The 20th Century Revival of Genevan Psalmody

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a look at the blurb about this book. It seems strange to go to the Christian Reformed Church to look for a "20th Century Revival of Genevan Psalmody." After all, it was the Canadian Reformed churches which published the first complete Genevan Psalter in English. We continue to use all 150 Psalms set to Genevan melodies. The Christian Reformed Church on the other hand has by and large moved away from the Genevan tunes (aside from a few). But perhaps Overduin gives due credit to the Canadian Reformed churches in the book -- hard to say without actually seeing it.

This book is very different than I expected. Different, but interesting, nevertheless.

It begins by tracing a brief sketch of the history of Genevan psalmody up to the 20th century (including a poignant moment in history that is near to my heart -- the massacre of French Huguenots by the Spanish in Florida in 1565 and the Indians who continued to sing French-Genevan psalms for the next 50 years in memory of les Huguenots). Then it covers rather the decline of Geneva psalmody in the CRC during the 20th century with only a little said about a revival, it seems to me.

Most of the book is devoted to a study of select tune composers and an analysis of specific versifications.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back