Sync Android to iPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reaganmarsh

Puritan Board Senior
My wife and I have had our iPhone calendars synced for the last 4 years, but I'm moving to an android phone in January (new carrier, better plan, etc.) Her phone/plan are working just fine.

So here's the question: what should I install/do to sync her calendar with mine?

Thanks, y'all.

I've recently moved from iPhone to Android (I like my headphones too) so I'm aware of what you're currently going through.

If she has a Google or Microsoft account then this can be used to hold the calendar data. You can add multiple calendars from the internet to iPhone or Android phones, so your phone could have your calendar as well as your wife's displaying at the same time in the calendar app.

If I remember correctly when adding a new Google/MS account you choose which kinds of data you want synchronised - so on your phone you would add the Mrs' account and tell it only to grab the calendar data, and say not emails or contacts.

If this seems good to you I'd be happy to flesh out the details.

We use Google Calendar and then have the Google Calendar app on our phones. There are iOS and Android versions, plus a nice web interface. We're also way too tired to Google for everything, and Android only makes it more convenient (you'll learn to love Google Now).

Rev. Marsh, I've had a more thorough think at this, hope these instructions are helpful:

So if you both have Google accounts, (easy way to tell, you have an email address ending in @gmail.com or @googlemail.com), you simply add those accounts to both phones. When adding your account to your wife's phone, tick only Calendar to be synchronised, and when adding her account to yours do the same. This will have two calendars on both phones. Adding events to the calendar on the phone or on the Google website should cause them to appear on both.

If you need to make a new Google account, a quick way to do so with Android is under Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google > 'Or create a new account'

If you both have Google accounts, you do the following to add eachother's to your phone. This could also work with Microsoft Hotmail accounts, if you choose Microsoft instead of Google at each step.

First, on Android:

I'm looking at a Samsung Galaxy phone, but the steps should be similar for most.

With Android, go to Settings > Accounts > Add Account > Google

Then, type in the email address and password. Say no thanks to any payment info. (They've made enough already.)

You should be back in the Accounts screen. Press 'Google,' then the email address you just added, then uncheck everything apart from Calendar. This way you will only be getting her calendar and not App data, Contacts, etc.*​

Then, for the iPhone:

My only iPhone is running iOS 6 (!) but I don't see why Apple would have changed the menu options.

Go to Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars > Add Account...

Choose 'Google Mail' and enter the username and password. Save this account then on the next screen check off everything except 'Calendars'. Tell the phone to keep local calendars if it asks you. Then press 'Save'.​

There! With that, both your accounts should show on the other's phone.

*Otherwise, if you think it would be simpler and want only the one calendar for both phones, you could create a new Google account and only use it for the calendar and add this new account to both phones. You might find that option handier and less likely to have data conflicts. It's the same processes to add this one account to both phones.

I've added a few other options so you may decide what best matches your setup. If you need any more clarity with these steps or if something doesn't quite work, I'll still be here.

Thran,

Wow, thank you for that! I'll give it a try and let you know if I have any questions. I appreciate your help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back