Surprise at Bellevue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfschultz

Puritan Board Junior
I went to a meeting at Bellevue Baptist Church this evening. I was a bit early, so I checked out their bookstore. With Dr. Gaines well publicized views of Reformed Theology, I was quite surprised by some of the authors I found... Boice, Horton, Schaeffer, and even Owen! And they were not in some back hidden corner.

I even came home with Horton's Christless Christianity!

Scott1

Puritanboard Commissioner
In a sense, it has almost become "cool" to be reformed.

It is perceived as being "counter-establishment" somewhat to broad evangelicalism, was somewhat forbidden.

Now, we must pray that the substance bears fruit, that we don't define "reformed" down. At a minimum it is:

doctrines of grace + covenant theology + confession

(It is not Arminian influenced, dispensational, or minimalist list of essentials):)

JoyFullMom

Puritan Board Junior
I'm quite shocked that Owen was to be found there. Friends attended the last Sunday that Adrian Rogers preached before his heart attack and he railed against Owen in particular. I wish I could remember his exact words. Our friends actually wrote them down, they were so taken aback. They left the church after that service.

Maybe there is a little covert operation going on with someone on the bookstore staff... :)

Osage Bluestem

Puritan Board Junior
I went to a meeting at Bellevue Baptist Church this evening. I was a bit early, so I checked out their bookstore. With Dr. Gaines well publicized views of Reformed Theology, I was quite surprised by some of the authors I found... Boice, Horton, Schaeffer, and even Owen! And they were not in some back hidden corner.

Bellveue is where RG Lee pastored for decades. He was a firm Calvinistic Baptist.

MarieP

Puritan Board Senior

Bellveue is where RG Lee pastored for decades. He was a firm Calvinistic Baptist.

I have a great quote from Lee's "The Word of God: Not Broken and Not Bound" set for the April church newsletter!

Osage Bluestem

Puritan Board Junior

I have a great quote from Lee's "The Word of God: Not Broken and Not Bound" set for the April church newsletter!

He was one of my grandpa's favorite preachers. I remember listening to his recordings as a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.