Summary of eschatological positions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I was hoping to get some feedback on this summary of eschatological positions. The purpose is not to teach one against the other but simply to fairly represent the opposing views. It is intended for laymen so it is intentionally simple.

FYI, I am an amillenialist so it may be that my bias shines through. If so please let me know.

VIEWS ON ESCHATOLOGY

I. Amillenialism

Amillenialism has a long history in the church going back to Augustine who propagated the view that the millennium is a period of time that encompasses the whole of history after the ascension of Christ. Thus Amillenialism literally means “no millennium.” (i.e. not a literal thousand years but an era) In my opinion amillenialism is the view held by the majority of Reformers but some might disagree with me.

Amillenialism agrees with pre-millenialism that we should not expect a Golden Age or time of a ‘world’ conversion before the time of Christ but rather increasing persecution and unbelief. Christ reigns over all but He calls believers to suffer now and await glory in heaven. Amillenialism agrees with post-millenianism that Christ returns after the millennium.

A typical criticism of amillenialism is that it is allegorical i.e. not literal. It interprets the structure of eschatology in Scripture as symbolic rather than historical. Postmillenialists usually criticize it as being too pessimistic since it ignores the scriptures declaration of Christ’s victory over all things.

Some prominent amillenialists: Herman Bavinck, Louis Berkhof, William Hendriksen, Herman Ridderbos, Geerhardus Vos. Most (Dutch) Reformed Christians are amillenialists.

II. Post-millenialism

Post-millenialism believes that Christ will return after the millennium. Usually if not always a postmillennialist will assert along with the amillenialist that the thousand years is not a literal thousand years but an era. The difference is that they insert a so-called “Golden Age” into the end of the millennium. This Golden Age asserts that Christ has won a full victory over sin and death and so we can expect to see the (full?) result of His reigning over His enemies in this life. Thus much of the world will be converted; there will be a time of great peace and the establishment of God’s law as a standard for all nations.

Modern day post-millennialists tend to see other views as highly pessimistic and disavowing of the victorious life that Christ has called us Christians to live. Amillenialists and pre-millenialists usually characterize this view as disregarding the Lord’s (and the apostles) warnings about the difficulties of the last days.

Many of the Puritans were post-millennialists. Today it is advocated by men such Joey Pipa, R.C. Sproul, Steve Wilkins and Douglas Wilson. It tends to be popular in Presbyterian circles, particularly by those who embrace theonomy.

III. Pre-millenialism

Pre-millenialists all agree, contrary to amillenialism and post-millenialism, that Christ will return before the millennium. With this view Christ will come and establish a “Golden Age” after He returns and He will reign on earth with those saints who have died for a thousand years. Then will come the resurrection, judgment and eternal life.

However pre-millenialism is divided into two basic camps. The first are classic pre-millenialists whose tradition goes back to the early church fathers (who are called “Chiliasts” ). They assert the above but they believe that God has one people or one covenant in the new covenant that includes Jews and Gentiles. This latter truth, of course, is not revolutionary for you or I because it is the accepted teaching of the Christian Church for thousands of years. The late Dr. James Boice, minister of the Tenth Presbyterian Church, is a good example of this type of pre-millenialist.

The second camp of pre-millenialists, usually called dispensationalists, assert however that Christians at the time of the “Rapture” (usually taught as occurring before the Great Tribulation) will be taken up into heaven after which the Jews, God’s chosen people, will reinstitute the sacrifices and spread the gospel throughout the world. This, in effect, will commence the millennial reign of Christ in Jerusalem along with the raptured saints. This thinking has been popularized in the “Left Behind” series and is propagated by J.N. Darby, John MacArthur, Louis Sperry Chafer, and Jack Van Impe. It is the most prevalent type of eschatology within evangelicalism though most of its adherents live within North America. This latter type of pre-millenialism is usually criticized for its wild speculations concerning the return of Christ and the invention of the rapture to support its theology.

VIEWS ON PROPHECY

Related to the study of eschatology are also the different views on prophecy (mostly related to how one interprets the OT prophets and Revelation). I will briefly list them here:

I. Futurism

This view believes that most of the prophecies have yet to be fulfilled. This view is largely, if not exclusively, popular within pre-millenial camps.

II. Iterism

Iterists assert that most prophecies are repeated in every generation. It is, however, generally considered that there will be an increase in the intensity of such fulfillments until the time of Christ’s return. For example, every age will experience persecution but it will grow in severity as time goes on. Many amillenialists are iterists.

III. Preterists

Preterists believe that most prophecies have been fulfilled. They focus on AD 70 wherein the temple was destroyed as fulfillment of what Christ speaks of in Matthew 24 and what John focuses on in Revelation. Many post-millennialists are preterists, especially in it’s most popular forms of exposition.

-Rev. Kok

Last edited:
Just two questions and not meant to be in anyway contentious, but....

What about Idealism?

What about Historicism?

Just two questions and not meant to be in anyway contentious, but....

What about Idealism?

What about Historicism?

Idealism, as I understand it, is another name for 'iterism.' But you are correct about historicism. I will have to update the paper to include it.

