The Americas cup has become the New Zealand cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Americans are the most humble people in the world. Nobody even compares to us when it comes to humility. In fact, I think no other country in world history has been more humble than Americans have been. We’re just the best at humility.

Americans are the most humble people in the world. Nobody even compares to us when it comes to humility. In fact, I think no other country in world history has been more humble than Americans have been. We’re just the best at humility.
Ah brother, I thought a humble nation, Biblically speaking, would have a King or Queen to reign over them and they also would speak the King or Queen's English. New Zealand scores highly in that regard, I'm proud to say.

I couldn't resist :lol:

For some reason this all reminds me of a sign that you can see as you enter our town: "Power of Pride."

The paint is chipped and it's leaning to the side because of prevailing winds.

For some reason this all reminds me of a sign that you can see as you enter our town: "Power of Pride."
The heading is the one used on our media here. In a true sense on can have a national pride in ones nation, but equally Christians in all Western nations have to acknowledge that the advancing sexual revolution means judgment. Sad but inevitable.

Just an explanatory point - the New Zealand media has been making a big deal of this but it is a big event for a small country to defeat a large country. Yachting is really a rich mans sport; I enjoy some of the festive spirit but in reality have to remember the empty vanity of worldly celebration Col 3:2.

Outside of the San Diego area, few people in America care who wins the America's Cup. A majority probably could not tell you what sport it goes with, or even spell "yachting."

So that cup (is there an actual cup?) is probably right where it belongs, among an island people who appreciate it. Enjoy.

Outside of the San Diego area, few people in America care who wins the America's Cup. A majority probably could not tell you what sport it goes with, or even spell "yachting."

So that cup (is there an actual cup?) is probably right where it belongs, among an island people who appreciate it. Enjoy.
I clicked on the link hoping to find out what sport it was and was disappointed when it didn't say. I say the kiwis aim for the Stanley Cup next.

I'm not in San Diego, but here in RI the Cup is a big deal: the yacht club that sponsored the American team is here; the boat was built here (I have several friends who worked on it); I know one of the TV commentators for the event; it was discussed every day at work, and even today.
I congragulate you, @Steven L Smith, for your countrymen's victory. It was a good event.

I'm not in San Diego, but here in RI the Cup is a big deal: the yacht club that sponsored the American team is here; the boat was built here (I have several friends who worked on it); I know one of the TV commentators for the event; it was discussed every day at work, and even today.
I congragulate you, @Steven L Smith, for your countrymen's victory. It was a good event.
Ah, Rhode Island overlooked again. It seems I'm guilty of a Pacific-Coast bias, and I stand corrected.

Ah, Rhode Island overlooked again. It seems I'm guilty of a Pacific-Coast bias, and I stand corrected.
I'm more Pacific Coast than you and the Cup is a far bigger deal to me than the Super Bowl or World Series...so there's that! (But I'm a boat builder too).

I'm more Pacific Coast than you and the Cup is a far bigger deal to me than the Super Bowl or World Series.
I haven't kept up with the America's Cup since Red Ted won it. I don't watch the so-called Super Bowl, but I think I heard that one of the locally owned teams lost this year. I think there were some pro baseball games last year, but I couldn't testify one way or the other as to whether there was a World's Series.

I did learn in my men's Bible study small group that there is apparently a college basketball tournament this year, as one member played college ball, and another mentioned sending in his ballot for the All American teams. Someone mentioned that Kentucky and Duke weren't in, but there wasn't any discussion of who was playing.

I'm confused why there's an American cup in New Zealand......don't they have their own cup? Someone get them a beer in their own cup!

I'm confused why there's an American cup in New Zealand......don't they have their own cup? Someone get them a beer in their own cup!
There was once a famous sailboat race wherein a club was formed to build a boat to win it. That boat, built by the New York Yacht Club, was named "America." They won the cup, over in Europe somewhere, and won it again and again for decades--they had the longest winning streak in sports history. So it became known as "America's Cup," and when the Aussies finally took it away in ('83, I think?), to change the name would have disrupted the continuity of the event. Next team to have it for half a century gets to name it whatever they want.
There is an actual cup--a hideously ornate silver flagon, ugly beyond description, that gets trotted out at the events.

More credit is due to America for humility because when you’re the best it makes it all the harder.

More credit is due to America for humility because when you’re the best it makes it all the harder.
Don't know where you get the best idea from. New Zealand has won the America's cup multiple times. The heading I used for this forum was first used when we won in 2000.

Now I'm starting to hear that old Mac Davis song "It's hard to be humble." I don't want to link it because it is irreverent and crass. But on point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back