Teaching of the second command and second table?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Plowing still through David Dickson's manuscript sermons and this stood out, to me, as a clear typo. Am I wrong; is there any sense it is right? I want to explore all options before noting it as such. Note the context flowing from the prior paragraph.
For [against] the sins that are against the second table of the law the natural conscience will chop [strike], as for whoredom, blood and drunkenness, false witnessing, etc., but for breaking of the Sabbath, taking of God’s name in vain, idolatry, neglect of prayer morning and evening, living profanely without thoughts of God in the heart, the natural man will not chop, for it will let a man break all the precepts |325|B of the first table because man has retained more light of the duties he owes to man then of his duty to God.

Therefore, if you have not shed blood nor been an adulterer, oppressor, nor sinned openly against your neighbor, fall to and see how you have kept the precepts of the first table. See how you have loved, feared, obeyed, sought, served and delighted yourself in God, and made Him your chief happiness, which is the drift of the first commandment. Then [secondly], search whether you have solemnly prayed morning and evening every day, whether you have used all the means commanded of God to bring you to repentance, faith and a new life, which is the drift of the second table and [sic?] commandment.

Are you questioning the word "and"? Matt. 22:30 comes immediately to mind as Jesus labels the second table of the law commandment two.

I'm questioning the implication that the second table which is our duty to man teaches what the second commandment does about the means of worship and coming to God, "prayed morning and evening every day, whether you have used all the means commanded of God to bring you to repentance, faith and a new life, which is the drift of the second ... commandment.

Therefore, if you have not shed blood nor been an adulterer, oppressor, nor sinned openly against your neighbor,

fall to and see how you have kept the precepts of the first table.

You if you have kept your duties to fellow man (second table), then fall to your knees to consider your duties to God (first table):

See how you have loved, feared, obeyed, sought, served and delighted yourself in God, and made Him your chief happiness,

which is the drift of the first commandment (of the first table).​

Then [secondly],
search whether you have solemnly prayed morning and evening every day,
whether you have used all the means commanded of God to bring you to repentance, faith and a new life,

which is the drift of the second table and commandment (of the first table).​

"table and" seems impossible to justify on any known principles.

By the way, "For [against]" raises a quibble in my mind: isn't "for" there used in the sense of "On the occasion/basis/ground of"?

"table and" seems impossible to justify on any known principles.

By the way, "For [against]" raises a quibble in my mind: isn't "for" there used in the sense of "On the occasion/basis/ground of"?
I think you are right; I got tongue tied with my againsts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back