Studies on Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGF

Puritan Board Sophomore
My weekly men's group will be starting a study of the gospel of Mark in two weeks. We are looking for a decent commentary or study. Any suggestions?

Spurgeon's recommendations:
ALEXANDER (JOSEPH ADDISON, D.D.) Mark Ex-plained. Post 8yD. 5/-Lond., Nisbet. 1866. S. 3/6. Alexander expounds Mark as an independent record, and does not constantly tell us to "see Matthew and Luke." Hence the book is complete in itself, and the author's learning and care have made is invaluable.

B. (G.) Practical Commentary on Mark, in Simple and Familiar Language. 12mo. 3/-Lond., Nisbet. 1863. The different paragraphs are treated under most suggestive headings which are the most useful parts of the book. Infant baptism is far too prominent, but the little work is likely to be very helpful.

GODWIN (John H.) Mark. A New Translation, with Note, and Doctrinal Lessons. Cr. 8yD. 4/6. Lond., Hodder & Stoughton. 1869. S. 2/-We like the brief doctrinal lessons, which are rather a new feature They will serve admirably well as sermon-hints. The notes and translation are really good.

GOODWIN (HARVEY, D.D., Bp. of Carlisle). Commentary. Cr. 8vD. 7/6. Lond., G. Bell & Sons. 1860. Contains much very helpful comment. Produced in connection with the Cambridge Working Men's College.

MORISON (JAMES, D.D.) A Commentary. Large 8yD. 14/-Lond., Hamilton, Adams & Co. 1873. A deeply learned work; we know of none more thorough. Differing as we do from this author's theology, we nevertheless set a high price upon this production.

PETTER (GEORGE). Commentary on Mark. 2 vols., folio. Lond., 1661. f1 12s. 6d. Mr. J. C. Ryle says of this work: "For laborious investigation of the meaning of every word, for patient discussion of every question bearing; on the text, for fullness of matter, for real thoughtfulness, and for continued practical application, there is no work on St. Mark which, in my opinion, bears comparison with Peter's. Like Goliath's sword, there is nothing like it." We have found far less fresh thought in it than we expected, and think it rather tedious reading.

Bold = especially recommended by him.
- http://www.spurgeon.org/misc/c&c_c09.htm

2 responses and J.A. Alexander is memtioned in both. Sounds worthy of consideration. Is anyone familiar with Sinclair Ferguson's contribution to the Let's Study series?

It's a good book; I have it. SFerguson is usually among the best alive today. He doesn't cover the last vv of ch.16.

If I recall, that series includes pages (in the back) that are study guide/questions. (But I don't think the authors work those up, rather the editors.)

Thanks Tim and Bruce. I'll recommend Alexander and Ferguson to the group. I might even toss in JC Ryle.

Ryle is very accessible. Stein's BECNT is also very good, though not as colloquial as Ryle, ditto on Lane's NICNT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back