Word,[15] and may have some common operations of the Spirit,[16] yet they never truly come unto Christ, and therefore cannot be saved:[17] much less can men, not professing the Christian religion, be saved in any other way whatsoever,[17] be they never so diligent to frame their lives according to the light of nature, and the laws of that religion they do profess.[18] And, to assert and maintain that they may, is very pernicious, and to be detested.[19]

15. Matt. 13:14-15; 22:14; Acts 13:48; 28:24
16. Matt. 7:22; 13:20, 21; Heb. 6:4-5
17. John 6:37, 64-66; 8:44; 13:18; cf. 17:12
18. Acts 4:12; I John 4:2-3; II John 1:9; John 4:22; 14:6; 17:3; Eph. 2:12-13; Rom. 10:13-17
19. II John 1:9-12; I Cor. 16:22; Gal. 1:6-8

Outward call -vs- inward.

The above does not discriminate.

You wanted me to post why the external call is general i.e. the gospel is preached to all. I take it by the comment above you agree with me.

Yes I know people who struggled with this, from Dutch circles. And yes I would agree its nonsense. But why? You still haven't answered the question. The frustated seeker is still waiting for you to tell him the answer now that you have called his concern nonsense and unbiblical. How can he believe on Christ as HIS Savior without assurance of election?

Because the assurance of our election is not a precondition of our believing but rather our believeing makes manifest our election (if it is persevering).

Because the assurance of our election is not a precondition of our believing but rather our believeing makes manifest our election (if it is persevering).

Very true. But that still doesn't help this seeker out. What grounds does he have go to Christ, the Savior of the elect, and call upon Him to be HIS Savior if he doesn't need assurance of election? How can he know that Christ will receive him? Christ only loves and receives the elect, correct? If it's not on the grounds of knowing he is elect, then on what grounds can he come to Christ for salvation?

Very true. But that still doesn't help this seeker out. What grounds does he have go to Christ, the Savior of the elect, and call upon Him to be HIS Savior if he doesn't need assurance of election? How can he know that Christ will receive him? Christ only loves and receives the elect, correct? If it's not on the grounds of knowing he is elect, then on what grounds can he come to Christ for salvation?

This is a good point to ponder brother. The grounds are the promises, or as the Marrow would say the "that Jesus Christ is the Father's deed of gift and grant unto all mankind lost". Find out what was meant by this and yo have found the gospel offer.

What grounds does he have go to Christ, the Savior of the elect, and call upon Him to be HIS Savior if he doesn't need assurance of election? How can he know that Christ will receive him? Christ only loves and receives the elect, correct? If it's not on the grounds of knowing he is elect, then on what grounds can he come to Christ for salvation?

If he goes to Christ then Christ will receive him:

John 4:14 "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

Rev 22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

John 6:37 "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

Is he weary, heavy laden? Then "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

If he goes to Christ then Christ will receive him:

John 4:14 "But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

Rev 22:17 "And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely."

John 6:37 "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

Is he weary, heavy laden? Then "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

Ah. So Christ has issued an invitation to him. Would you agree?

Ah. So Christ has issued an invitation to him. Would you agree?

Absolutely!

Matthew 22:1-14 "And Jesus answered and spake unto them again by parables, and said, The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which made a marriage for his son, And sent forth his servants to call them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. But they made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his merchandise: And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them spitefully, and slew them. But when the king heard thereof, he was wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers, and burned up their city. Then saith he to his servants, The wedding is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. Go ye therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the marriage. So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding was furnished with guests. And when the king came in to see the guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back