The Best Exercise Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

alwaysreforming

Puritan Board Sophomore
Since you guys are talking about dieting, and perhaps having to start exercising, I feel that I cannot in good conscience hold back from telling you what the best exercise machine out there is....

Ready?..... Ok, answer: The Total Gym

Believe me, I've demo'd everything out there, read all the consumer reports, etc., and there is no machine (for the money) that is better than the TotalGym. I've talked MANY people into buying them, and everybody is thrilled with theirs.

The ONLY problem you might have with it is if you're tall or very heavy, in which case you'll have to spring for the heavier-duty model and not the one for $200 in the dept. stores.

If you're interested in getting one, I'd search the net and try to get a slightly heavier duty model than the one in the stores. And by all means, don't buy it off the infomercial, that model is WAY too expensive for what you get.

The Total Gym will work all your muscle groups through a FULL range of motion (something every other machine SAYS they have, but lie about). It gives you a great variety of movements so you won't get bored. You can have very little resistance if you want so its ideal for fat burning. The only muscle group that doesn't get the best workout on it is your calves, but those can easily be done through other means if necessary.

Believe me, this machine, for the money, is FAR FAR better than anything like exercise bikes, Weider home gyms, etc.

but Paul,

then I'd have to be away from the Puritan Board. I just don't know if I could take it.

:lol:

Phillip

PS - by the Way, going to the gym is a good thing. When I went to the local city Rec Center to work out I discovered that they had large rooms for rent available on Sunday for dirt cheap hourly rates. That is where our church has been meeting for 2 years now, right down the hall from the weight room and Olympic sized baptistry.

:roll::bouncy::roll:

[Edited on 3-3-04 by pastorway]

[quote:4100a0586c][i:4100a0586c]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:4100a0586c]

If you want to work-out...get a gym pass. Besides, it does ya good to get away from the house and go to the gym environment.

-Paul [/quote:4100a0586c]

Reply...

:bouncy: loves the smell of somebody elses sweat in the morning.

[quote:1d26b569fd][i:1d26b569fd]Originally posted by alwaysreforming[/i:1d26b569fd]Believe me, this machine, for the money, is FAR FAR better than anything like exercise bikes, Weider home gyms, etc. [/quote:1d26b569fd]
But do you get a good cardio workout with it? Or is it primarily for muscle building and toning?

After looking at a million different ab workout gadgets and gimmicks I have found that the most efficient and economic piece of equipment is that large inflatable ball.

There is no end to the list of muscle and toning exercises you can do on these things. Simply sitting on them forces you to use muscles around your mid section. They cost between 12 and 20 bucks and will replace any of those ab machines.

:wr50:

[quote:33190d14d3]Originally posted by puritansailor But do you get a good cardio workout with it? Or is it primarily for muscle building and toning? [/quote:33190d14d3]

If you work quickly through any routine you can get your heart rate close to a target zone......most people though dautle through their regimens.

Here is the home machine Tina and I have; it is close to the "Hammer Strength" machines you can find in any Gold's or "World".

[img:33190d14d3]http://www.semperreformanda.com/images/powertech_bench.jpg[/img:33190d14d3]

I had the Total Gym and other various equipment. I even have a $2500 elliptical machine for cardio that I would use 5-7 days a week. However after much research, testing, and money, I found the best to be the Bow Flex in conjunction with a sensible diet. Moreover, I have found that 3 days of weight training (i.e., circuit training-8-12 reps of 8-12 different exercises, with no more than 1 min. rest in between) is the best way to lose weight, lower blood pressure, and get in shape.

Don't worry about cardio. It is over rated!! You will get enough cardio in during your circuit training. Moreover, new research has found that people with BMI over 25% who do just cardio or add additional cardio to that obtained in circuit training, is often detrimental to their health and weight loss. I am a case and point. I have lost 40 lbs in 2 months by omitting my elliptical cardio routine, following a sensible low calorie diet (sorry the low carb diets forced me to consume too many calories a day), and Bow Flexing

[quote:b0201e7c51][i:b0201e7c51]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:b0201e7c51]
yea, but can you get the smell of testosterone in your nose when you squatting 650 lbs? [/quote:b0201e7c51]

Reply...

