The Arminian "god" is not Worshippable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by C. Matthew McMahon
But at the same time, I've received emails and U2Us to the contrary that have thanked me for the article. It seemed to clear to them.

Well, what some have said about your article is hardly an orthodox view of the Gospel and risks mixing law and Gospel.

First of all, your paragraph that addresses the Arminians seems to suggest that anyone under these teaching is likely unconverted, but many here seem to be saying that there really aren't any true Arminians (i.e. Spurgeon's Arminian prayer example). I think that both are untrue, but it is demonstrable that Arminians do know their theology. There is a misconception here at PB that Arminians tend to be ignorant of their theology. While there are more default Arminians today that Calvinists, the Arminian position has been as intellectually developed as the Calvinist one.

Worse than that, some seem to be implying that the quality of our faith is the basis of our justification, rather than the object of our faith which is Christ. Forgive me for pointing out this irony, but that is the heresy of the Arminians that we should be more concerned with. To say or even imply that the quality of faith affects our justifcation and then to condemn those synergists as damned heretics seems to be a straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel.

While those on my side have been accused by some of being caught up in the spirit of the age, it is the accusers that are so caught up in modernistic reductions, that they can't see the forest for the trees.

[Edited on 2-13-2006 by raderag]

Brett -

Stop trying to guess at things, be sure to keep things in context and don't assume anything.

I don't think people are saying its the quality of "the faith", but rather, WHO that faith is placed on/in.

Well, what some have said about your article is hardly an orthodox view of the Gospel and risks mixing law and Gospel.

Can you quote me something about the Law/Gospel distinction in the articel that was incorrect? Never mind, I'll let you off the hook - I didn't even discuss the Law/Gospel distinction, so I can't see how it got "mixed." Law was ONLY mentioned in the Scripture for Hosea 4:6. So I can't see how that woudl be "mixed" if I didn't use it, or talk about it.

But that really is not the issue. The issue is understanding regeneration and faith.

First of all, your paragraph that addresses the Arminians seems to suggest that anyone under these teaching is likely unconverted

Here is my first paragraph - where is this stated??

"Throughout the Old Testament God warns His church that false shepherds are under His judgment and condemnation. They lead the flock of God astray and teach false doctrines that are "œempowered" by demonic lies and satanic ploys to tear people away from God, and rely on their own works for salvation. God says in Jeremiah 23:1, "Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of My pasture!" Again, God states in Jeremiah 23:2, "œTherefore thus says the LORD God of Israel against the shepherds who feed My people: "You have scattered My flock, driven them away, and not attended to them. Behold, I will attend to you for the evil of your doings," says the LORD." Christ warned His disciples that deceivers would come into the fold and deceive many being ferocious wolves among the sheep of God´s chosen people. Matthew 7:15 says, "œBeware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves." Paul spoke to the Ephesian elders and warned them in like manner in Acts 20:29, "œFor I know this, that after my departure savage wolves will come in among you, not sparing the flock." The Apostle Peter echoes the same when he warns the church against false teachers who come in teaching destructive heresies. 2 Peter 2:1 states, "œBut there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies..." Certainly, false teachers and false shepherds are a grave problem for the life and sanctifying vitality of the flock of God."

It sounds to me like you are pulling things out of the magicians hat. I believe that first paragraph is about false teachers. Correct me if I'm wrong.

but many here seem to be saying that there really aren't any true Arminians (i.e. Spurgeon's Arminian prayer example). I think that both are untrue, but it is demonstrable that Arminians do know their theology. There is a misconception here at PB that Arminians tend to be ignorant of their theology. While there are more default Arminians today that Calvinists, the Arminian position has been as intellectually developed as the Calvinist one.

I would agree that many have a full orbed Arminianism, and hwole denomionations of people are following thier teaching. I was in one when I was first converted.

Worse than that, some seem to be implying that the quality of our faith is the basis of our justification, rather than the object of our faith which is Christ. Forgive me for pointing out this irony, but that is the heresy of the Arminians that we should be more concerned with. To say or even imply that the quality of faith affects our justifcation and then to condemn those synergists as damned heretics seems to be a straining out a gnat and swallowing a camel.

While those on my side have been accused by some of being caught up in the spirit of the age, it is the accusers that are so caught up in modernistic reductions, that they can't see the forest for the trees.

Remember, Mormons say they know "Jesus." So do JWs. As a matter of fact, so do Islamics and Hindus. But the "content" of "Jesus Christ" is the question at hand for the Arminian heresy. "I trust in Jesus" is an utterly meaningless statement without content, even without regeneration. What does "trust" mean and what does "Jesus" mean - these are actually inconsequential for regeneration, but not inconseqential to true faith. To have a regenerate Christian, one needs to be regenerate (sovereign grace); being born from above so perception can take place. To have a regenerate Christian that exercises faith in the Gospel, you need regeneration (sovereign grace) AND the Gospel (biblical Gospel content in a minimum degree). This is really what everyone is arguing over and some are trying to mix up both together which are completely different things.

The next paper will clear that up.

[Edited on 2-13-2006 by C. Matthew McMahon]

I think Scott was right to close this. My bad. People are still on the same track and running int he same circles.

Let's stick a fork in it - OK its done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back