The Beautiful Black Hills

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
We always enjoy sharing the splendor of the Black Hills with visiting friends and families - but as impressive as some of man's work may be in our area, it pales amongst God's own handiwork! If any PB'ers ever find themselves in our neck of the woods, we would love to host and show you around!

IMG_8728.jpeg

1664754002384.jpeg

1664754373587.jpeg

1664754088633.jpeg

1664754448093.jpeg

1664753945685.jpeg

Last edited:
I absolutely LOVE the Black Hills. It’s one of my favorite places. I’ll be heading there On Oct 31 for two weeks of study leave.

I absolutely LOVE the Black Hills. It’s one of my favorite places. I’ll be heading there On Oct 31 for two weeks of study leave.
Well, if you're of a mind to do so, send me a PM and we could arrange a hook up! Or maybe we'll at least see you at church...

Family trip through there and around as a kid (too young, don't remember) and then as a teen (don't remember really either; and family albums scanned and out of my hands so visual cues to prod the memory are not to hand). I do remember he observation/lunch place at Rushmore was the same as in North by Northwest; is it still?

I do remember he observation/lunch place at Rushmore was the same as in North by Northwest; is it still?
No, virtually all of the original visitor facilities were replaced in the 1990's. The new facilities are nice and better suited for handling a large visitor load, but they're also less charming and intimate. As a kid I worked at a nearby ice cream shop for a man that had worked with Borglum carving the mountain, and he arranged for us climb to the top, in 2003! Quite a privilege...

Love th black hills, especially hill city and Deadwood!
I went to elementary school in Hill City for a few years - a looong time ago - and it's really turned into a nice town since then. Recently had lunch at the Alpine Inn there - great German food!

1664764118002.jpeg

Gorgeous photos again. The Black Hills don’t get the press coverage of their larger cousins the Rockies but are stunning in their own way. I regret not visiting them when I was able to travel more.

No, virtually all of the original visitor facilities were replaced in the 1990's. The new facilities are nice and better suited for handling a large visitor load, but they're also less charming and intimate. As a kid I worked at a nearby ice cream shop for a man that had worked with Borglum carving the mountain, and he arranged for us climb to the top, in 2003! Quite a privilege...
That certainly is a privilege! There's a camp that one of my friends counseled at on the way to Hill City from Rapid. He once took me on a hike that brought us up to the federal property line behind the faces - that's the closest I ever got to being on top of Mt. Rushmore!

There's a camp that one of my friends counseled at on the way to Hill City from Rapid. He once took me on a hike that brought us up to the federal property line behind the faces
Must have been Camp Judson, a Baptist church camp that also rents out to other Christian groups. Nice place, been there a few times over the years.

Must have been Camp Judson, a Baptist church camp that also rents out to other Christian groups. Nice place, been there a few times over the years.
Yeah, that's the one! I never attended the camp, just used the grounds for hiking with my buddy. I don't know much about the camp itself, but the scenery is beautiful, as evidenced by the rest of the Black Hills in your photos!

You're in luck - they're open year round! They serve a full German menu for lunch, and a very limited but scrumptious filet mignon based dinner. Quite resonable South Dakota prices too. Oh, and they're cash only, but there is an ATM in the lobby.
Alpine Inn is great for a special meal in Hill City, but my wife and I loved taking the drive out to Custer so we could have Burger and Bun Co's burgers. South Dakota beef and bison, doesn't get much better than that. Also Armadillo's ice cream in Rapid.

Yeah, the owners of Armadillo’s are old family friends and go to our church!
Whaaaat, that's awesome! When we lived there, my wife and I would stop all throughout the summer for their limited time flavors. I'm not proud to admit this, but our last week there, we probably went to Armadillo's every night. We couldn't bear the thought of parting with the delicious soft serve!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back