Summer Greek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silas22

Puritan Board Freshman
This summer I am taking Greek I & II at Covenant, and many of my fellow classmates have told me that this will be the most difficult summer of my life. I've even heard a story of someone who was hospitalized due to anxiety/stress because of these 2 classes.

As a husband and father I will also be working full time while taking these classes, so obviously I am concerned. So my question is for you language experts: what are some ways I can begin preparing for these classes? Are there any resources I could use to get a head start so I won't be so overwhelmed?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Find out the textbooks the Professors will be using, buy them and start studying from ch.1. Learn the koine greek alphabet (maybe listen to audio of their pronunciation online so you can have that correct). Begin to memorize, if possible vocabulary.

There will be some point in your study where there is a great cloud of confusion (where there is just so much information and your brain isn't working), just push through that and you'll be fine.

Andrew's advice is wise. I would also say this: don't let other people's experience dictate how you respond to summer Greek. I loved Greek in college, and looked forward to every lesson. I would say the main thing here is to not get in your own way by thinking that just because other people found the experience awful that therefore you will. Go into this with the excitement and anticipation that you are going to have the inestimable privilege of reading the New Testament in its original language, and that this will be a key that unlock countless "lightbulb" moments for you, and it will help you to use the technical tools that will help you rightly divide the word of truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back