The Antichrist

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mexican Puritan

Puritan Board Freshman
I was always under the impression that in the future there will a political figure who will require all to receive his mark or not be able to buy or sell. Do the Reformed churches not hold to this? Someone ran down to me the amillennial view of eschatology, and it just didn't seem correct. I think one should get his Bible, pray for the Spirit's help, and come to his own conclusion. No one can really decisively answer this qustion, can they?

Last edited:
You may find helpful a search (upper right) on "amillenialism." This is a big topic, and there have been threads recently about this generally, so do a search.

Reformed theology is at a minimum:
Calvinism ("five points") + covenant theology + confession of faith

The millennial views of covenant theology are amillennial, postmillenial or historical premillennial. What you are speaking of is usually associated with an altogether different view, modern dispensational premillenialism- and that is not "reformed."

I was always under the impression that in the future there will a political figure who will require all to receive his mark or not be able to buy or sell.
I agree with the Reformers and the Puritans on this issue. The Antichrist will be a political leader as well as a religious leader, who is (was) none other then the Pope of Rome.

Do the Reformed churches not hold to this?
I believe they (most) held to the Pope being the Antrichrist.
Someone ran down to me the amillennial view of eschatology, and it just didn't seem correct. I think one should get his Bible, pray for the Spirit's help, and come to his own conclusion. No one can really decisively answer this qustion, can they?
Personally I believe Amillennialism is the view of scripture. It, I believe lines up best with scripture.

The question of Papal Anti-Christ and "Millenialism" are really two separate issues. There are plenty of "Post-Mills" that do not hold to Papal Anti-Christ and likewise there are A-Mills that do hold to Papal Anti-Christ. Whichever Millennial position you hold does not necessarily lock you into a position on the Anti-Christ.

No you cant come to a one hundred percent certain answer but you can come to a close approximation of what you think is right. I for instance favor the view that Nero is the Antichrist but I could just as easily be wrong.

I too have been under this impression, as this is what my mom had taught me. However, I was at a lost as how to get that from what the Bible after I read through the New Testament (this was not long before I found the truth of the five points of Calvinism). I mentioned to my mom that I couldn't find a lot of what she said about the anti-Christ from the Bible, so I asked her where she found it. Her response?

Well, I got it from the Left Behind series. I figure that Tim LaHaye is the theologian so he should figure all of that stuff out. I've just trusted his judgment.

She's a minister and reads through the Bible every year. :doh:

1. I will give anyone here the sum of one million dollars if they can find the term antichrist linked to a political figure in Scripture.

2. I challenge any of you to find the term in the Book of Revelation.

3. Why did none of the New Testament writers ever mention this 'antichrist' figure.

4. Since John defines antichrist very well in his letters, why does he not mention a political connection.

5. Why didn't the Lord Jesus ever mention this 'antichrist' figure if he is so all-fired important? One wold think that such an important teaching surely would not be left out by the Lord.

Antichrists were Gnostic heretics which were invading the church with their lies.

There will be no future 'antichrist-dictator'. That is a whole cloth doctrine mostly associated with pre-millennialism.

-----Added 7/22/2009 at 12:00:05 EST-----

I too have been under this impression, as this is what my mom had taught me. However, I was at a lost as how to get that from what the Bible after I read through the New Testament (this was not long before I found the truth of the five points of Calvinism). I mentioned to my mom that I couldn't find a lot of what she said about the anti-Christ from the Bible, so I asked her where she found it. Her response?

Well, I got it from the Left Behind series. I figure that Tim LaHaye is the theologian so he should figure all of that stuff out. I've just trusted his judgment.

Jake...your mom has in that statement embodied the problem with the Church at Large today. Believers failing to study to show themselves approved unto God. Believers taking hokey fiction as Gospel truth. Believers swallowing whatever poisoned meal is put before them.

I trust that Mr. LaHaye will receive his judgment.

Well....

Anyway, the confessions are a good place to start fiddling with the issue of who the anti-Christ is... :book2:

Besides, I believe one position is definitely absolutely spot on.. pan-millennialism, by one of the pb members here. :lol::lol:

LBC CH26 Paragraph 4. The Lord Jesus Christ is the Head of the church, in whom, by the appointment of the Father, all power for the calling, institution, order or government of the church, is invested in a supreme and sovereign manner;7 neither can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof, but is that antichrist, that man of sin, and son of perdition, that exalts himself in the church against Christ, and all that is called God; whom the Lord shall destroy with the brightness of his coming.8
7 Col. 1:18; Matt. 28:18-20; Eph. 4:11,12
8 2 Thess. 2:2-9

WCF CH XXV VI. There is no other head of the Church but the Lord Jesus Christ: nor can the Pope of Rome in any sense be head thereof; but is that Antichrist, that man of sin and son of perdition, that exalteth himself in the Church against Christ, and all that is called God.

The footnotes in the Geneva Bible may also help with this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back