Superman 2 The Richard Donner Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
434px-Sup2-donner-dvd.jpg

This is great stuff! If, like me, you were disappointed with some elements of Superman 2 (especially the ending) you have to go buy this version ASAP. The story flows so much better by tying closely into the first and believe it or not, Superman Returns.

Keep in mind that this movie is still over 20 years old and shows it's age in regard to special effects. The effects were great for their day, but today Smallville blows it away effects wise by leaps and bounds let alone movies on the big screen.

Everything in the Donner cut is better though, mainly as I said, the story is much more fluid, Lois and Clark's relationship is better, the revelation to Lois that Clark is Superman is done a million times better, the A.I. Jorel is so much better, and for a while, Lex is bald! While the ending still pushes it a little, it's so much more acceptable than a magic kiss.

Superman fans must own Superman, Superman 2 the Donner cut, and Superman Returns. Forget the original Superman 2 (Lester edition) and Superman 3 and 4 and you will have a very good Superman movie collection.

From Wiki:

Unlike many "special edition" and “director’s cut” movies released over the years, Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut is essentially a completely new film. As much as half of the film contains never-before seen material filmed by Donner, including 15 minutes of restored Marlon Brando scenes as Superman's father Jor-El as well as numerous new Christopher Reeve and Margot Kidder scenes. There are also several newly-filmed shots with CGI enhancements. Richard Donner is credited as director of the film instead of Richard Lester — the original credited director of Superman II. More than half of Lester's footage filmed for Superman II has been removed from the film and replaced with Donner footage shot during the original principal photography from 1977–1978. Certain footage filmed by Richard Lester remains in sequences that were not shot by Donner due to the halt in production for this film.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back