Take the Yankee/Dixie Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
35%, definitive Northern. Awww, yeah! I still call it soda - when I lived in Rhode Island, I said that I wanted a pop and nobody, I mean nobody ever knew what I meant. And, by the by, Coke is a carbonated cola beverage made by the Coca-Cola Corporation or carbon ash used as a heat source to melt iron or steel -- that's it. :)

I had heard of a PoBoy. Grinders on the east coast I called them and subs here in MN. The best grinders are a D'Angelos in RI, CT, MA, etc. Can't beat 'em.

Why call it the Yankee/Dixie quiz at all? There are many more regions in the States besides these two? West Coast, Eastern Seaboard, Upper Eastern Seaboard (Maine), Great Lakes, Midwest.... Southeast.... but the survey clumps everyone into these two groups. Why?

35%, definitive Northern. Awww, yeah! I still call it soda - when I lived in Rhode Island, I said that I wanted a pop and nobody, I mean nobody ever knew what I meant. And, by the by, Coke is a carbonated cola beverage made by the Coca-Cola Corporation or carbon ash used as a heat source to melt iron or steel -- that's it. :)

I had heard of a PoBoy. Grinders on the east coast I called them and subs here in MN. The best grinders are a D'Angelos in RI, CT, MA, etc. Can't beat 'em.

Brother, what do people do when you ask for a coffee cabinet?

I got 54% Dixie, then I did it again to reflect how I talked when I was a kid in Southeast Kansas. Got 58% Dixie that time. Who says "you'uns"? "Youse" is Pennsylvania, I know

57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I was conflicted on some answers. Both my parents are from New London, CT so I've heard subs called grinders but I haven't lived anywhere for more than 6 years since 1968 and a good portion of that time has been Texas and Virginia. In fact, with 5 tours in VA, I've lived in VA a total of 7 years - now the longest total stay in any State.

A, for instance, is that I probably pronounced some words a certain way just years ago but I now pronounce them differently - I sometimes pronounce route both root and rowt.

57% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

I was conflicted on some answers. Both my parents are from New London, CT so I've heard subs called grinders but I haven't lived anywhere for more than 6 years since 1968 and a good portion of that time has been Texas and Virginia. In fact, with 5 tours in VA, I've lived in VA a total of 7 years - now the longest total stay in any State.

A, for instance, is that I probably pronounced some words a certain way just years ago but I now pronounce them differently - I sometimes pronounce route both root and rowt.
You're a global nomad/third culture kid, Rich.

It was always fun to go 'home' to visit relatives, and have them say you sounded like a 'furriner'. But it makes you capable of communicating with all sorts of people.

Something must be wrong...

100% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?

I don't think of my speech as southern at all. Oh well, at least now I can talk about the War of Northern Aggression. :)

"65% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!"

I thought I escaped my Georgia/Florida upbringing. :( I didn't realize that regions shape vocabulary words.I don't speak with a southern accent, though.

65% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score! I figure this is odd considering that I live in East Central Mississippi. :think: According to television and movies I should be at 200%.

I got 57% Dixie. :eek: I grew up in WA but my mom's side hails from Arkansas so that must be what happened.

Brother, what do people do when you ask for a coffee cabinet?

They have no idea whatsoever - and I mean they are lost.

I really, really miss coffee milk...a lot. Do you have it in Maine? They make the syrup in RI. Ran out several years ago. I found that if I make really strong coffee and use a ratio of about 1:12 and a bunch of sugar, it tastes like coffee milk.

I do an urban mission trip to South Providence (my old neighborhood) each summer. I have a large bottle of Autocrat syrup in my kitchen!

I lived on S. Court St, next to RISD and sort of by Brown. Then in West Warwick during the time of the Station fire - lived in Arctic (if you know where that is). And for the PBer's it is pronounced Ahh-tick.

Miss the heck out of it there. My wife went to URI so we will have to do an alum trip there some day. Oh, yeah, also live in Point Judith, south Narragansett. Awesome to have you bring up these great memories.

BTW, some of the answer choices didn't include my region at all.

The answer to the last question for me was "ball bug." We even played an entertaining form of billiards with them. You had to move fast or the balls got up and crawled away.
:D
56% (Dixie).
I didn't know the roly poly had so many names!

67% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

Thanks to my New Englander Parent's. I was born & raised in Virginia. My language is influenced by my folks. My parents are Southerners at heart, though; that's why they moved down here, after all. If you asked my wife to take this quiz...she'd probably score a 100%. Born in SE Missouri, moved to Virginia when she was 6 and lived around a lot of Old Order Mennonites in the Shenandoah Valley...very heavy southern accents...

That was fun!

55% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Me too. Even though I have lived in CO and CA most of my life. It must be because my family is all from MO (pronounced Mizzourah). Is MO south of the Mason Dixon Line?

Why call it the Yankee/Dixie quiz at all? There are many more regions in the States besides these two? West Coast, Eastern Seaboard, Upper Eastern Seaboard (Maine), Great Lakes, Midwest.... Southeast.... but the survey clumps everyone into these two groups. Why?

'Cause, if "ya'll" don't talk like we Southerners do you HAVE to be a Yankee! :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back