TGC Article - "3 Reasons Sunday Is Not the Christian Sabbath"

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.L.

Puritan Board Sophomore
Morning,

I just stumbled on this TGC article in Feedly while sipping my coffee. I believe the TGC author Stephen Wellum is a proponent of "New Covenant Theology" if I remember correctly. It is difficult to believe an article arguing against the continuance of the Sabbath can be published by an organization with some of the Presbyterian big names serving as board and council members. This article is one of three that will explore different views of the Sabbath. Even if the Reformed view is later defended I hate seeing a platform given to those arguing against keeping the Sabbath. As far as Lord's Day observance has fallen in our churches we don't need to leave an open seat at the table for those promoting this kind of error.

3 Reasons Sunday Is Not the Christian Sabbath

[Edit 1: Here the Reformed view is defended by David Strain in an article also posted today as part of the above referenced series.]

[Edit 2: Here is the third perspective in the series by Justin Hoffman.]

Last edited:
I'm happy to see a big church pastor defend the morality of the fourth commandment, but as you say, there shouldn't be a competition on an ostensibly reformed organization's page if observance of the Lord's Day as the Christian Sabbath were in full health in the churches represented by it. The PCA didn't ditch the Sabbatarianism of the WCF and catechisms several years ago largely because exceptions are allowed, not because the PCA is some bastion of faithful observance of the fourth commandment. People should not treat the fourth commandment as though it is the one commandment we could keep and if we just focused on the positives in pressing it the issues surrounding it would go away. What is forbidden must be taught with the duties like the other nine. The sad fact is the universal unfaithfulness to this commandment of the Lord. We are where we are in churches and the nation (speaking of the USA) because of this. As the 1948 PCUS declared before very quickly going silent and unfaithful on the issue as the old generation passed in the 1950s,
“Let us beware brethren: As goes the Sabbath, so goes the church, as goes the church, so goes the nation. Any people who neglect the duties and privileges of the Sabbath day soon lose the knowledge of true religion and become pagan. If men refuse to retain God in their knowledge; God declares that He will give them over to a reprobate mind. Both history and experience confirm this truth.” PCUSA GA 1948.​

Morning,

I just stumbled on this TGC article in Feedly while sipping my coffee. I believe the TGC author Stephen Wellum is a proponent of "New Covenant Theology" if I remember correctly. It is difficult to believe an article arguing against the continuance of the Sabbath can be published by an organization with some of the Presbyterian big names serving as board and council members. This article is one of three that will explore different views of the Sabbath. Even if the Reformed view is later defended I hate seeing a platform given to those arguing against keeping the Sabbath. As far as Lord's Day observance has fallen in our churches we don't need to leave an open seat at the table for those promoting this kind of error.

3 Reasons Sunday Is Not the Christian Sabbath

[Edit: Here the correct view is defended by David Strain in an article also posted today as part of the above referenced series.]

there shouldn't be a competition on an ostensibly reformed organization's page

Unfortunately, TGC - as an organization - is NOT reformed. In fact, the organization is so tainted with wokeism that I don't recommend them to others.

Within the past month we had a missionary applicant who affirmed some of the leftist things on TGC and thought it was ok because of the list of "solid" Reformed individuals associated with TGC. Our response was that contrary to the notion that these men give credibility to rubbish, these individuals' association with rubbish raises legitimate questions pertaining to whether their reputation is warranted. Application for support denied.

The ARP subscribes to the WCF. Attendance at morning worship is strongly encouraged. However, if someone attends a ball game or goes out to a restaurant after church on the Sabbath there would be no formal disciplinary intervention. Would these actions result in formal discipline in your church?

The ARP subscribes to the WCF. Attendance at morning worship is strongly encouraged. However, if someone attends a ball game or goes out to a restaurant after church on the Sabbath there would be no formal disciplinary intervention. Would these actions result in formal discipline in your church?
Pretty well every member in our church observes the Sabbath. Still, my pastor has expressed to me that he would want very much to push for disciplining anyone who habitually forgot the Sabbath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back