Surprise at Bellevue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfschultz

Puritan Board Junior
I went to a meeting at Bellevue Baptist Church this evening. I was a bit early, so I checked out their bookstore. With Dr. Gaines well publicized views of Reformed Theology, I was quite surprised by some of the authors I found... Boice, Horton, Schaeffer, and even Owen! And they were not in some back hidden corner.

I even came home with Horton's Christless Christianity!

In a sense, it has almost become "cool" to be reformed.

It is perceived as being "counter-establishment" somewhat to broad evangelicalism, was somewhat forbidden.

Now, we must pray that the substance bears fruit, that we don't define "reformed" down. At a minimum it is:

doctrines of grace + covenant theology + confession

(It is not Arminian influenced, dispensational, or minimalist list of essentials):)

I'm quite shocked that Owen was to be found there. Friends attended the last Sunday that Adrian Rogers preached before his heart attack and he railed against Owen in particular. I wish I could remember his exact words. Our friends actually wrote them down, they were so taken aback. They left the church after that service.

Maybe there is a little covert operation going on with someone on the bookstore staff... :)

I went to a meeting at Bellevue Baptist Church this evening. I was a bit early, so I checked out their bookstore. With Dr. Gaines well publicized views of Reformed Theology, I was quite surprised by some of the authors I found... Boice, Horton, Schaeffer, and even Owen! And they were not in some back hidden corner.

Bellveue is where RG Lee pastored for decades. He was a firm Calvinistic Baptist.

Bellveue is where RG Lee pastored for decades. He was a firm Calvinistic Baptist.

I have a great quote from Lee's "The Word of God: Not Broken and Not Bound" set for the April church newsletter!

I have a great quote from Lee's "The Word of God: Not Broken and Not Bound" set for the April church newsletter!

He was one of my grandpa's favorite preachers. I remember listening to his recordings as a child.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back