Take the Yankee/Dixie Quiz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I scored 68% (Dixie). A definitive Southern score!

There's still some Mississippi left in me, even amongst all these Yankees down here. :)

That's pretty accurate. I'm originally from south/central Georgia (hint: I was born in Vidalia, the onion capital of the world!), and this was my result:

97% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?

It has no provision for us wayward westerners whose families fled both the south and the north. But it scored me as 53% Dixie, probably from my Dad's mother's side.

84% (Dixie). Did you have any Confederate ancestors?

Is the response I got.

BTW, some of the answer choices didn't include my region at all.

The answer to the last question for me was "ball bug." We even played an entertaining form of billiards with them. You had to move fast or the balls got up and crawled away.

54% dixie, but some of them I couldn't answer, I call a drive through liquor store just that, a drive through liquor store,

the road long side the highway, I don't use any of those terms, it's just the road long side the highway..

66% Dixie. Native Texan living near the Mason-Dixon line. Must be having a negative affect on me.

Gosh, I scored 100 percent Dixie -- I was a little surprised because I know I've got some Pennsylvania in me from my parents (Hoagie? In the south that was a submarine). And working in the natural resources also has had its influence!

I scored "a definite yankee". Why am I not surprised? I've lived in the south most of my adult live, but I was born and raised outside Chicago. Once a Chicago gal, always a Chicago gal.

Gosh, I scored 100 percent Dixie -- I was a little surprised because I know I've got some Pennsylvania in me from my parents (Hoagie? In the south that was a submarine). And working in the natural resources also has had its influence!

Down here it's a Po-Boy.

56% (Dixie). Barely into the Dixie category.

Blame Uncle Sam for my score...took the girl outta the south and turned her into a Third Culture Kid.

92% (Dixie). Is General Lee your father?

Note: If you change your mind on an answer or are clicking different answers to see what it tells you it will mess up the score. The first time I did that and it said 44% Yankee even though I put the same answers both times.

37% (Yankee). A definitive Yankee. But there's some mistake. There are few (except in Aroostook County) who are more Yankee!

30% "strong" Yankee! I was worried that living 19 years south of the Mason-Dixon line would have corrupted me. Thankfully you can take the man out of the north but not the north out of the man.

BTW, some of the answer choices didn't include my region at all.

The answer to the last question for me was "ball bug." We even played an entertaining form of billiards with them. You had to move fast or the balls got up and crawled away.

Vic, you're on the left coast. You're only part of the United States because of geography!

I scored 36% - a "definitive Yankee." No surprise...

Thanks for posting this! (I'd taken it on another message board -- just wanted to see if the questions and my answers were the same. Yep.)

Margaret

Somehow, this rated me 55% Dixie (barely Dixie).

In the test designer mind, I think it was "rollie pollie" versus "sow bug" that did it.

Another weakness of the test - the "bug" thing. We really don't have those bugs here, but I heard my paternal grandfather (born and raised in southern Indiana) and my mother (born in Wisconsin) call them "potato bugs." I've never seen them except when vacationing and so I don't know what Michiganders call them.

"Pop" for "soda" is a Michigan "thang," I thought. If other people say it, it may be a result of people from MI losing their jobs and going elsewhere to find work and taking this peculiarity with them. A lower Michigan thing just like when someone asks you where you live and you hold up the palm of your right hand and point to a spot on it (your pinkie finger is the Leelanau Peninsula, for example... :lol: ).

Margaret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back