Thanksgiving in Full Color. Eight Psalms. ( Ps 9, 75, 92, 105, 106, 107, 118, 136 )

Status
Not open for further replies.

whirlingmerc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Thanksgiving in Full Color.

One Psalm by title a psalm of thanksgiving, Ps 100
Enter his gates with thanksgiving
From there, pass into his courts with praise

More Psalms leading in with thanksgiving Psalms 75, 92, 105, 106, 107, 116, 118. 136.

And yet more Psalms of thanksgiving augmented with psalms of blessing, praise and love.
The bless man meets the blessed God

Book 1 - The 'blessed man'

The blessed man starts book 1 in Psalms 1 and 2

The blessed man restored Psalm 8 first octave of Psalms sung to the theme blessed anointed, a place refuge, opposed,aflicted then exalted

A thanks a midst the conflict
Psalm 7:17 I will give to the Lord the thanks due to his righteousness, and I will sing praise to the name of the Lord, the Most High.

A thanks after the conflict
Psalm 9. A Psalm written with a strange sounding title for a celebration: a song sung to ‘the death of a son’
The death of a son, tragic, rebellious, an end of a civil war brought tears to a Father’s, David’s, life
Thanks and praise directed to God, Judgment directed to the wicked, Hope extended to the humble
Deliverance beyond a tragedy, judgment for evil and help. "I will be glad and rejoice." Brokenhearted healed.
Portending a greater deliverance in the death of a greater son

Psalm 26:7 proclaiming thanksgiving aloud, and telling all your wondrous deeds.

Psalm 28:7 The Lord is my strength and my shield; in him my heart trusts, and I am helped; my heart exults, and with my song I give thanks to him.

Psalm 30:4 Sing praises to the Lord, O you his saints, and give thanks to his holy name

Twin Psalms 33 and 34 call to bless even in crazy situations, like pretending to be crazy in front of a Philistine general
and use your horse sense about it.

The blessed man book ends now complete with Psalms 40 and 41 ending book 1.

Book 2 - Deliverance

Psalm 44:8 In God we have boasted continually, and we will give thanks to your name forever

Psalm 50:14 Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving, and perform your vows to the Most High

Psalm 54:6 With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you; I will give thanks to your name, O Lord, for it is good.

Psalm 57:9 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.

And to move the hearers closer to thankful worship, the choirmaster presents a song in Psalm 66 to invite the listeners to
'come see what the Lord has done' and some in their minds stand at the shores of the Red sea as the Exodus happened and watch!

Psalm 69:30 I will praise the name of God with a song; I will magnify him with thanksgiving.

Book3 - Sanctuary

Psalm 75, Asaph’s thanksgiving song to another strange tune ‘do not destroy’
Thank you for your wondrous works declare you name is near
The boastful are warned the judge will call for order in the court soon
Though the earth may ‘dissolve’ in the judgment we can give thanks
Heaven and earth will flee from the face of Him who sits on the great White throne,
But it is he who is our refuge

Psalm 79:13 But we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise.

Psalm 86:12 I give thanks to you, O Lord my God, with my whole heart, and I will glorify your name forever.

Book 4 - Wanderings

Psalm 92, A Thanksgiving Psalm for the Sabbath
(but if the Sabbath falls on a Holiday sing Psalm 93)
A song of the fruit of God and what God has done.
It is good to thank God Every morning. Every night. Use a harp.
You put this in my heart. It is you have made me glad
Heart sense that makes a heart flourishes. The ‘senseless’ don’t get it, eyes unopened.
The righteous will flourish, fruitfully, fresh, live in a newness,
Each declaring 'God is my rock with no unrighteousness in Him'
Jesus the ultimate Sabbath, his resurrection bringing newness

Psalm 95:2 Let us come into his presence with thanksgiving; let us make a joyful noise to him with songs of praise!

Psalm 97:12 Rejoice in the Lord, O you righteous, and give thanks to his holy name!

Psalm 100. One Psalm by title a Psalm of thanksgiving
And addressed to the earth, all 'the land', 'ha eretz'
Let the islands rejoice, sends the command beyond Israel's borders.
Enter his gates with thanksgiving. From there, pass into his courts with praise
Shout Worship Come Know Enter Give thanks Praise
A call to worship anchored in knowing the lord is God, creator of heaven and earth
A call to worship anchored in the Lord’s attributes particularly his goodness
A call to the earth, all lands in Christ. Come joyful, glad and singing

David preaches twin Psalms to himself in Psalm 103 and 104 to bless the Lord,
then yet another set of twins step forward echoing his thanks song using history, Psalm 105 and 106.

Psalm 105. Thanks for God in history. Thanks for How God has treated Israel during their wanderings in history
An invitation to call on the name of God, to tell of Him, sing, talk share in the light of his works
A thanks to God for his provisions in the sojourns of life.

Psalm 106 Thanks for God in history. Penitential thanks for God’s mercy’s for how Israel treated God through their wanderings in history Thanks to God for His goodness and mercy in the light of his kindness A prayer to save, looks forward with an Amen and Hallelujah.
A thanks to God for his goodness and mercies in the sojourns of life. With the twin Psalms give sojourn thanks, closing book 4.

