Stoicism

Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be helpful to view Stoicism in its historical context to get a better understanding of it, although very great words by very intelligent people have been spoken on it here already. Greek philosophy basically began as asking what is the nature of things, or what we have come to call metaphysics? They from the begining sought to answer such lofty questions at the disdain of practical everyday life. Stoicism, Epicureanism, and Cynicism were all reactions In my humble opinion to such lofty questions by making philosophy primaraly, I don't think that is spelled right?, about everday human experience.

They had their metaphysical theories to be sure but they were more concerned with how do then live in such a metaphysical context? For instance if the gods are completly indifferent to everything than I should in a measured way live it up, Epicureanism. Or everything is so "fated" that I must take it all with stride and hold my head up high, Stoicism. There is actually great continuties between these two schools of thought and Existentialism.

For the Stoic we must take life as it is fated for us, for the Exitentialist we must live authentically in the life we are "thrown" into. Camus was in some sense a modern Stoic. One of the only differences between these two schools of thought is the beleif in any gods.

Now can we "chrisitinize" these philosophies at all? I would say fundementaly no. Yes there are things to be gained by these thinkers but on a fundemental, presupossitional, level they are at odds with christian theism. Therefore we need to be careful with how we read them and incorperate any ideas from them. In Stoicism and Epicureanism the gods have no real concern for humanity but our God does, that is a presupossitional difference between the two.

On a personal note I think we need Van Tillian philosophers out there to write Reformed commentaries on all philosophers to better serve the church in exploring these things. It has been far too long for most VanTillians to lose our allergy to philosophy and start from Reformed theology and do truly christian philosophy. So I am sounding the call for VanTillians to do philosophy and contribute to this much negleted need in our churches. K. Scott Oliphant said nearely the same stuff and also added that any VanTillian doing this would be virtualy alone in doing so. I think we can do better than that.

Now can we "chrisitinize" these philosophies at all? I would say fundementaly no. Yes there are things to be gained by these thinkers but on a fundemental, presupossitional, level they are at odds with christian theism. Therefore we need to be careful with how we read them and incorperate any ideas from them. In Stoicism and Epicureanism the gods have no real concern for humanity but our God does, that is a presupossitional difference between the two.

I think this is key.

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:26 PM ----------

On a personal note I think we need Van Tillian philosophers out there to write Reformed commentaries on all philosophers to better serve the church in exploring these things. It has been far too long for most VanTillians to lose our allergy to philosophy and start from Reformed theology and do truly christian philosophy. So I am sounding the call for VanTillians to do philosophy and contribute to this much negleted need in our churches. K. Scott Oliphant said nearely the same stuff and also added that any VanTillian doing this would be virtualy alone in doing so. I think we can do better than that.

I'm interested in possibly continuing my education in philosophy/apologetics but is it that neglected of an area (as far as Reformed folks doing philosophy)?

I'm interested in possibly continuing my education in philosophy/apologetics but is it that neglected of an area (as far as Reformed folks doing philosophy)?

I would say yes. Too many Reformed apologests have an allergy to doing philosophy. Christian Essentialism - ReformedForum.org. Here is where I heard Scott oliphant talking about the need for Reformed philosophers. If I ever get to doing doctoral work myself it will be in philosophy as well, good luck.

Can anybody inform me on Stoicism? What within it is right within the Christian worldview? What is wrong? Why is it wrong? etc.

Thanks!

Stoicism can have some noble sentiments about virtue, duty, honor, reserve and so forth. However, it is not Christian. I think Stoicism is Westernized Buddhism or Buddhism is easternized Stoicism. Many of Church Fathers..Jerome for an example were influenced by Stoicism even to an negative extent. Stoicism can be extremely tempting to people who are fed up with chattering, noisy, and cluttered lives.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:58 PM ----------

I would say yes. Too many Reformed apologests have an allergy to doing philosophy. Christian Essentialism - ReformedForum.org. .

It is an overcorrection that goes back to late Renaissance in to the Reformation. Hopefully the Reformed world doesn't fall over the other side of the horse.

It is an overcorrection that goes back to late Renaissance in to the Reformation. Hopefully the Reformed world doesn't fall over the other side of the horse.

I would agree, I think that if we start with Van Til's thoughts we probably will not go over to the other side of the horse. He started with theology, worked out the philosophical implications of this, and than used that in the service of developing an apologetic.

James, this is a bit off-topic but what are some Reformed philosophers that have been of help to the church? I've heard that besides Van Til, Greg Bahnsen was great (I still have to read his works though). Any others? And what do you think about Bahnsen?

James, this is a bit off-topic but what are some Reformed philosophers that have been of help to the church? I've heard that besides Van Til, Greg Bahnsen was great (I still have to read his works though). Any others? And what do you think about Bahnsen?

I love Bahnsen, he is exactly what I am talking about. He did original VanTillian philosophy. K. Scott Oliphant has done some great work in the subject-object problem in philosophy using covenant theology. I believe that we can move forward here. I for one am studying Derrida and Levinas' ideas of an ontology of violence and how that relates to contemporary moral/political issues and how only a redeamed christian love can overcome the ontology of violence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back