Study Aids to Calvin's Institutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cigar_Chuck717

Puritan Board Freshman
Greetings!
Many years ago when I first became reformed, I read through Calvin's Institutes. I was pretty young in the faith and brand new to theology, so I know I didn't get as much out of it as I should have. I am getting ready to read it again, more carefully, in 2023. I was wondering what study aids you'd recommend I use while reading? I've seen some books out there that go through the Institutes, and I would love to find maybe an online course or syllabus or lectures that I could use to supplement my reading. Much appreciated!

I don't know much about the online courses but I guess you are aware of these study guides to the Instituters:
1. Piety's Wisdom: A Summary of Calvin's Institutes with Study Questions (Beach)
2. A Theological Guide to Calvin's Institutes (Hall & Lillback, eds.)
3. Knowing God and Ourselves: Reading Calvin's Institutes Devotionally (Calhoun)

Calhoun's work is particularly helpful if you want to read the Institutes as part of your devotions.

Another general work I found very helpful - John Calvin: For a New Reformation (Thomas & Tweeddale, editors).
This is a great study of Calvin's life and theology in general. There is a chapter at the book on important works by Calvin himself, and study guides on the Institutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back