Idealism, as I understand it, is another name for 'iterism.' But you are correct about historicism. I will have to update the paper to include it.

Had never heard the term iterism before but now that I reread your original post it does sound alot like Idealism. I sit in the Idealist (iterist?) camp a bit myself. I think most realized/gospel millenialists (another, I think better, name for amillenialist) are.

That's a pretty good summary there Poimen.

Personally, I hold to the preterist, theonomic and postmillenial position.

I don't believe iterism is a good substitute for idealism, for idealists do not see prophecy being fulfilled repeatedly. Even idealism doesn't seem to me to be a suitable word, but certainly iterism brings the view back to an event-based scheme which is inconsistent with the idealist perspective.

I don't believe iterism is a good substitute for idealism, for idealists do not see prophecy being fulfilled repeatedly. Even idealism doesn't seem to me to be a suitable word, but certainly iterism brings the view back to an event-based scheme which is inconsistent with the idealist perspective.

I can see your point about the event based scheme.

Idealism does however see certain principles in prophecy that can be and often are repeated throughout history(like saints being martyred etc).

James M. Boice is not the best example of the historic premillennial position. His only major work on eschatology is distinctively dispensational premillennial. It has been said on this board that he became an historic premillennialist later in his ministry, but he has no published work (to my knowledge) regarding this.

Try George Eldon Ladd, Wayne Grudem, and I believe D. A. Carson, as better and more representative contemporary examples, as well as the Bible Presbyterian Church.

Your summary is good for its length. Unfortunately, eschatology is more complicated than that. For example, the theonomic postmillennialism that we see today is a different beast than the postmillennialism that was predominant in the 19th century. There are other types of amillennialists and premillennialists as well.

Oh, and millennium has two 'n's.

I can see your point about the event based scheme.

Idealism does however see certain principles in prophecy that can be and often are repeated throughout history(like saints being martyred etc).

Still, such martyrdom would be regarded as a complex event, not something happening over and again. An example would be the exile and restoration in the OT. There were many events of this nature, but the prophetic Word always addresses them as a single, complex unit. That is because "idealism" (for want of a better word) is concerned with the moral nature of the action, not the action in relation to the time-space continuum, as in event-driven interpretation. Blessings!

Just an observation but have you ever noticed that some post-mill folks are essentially just optimistic amillenialist.
On the other hand, I suppose virtually every eschatological position has its variations.

I'd rather see some better names under the postmill camp.

John Frame, Keith Mathison, Joey Pipa, R.C. Sproul,

:2cents:

:) Paul, you make me smile!

I hope you don't think I was trying to poison the well. There is a story behind this paper (which was written several months ago) and is the reason I used those names. But I appreciate the point you are trying to make and I will update the paper accordingly.

James M. Boice is not the best example of the historic premillennial position. His only major work on eschatology is distinctively dispensational premillennial. It has been said on this board that he became an historic premillennialist later in his ministry, but he has no published work (to my knowledge) regarding this.

Try George Eldon Ladd, Wayne Grudem, and I believe D. A. Carson, as better and more representative contemporary examples, as well as the Bible Presbyterian Church.

Your summary is good for its length. Unfortunately, eschatology is more complicated than that. For example, the theonomic postmillennialism that we see today is a different beast than the postmillennialism that was predominant in the 19th century. There are other types of amillennialists and premillennialists as well.

Oh, and millennium has two 'n's.

I wasn't aware of that portion of Boice's history. I might update the names but the point of the paper is to be a simple overview and, unfortunately, the names you cite here would probably be mostly unknown within my church circles.

I agree, eschatology is more complicated but, as you note, it is a summary. If a congregant wanted to dig a little deeper I have the resources in my library to assist them.

Thank you sir!

Still, such martyrdom would be regarded as a complex event, not something happening over and again. An example would be the exile and restoration in the OT. There were many events of this nature, but the prophetic Word always addresses them as a single, complex unit. That is because "idealism" (for want of a better word) is concerned with the moral nature of the action, not the action in relation to the time-space continuum, as in event-driven interpretation. Blessings!

Do you have any resources you could recommend that would distinguish between idealism and iterism? Again, I assumed they were the same thing.

I agree, as I said Idealism sees certain principles being repeated (martyrdom, exile, restoration etc). Not singular events in time space history. I agree this would depart from the definition of iterism as written above. Thanks for your clarification.

Just an observation but have you ever noticed that some post-mill folks are essentially just optimistic amillenialist.
On the other hand, I suppose virtually every eschatological position has its variations.

All have their variations. I usually fit in quite well with many post-mils, and I refer to myself eschatologically as an optimistic, partial-preterist, amillennial, idealist. :)

All have their variations. I usually fit in quite well with many post-mils, and I refer to myself eschatologically as an optimistic, partial-preterist, amillennial, idealist. :)
I can live with that description for my own views. Not a bad summation. :)

Partial Preterist, Framean postmill.

At present I am trying to decipher what English ethicist, Oliver O'Donovan's position is. It is very intriguing. In a book of essays devoted to interacting and critiquing his thought, he was accused of both 1) dispensational view of history and 2) overly realized eschatology.

Sorry for the rabbit trail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back