T4G Kindle Book Extravaganza

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the NIV. If I were marooned on a desert island, and could only have two translations, it would be the AV and the NIV. D.A. Carson, in his 'The King James Only Debate ; A Plea For Realism', said it was the best English translation there is. He is the editor of the mammoth NIV SB.

Last edited:
I would say go for it. There are lots of good efforts happening in the country where I serve, which is a relatively new field for them. And in other countries they are even more active. A good emphasis on true belief versus easy believism and, for missions, they honor the place of the sending church quite well. I quit an evangelical mission org in 2014 because they said that a sending church's only roles were to send the missionary, pray for them, and send them money (all decisions on the field must be decided by the mission org and the sending church not involved). So we are very glad for their work.
It's my understanding that they want to establish native missionaries. That must not be all they do if you are affiliated? Or how does that work? If you are inclined to answer. Message me if needed.

I love the NIV. If I were marooned on a desert island, and could only have two translations, it would be the AV and the NIV. D.A. Carson, in his 'The King James Only Controversy ; A Plea For Realism', said it was the best English translation there is. He is the editor of the mammoth NIV SB.
That must have been before the venerable English Standard Version of the Old and New Testaments was brought forth!

That must have been before the venerable English Standard Version of the Old and New Testaments was brought forth!
Actually I confused the title of D.A. Carson's book with that of James White. I should have typed The King James Version Debate, not Controversy. It was published in 1978, the ESV in 2001, so yes it was before that revision, but he is now the editor of the NIV SB, so that seems to be to be approval, if tacit approval.
The venerable ESV is a revision of the RSV, which is a revision of the RV, which is a revision of the AV. It too has a share of both dynamic equivalence, and gender neutral additions. I don't knock it, but personally I prefer the NIV. To me it is more of a 'plain English' (the way I speak/understand it) translation.

Actually I confused the title of D.A. Carson's book with that of James White. I should have typed The King James Version Debate, not Controversy. It was published in 1978, the ESV in 2001, so yes it was before that revision, but he is now the editor of the NIV SB, so that seems to be to be approval, if tacit approval.
The venerable ESV is a revision of the RSV, which is a revision of the RV, which is a revision of the AV. It too has a share of both dynamic equivalence, and gender neutral additions. I don't knock it, but personally I prefer the NIV. To me it is more of a 'plain English' (the way I speak/understand it) translation.
I was just kidding about the ESV. I haven't read much of the NIV, so I can't comment on its quality.

It's my understanding that they want to establish native missionaries. That must not be all they do if you are affiliated? Or how does that work? If you are inclined to answer. Message me if needed.
Yes, they sort of took an exception for us since we work with all indigenous evangelists. They normally just support native missionaries. We are glad for their inclusion of us.

John Piper voluntarily put his book royalties into the Desiring God foundation which is a trust he does not have complete control over and the money is used for missions. He himself lives a modest means and took a modest salary when he was a pastor.

Yes, they sort of took an exception for us since we work with all indigenous evangelists. They normally just support native missionaries. We are glad for their inclusion of us.
That's interesting. Can you direct me to any information on the work you are doing?

Preach it brother. And by the way, Thabiti’s real name is Ron Burns. He changed it back when he was a black nationalist Muslim. The fact that he never felt the need to change it back when he became a Christian speaks volumes.
I heard that once before but thought that it was a joke.
I wasn't aware of that. Oddly enough, though I had never heard of him before, today I bought his Kindle book on finding elders and deacons. That and R.C.'s The Holiness of God. I'll do a bit of research on this scandal you refer to. Thanks.
In light of his current racializing scandal, I look at Anyabwile having written a biography of Lemuel Haynes differently that I would have before. Not interested in it in the slightest.
But thanks for the link.

Here is a non-critical news source that cites Thabiti Anyabwile's birth name as being Ron Burns.

http://www.outreachmagazine.com/interviews/11446-thabiti-anyabwile-grace-across-the-divide.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back