Struggles From Credo to Paedo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if we're honest enough with regard to this question, we will find reasons that run deeper than just "scripture is clear on this." Perhaps you personally had a dramatic conversion and still remember the blessed day of your own baptism by immersion. Perhaps you are a father and was converted later in life through a Presbyterian church and led your whole family to receive the covenant sign. Perhaps you have experience miscarriage in your family and it has become important to you that your children receive baptism as infants. For some, there is simply a desire to identify fully with the early church, Calvin, the Reformed, or the Presbyterian theologies. These subjective reasons are powerful in contributing to the reasons why we tend to view scripture a certain way. It's unavoidable and not necessarily wrong for you to have these filters. Jon, perhaps do an inventory of some of these matters along with your study of scripture and books on the topic. Do you want the experience of baptizing your children as infants, or do you want them to experience it themselves when they have received faith? Do you want to identify with a particular confession of faith or tradition? Whatever you decide in the end, may you be fully convinced and faithful to that tradition.

"
I think if we're honest enough with regard to this question, we will find reasons that run deeper than just "scripture is clear on this." Perhaps you personally had a dramatic conversion and still remember the blessed day of your own baptism by immersion. Perhaps you are a father and was converted later in life through a Presbyterian church and led your whole family to receive the covenant sign. Perhaps you have experience miscarriage in your family and it has become important to you that your children receive baptism as infants. For some, there is simply a desire to identify fully with the early church, Calvin, the Reformed, or the Presbyterian theologies. These subjective reasons are powerful in contributing to the reasons why we tend to view scripture a certain way. It's unavoidable and not necessarily wrong for you to have these filters. Jon, perhaps do an inventory of some of these matters along with your study of scripture and books on the topic. Do you want the experience of baptizing your children as infants, or do you want them to experience it themselves when they have received faith? Do you want to identify with a particular confession of faith or tradition? Whatever you decide in the end, may you be fully convinced and faithful to that tradition.

I think you have pointed out something very insightful, Dennis. Thanks! I am not sure whether your insight applies to my situation, but I will definitely consider what you have said. I never thought about looking at my motivations in this issue. You are correct. My motivations are likely to cloud the truth.

To be sure, one of the reasons that I am looking into baptism question is because I want to know the truth for myself. When I read such "greats of the church" as Matthew Henry, John Calvin, William Gurnall, John Owen, I don't know that I should lightly dismiss their convictions. While these men a liable to err, I do believe their teachings deserve my consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back