Synopsis of A Purer Theology - English Translation for 59.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding, subject to correction, is this is the first of two volumes, as opposed to the three volume and very expensive Brill set. Basically for the price of one of those 3 volumes you get the 2 volume set; vol. 1 is 59.99 bucks; retail will be 79.99.

My understanding, subject to correction, is this is the first of two volumes, as opposed to the three volume and very expensive Brill set. Basically for the price of one of those 3 volumes you get the 2 volume set; vol. 1 is 59.99 bucks; retail will be 79.99.
I believe this is 2 volumes of the same material in the 3 vol Brill set. It is a momentous purchase for a crazy price. It is the like going back in time and witnessing the translation release of Turretin or Bavinck.

It looks like the Brill set is in both English and Latin, causing the need for 3 volumes. This set is 2 volumes, but only English, made shorter by forgoing the inclusion of Latin alongside the English. And it looks like you get both volumes for $59. Whats good too is it wont charge your card until late May, so, it gives one a couple months to put up the money.

di1.jpg
di2.jpg

Last edited:
I believe this is 2 volumes of the same material in the 3 vol Brill set. It is a momentous purchase for a crazy price. It is the like going back in time and witnessing the translation release of Turretin or Bavinck.
It's amazing how they set the bar initially by charging $600 for the full set, so that guys are thinking $120 for a one volume systematic theology (the initial work was one volume, 800 pages, normal type size) is "a crazy good deal." Certainly it's more attainable, but it's still an expensive book.
I'm translating a work of a similar size and quality right now, and I would be pretty surprised if the publisher decided to sell it for $120 a volume.
Update: if it really is $60 for both, that would seem more in line with the prices of other books.

It is an important text; almost a standard theology text of the time. I'm glad they are making it affordable; much more useful than focusing on Hooker.

It's amazing how they set the bar initially by charging $600 for the full set, so that guys are thinking $120 for a one volume systematic theology (the initial work was one volume, 800 pages, normal type size) is "a crazy good deal." Certainly it's more attainable, but it's still an expensive book.
I'm translating a work of a similar size and quality right now, and I would be pretty surprised if the publisher decided to sell it for $120 a volume.
Update: if it really is $60 for both, that would seem more in line with the prices of other books.
It is $60 for 2 volumes; 400 x 2 pages total.

It looks like the Brill set is in both English and Latin, causing the need for 3 volumes. This set is 2 volumes, but only English, made shorter by forgoing the inclusion of Latin alongside the English. And it looks like you get both volumes for $59. Whats good too is it wont charge your card until late May, so, it gives one a couple months to put up the money.

View attachment 10091
That was a quick check out.

Concise Reformed Dogmatics, this was a curious one. No idea why it never came out on Logos. Very hard to find now for a P&R book. Came out in 2008 and yet it is now worth 111 on second hand market.

Concise Reformed Dogmatics, this was a curious one. No idea why it never came out on Logos. Very hard to find now for a P&R book. Came out in 2008 and yet it is now worth 111 on second hand market.
Sorry, I had deleted the comment because I wasnt sure if it was pertinent to the conversation. But yes, I purchased it for $35 or so, I want to say from SDG or RHB, but it could have been Westminster. Then I noticed like 3 years later it was out of stock everywhere and now going for over $100 used like you said. I saw the same thing with Church Dogmatics, and Early Church Fathers. Going many times what they once were once out of print. I dont know if these books are going to be the same. Since it looks like something I would definitely want in a collection, and since they gave me 3 months to put up $20 a month; Im going for it. Better to get in now for $65 than possibly $165 or more if they sell out and dont republish. Especially it being a specialized Latin to English text with no possibility of reading online for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back