Suggestions for Bible study

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokingFlax

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm looking to streamline my approach to studying the Word. My prior freestyle approach leaves much to be desired.

Can anyone recommend some guided and/or systematic helps that will enable me to grasp the major points of reformation theology more efficiently and thoroughly?

Do such things exist? Aside from commentaries and concordances, etc.

Thanks

As far as grasping the major points of Reformed theology, one great resource is [i:3ce4835b4e]Concise Theology[/i:3ce4835b4e] by J. I. Packer. The name speaks for itself - it is a concise book, with all the doctrines Packer sees as foundational to the Christian life. Each chapter is only a couple pages long, and Packer is one of the best living Reformed theologians we have. I would highly recommend it.

Also, if you're looking for a book to help you grasp more of the Reformed [i:3ce4835b4e]mindset in general[/i:3ce4835b4e], rather than specific major points, the best modern resource I could possibly recommend is [i:3ce4835b4e]In the Face of God[/i:3ce4835b4e] by Michael Horton. It has probably influenced my thinking more than any other modern book; I cannot recommend it highly enough. I've talked about it in a few past threads, so you might want to do a search.

In Christ,

Chris

My husband is having me read through Martyn Lloyd-Jones' Doctrines of the Bible series (three volumes: I'm still on #1, [i:d86d6231de]God the Father, God the Son[/i:d86d6231de]). It is not theology, but Biblical doctrine: it's a very clear, comprehensible study. I think he first gave it as lectures to his congregation on Friday evenings.

[Edited on 6-3-2004 by a mere housewife]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back