Book 5 - Anticipation of entering the promise land

Psalm 107. Thanks as you look forward to claiming God’s promises, for God’s mercy and goodness.
Give thanks to the Lord, Let the redeemed of the Lord say so.
Twin Psalms give sojourn thanks, closing book 4, turning out to be triplet Psalms.
Book 5 opens with a picture of the thankful redeemed through the ages in the Psalm book about anticipation of entering the promised land
And what did the redeemed look like? Problem sent . They cried, he delivered. Over and over Problem sent. They cried, he delivered.

And as if to move things up a notch, David tells his harp to 'wake up!' and announced next on his todo is to 'wake up the sunrise'
Psalm 108:3 I will give thanks to you, O Lord, among the peoples; I will sing praises to you among the nations.

Psalm 109:30 With my mouth I will give great thanks to the Lord; I will praise him in the midst of the throng.

Psalm 111:1 Praise the Lord! I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart, in the company of the upright, in the congregation.

The blessed man precedes, the Hallal Psalms with Psalm 112

Songs sung for the Passover sacrifice begin, the Hallal Psalms. If the Hallal Psalms (113-118), sung while Passover lambs slain, were a comet, Psalm 118 is the weighty head of the comet. Most quoted psalm in the New Testament. This is the day the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. The Stone that the builders rejected has become the head cornerstone. Hallal psalms sung in the temple while the Passover lambs were being slain. If they were a comet they paint a story of the lamb of God for the world across the sky.

Psalm 116. What shall I offer the Lord? Lift up the cup of salvation and I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving and call on the name of the Lord.

Psalm 118 Enter His gates with thanksgiving The song is preceded by a beacon calling the nations, shortest of all Psalms. Psalm 118 starts broadly with mercy on the lips not just of Israel but those who fear the Lord is wide enough to be extended to all Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever!

Just as book 1 is book ended by psalms of the blessed man, Hallal's comet is orbited, surrounded by two Psalms of a blessed man: Psalm 112, Hallal's comet, and Psalm 119 behind and before.

The blessed man follows 'Hallal's comet' with Psalm 119, just as it preceded.

And for those who like such things: one can only scratch their head and wonder when the most quoted chapter, the center chapter and center verse(s) of the Bible are in the small beacon and the head of the comet, of comet Hallal. If location location location are the first three rules of real estate one wonders at a Psalm located between longest and shortest Bible chapters.

In Psalm 122, in a Psalm of Ascent, it was decreed for was decreed for Israel to give thanks to the name of the Lord and reminded the sojourners to the Temple as they sang.

Psalm 136 The great Hallal Psalm
Thanks for God creating and for God redeeming conquest in the Exodus. Thanks for God's care and leading to the promised land
His loving kindness is everlasting, pervasive theme surfaces 26 times, steady backup chorus
A thanks pointing forward to thanks in a new creation, a greater Exodus and a greater more enduring promised land

A plethora of thanks, with an augment of blessings and reasons to love
and one last praise sprint to the finish

And the songs turn to notes of discord. Harps hung. Weeping. The newest Psalm is sung where at one of the most tragic points in history, by the rivers of Babylon we laid down our harps and cried in Psalm 137. The long marathon of of Psalms at a point of discouragement and dissonance.

And a beauty deepened discord resolves to harmony as David picks up his harp with a renewed vigor despite conflicts, playing it, setting it on fire with another eight Psalms. all Psalms of David racing, holding his harp up as if an Olympic torch running to glory. Dissonance dissolves.

Psalm 138. The first of a final run of Psalms of David. A final sprint to the finish line.
Thou hast glorified Thy Word together with your name
What word? the word promised to David of a king who would sit on his throne and reign forever
The seed of David. The seed of Abraham. The seed of the woman.
The word made flesh.
David sprints toward the finish.
Onlookers to the race include Mary, but no mere spectator to the promise
She sings with David after her experience with the angel.

Psalm 140:13 Surely the righteous shall give thanks to your name; the upright shall dwell in your presence.

David psalmful sprint includes a prayerful faith race through a cave. Confined, limited, David speaks of the time he lived in a cave (with 600 men - Selah) , longing for his soul to be set free, saying Psalm 142:7 Bring me out of prison, that I may give thanks to your name! The righteous will surround me, for you will deal bountifully with me.

Sprint nears end and Davids race ends as it began with praise

Psalm 144:1-2 Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; he is my steadfast love and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield and he in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me.

Psalm 145:10 All your works shall give thanks to you, O Lord, and all your saints shall bless you!

The last two Psalms of David's sprint start with he blessing praising God first person and end with crowds. Israel and all with breath bless the Lord at the finish line.

David runs into five final Praise Psalms
One for each book of Psalms, each starting and ending with Praise.

David's lyre done playing. An orchestra continues. More voices. More instruments.
Indeed all things with breath sing.

Psalm 147:7 Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving; make melody to our God on the lyre!

Fitting end
Blessed man meeting the blessed God

Last edited:
I gave up trying to stick with only 7 or 8 psalms that start with thanksgiving because thanks is pervasive in Psalms and not really containable in a handful of Psalms

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back