Or quite possible, the smell of something else.:bouncy:

[quote:7a66654952][i:7a66654952]Originally posted by Paul manata[/i:7a66654952]
would that be protien shake gas? [/quote:7a66654952]

Reply...

Well, that depends. Was this the last thing you ate?:bouncing::bouncing:

Scott: That looks like an AWESOME machine you have there! How much does something like that go for?

For everyone else:
My recommendation for the TotalGym over the other pieces of equipment was directed to those who are not currently exercising and going on various diets to lose weight, and now find out that they need to exercise.
The reason I recommend it over the BowFlex, etc. is because it is very inexpensive, is somewhat "fun" to use, takes up very little space, is very "natural", and can be used by people at any level.

However, for you weight trainers out there, I would say that Scott's HammerStrength type machine, or the Bowflex would give you the additional "resistance" necessary to really pack on lbs of additional muscle.

The TotalGym is good for a cardio/strength/endurance/toning/weight-loss/overall exercising workout. What happens with most people is that they get into a rut of learning just a few exercises with their new piece of equipment, it soons grows boring and unproductive, and they quit.
The TotalGym will give you a lot of variety, alleviates the need to do warm ups (because the machine does that for you as you start off at lower inclines), and uses all of your various "stabalizing" muscles because you're not locked in to a certain mechanical motion of one simple direction.
My recommendation still stands for the average, money-challenged and time-challenged person to get this machine if they are wanting to lose weight and tone up. It really works, and is just a GREAT machine for the money! If anyone has a bad experience with theirs (besides an occassional lemon) it must be because they simply weren't shown how to use it correctly and productively. Believe me, I've turned several "non-exercisers" into "athletes" with their learning how to use the machine.

[quote:2fc06d277e][i:2fc06d277e]Originally posted by JWJ[/i:2fc06d277e]
Don't worry about cardio. It is over rated!! You will get enough cardio in during your circuit training. Moreover, new research has found that people with BMI over 25% who do just cardio or add additional cardio to that obtained in circuit training, is often detrimental to their health and weight loss. I am a case and point. I have lost 40 lbs in 2 months by omitting my elliptical cardio routine, following a sensible low calorie diet (sorry the low carb diets forced me to consume too many calories a day), and Bow Flexing [/quote:2fc06d277e]

I must say I would disagree! Can you elaborate on the "new" research and provide doc. I will post more on this later as I am at work, but I must say as a CPT, RTS and a resistance equip. analyst...I am not convinced. I would have to agree with Paul (get a gym membership). I also think that the best 'bang for your buck' would be, as maxdetail said, the exercise ball, or swiss ball as some are called.

For those who think cardio is not over rated or that weight training is not more important than cardio when losing weight-- read the latest research and books by Dr. Ellington Darden, a renown medical doctor and trainer. There are also many testimonies of past cardio buffs, myself included (many of whom were aerobic instructors). Do an Internet search and you will be amazed!

Please do not misconstrue my words as if I am saying that cardio is not important. It is! However, compared to weight training, it is not the largest contributing factor to weight loss, and it is unnecessary (i.e., no added health effects) to do it 5-7 days a week, 30-45min at a crack. Again, for people overweight and over 30, it can cause them to over train and thus stifle weight loss and the building of LBM.

JWJ

One power rack
One flat bench
4-600 LBs of Olympic Weights

You could pick up the whole system for less than $500 if you search classifieds and yard sales. You can do all you need to do: squats, deadlifts, pullups, clean&jerks, bench presses, curls, military presses etc. I highly doubt that you would run into the problem of outgrowing your iron.

If you are a little off and want to do cardio, run around the block.

I still just go to the gym though :bigsmile:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back