Succession of Successful Pastors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard from a number of folks that it is really REALLY tough to be the immediate successor to a pastor who was dearly loved and of long tenure.

I thought that it was a good article. Many pastors will announce their retirement and within a year they are gone- leaving a congregation to figure out what's next. Not good at all!

An excellent article. A lot of churches and pastors would do well to pay attention.

While it would be ideal for a church to have a developed succession plan, sometimes there isn't time, when a vacancy occurs unexpectedly through illness, accident, or other reasons.

I believe the way my former church (where I served as assistant pastor with the former pastor, and bridged the gap to the present pastor), was one way that it was "done right." That was at Faith PCA, in Akron.

I know of a church where the minister has had a very fruitful ministry, and is beloved by all. The leadership has recognised that he will leave one day and have tried (unsuccessfully so far) to implement some things to help transition. Basically the congregation is resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back