teachers that can't preach (and are not gifted as pasto

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
[quote:b5367f285e]"It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers."[/quote:b5367f285e]

Augustine thought that teacher and pastor is clumped into one office. And understandably, all pastors are teachers (in some sense). Calvin said this in his commentary on the passage:
[quote:b5367f285e] Teaching is, no doubt, the duty of all pastors; but to maintain sound doctrine requires a talent for interpreting Scripture, and a man may be a teacher who is not qualified to preach.[/quote:b5367f285e]

Now my question is this, assuming Calvin is right on his interpretation, do teachers (who are not gifted as pastors) ever have a right to take up the pulpit?

Another thing, who were some great theologians who were not pastors? I'm not talking about scholars in the field of bible linguistics or agologists etc., just good overall theologians. I know alot of people were made pastors by force like Calvin and such. But still Calvin said that he was a theologian so he could be a good pastor.

It just seems like most popular theologians at least have been pastors for a great part of there life.

Rembrandt

I think what Calvin is referring to is that some people who are gifted for teaching do not have the qualifications mentioned by Paul to be pastors. It is one thing to be able to expond on a text, it is anothing entirely to have the character necessary to live the example of a pastor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back