Stavkirke

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil D.

ὁ βαπτιστὴς
I quite enjoy church architecture in all its interesting variations. This little gem is actually only a couple of miles from where we currently live. "The Chapel in the Hills" is an exact replica of the Stavkirke ("Stave Church") in Borgund, Norway, which dates to about 1200 AD. "Stave" refers to the vertical wooden boards used throughout its construction. It is completely made of wood, with no metal used for structural support or as fasteners.

1623520115031.jpeg 1623520171072.jpeg
1623520218384.jpeg 1623520449861.jpeg

Last edited:
That building looks really interesting. To me, it even looks a bit Japanese. Still, as I thought that this thread was something to do with Star Trek, I am probably not the best judge of such matters. :lol:

That building looks really interesting. To me, it even looks a bit Japanese. Still, as I thought that this thread was something to do with Star Trek, I am probably not the best judge of such matters. :lol:
I think you were on to something... It does boldly go where no church structure has gone before... And the multi-tiered design is somewhat pagoda-esque...

Actually, this basic style was apparently fairly common in mid-medieval times across northwest Europe and Scandinavia. The steep-pitched roofs were excellent for shedding snow in that climate. In this case a distinct Norse influence is seen in the four rooftop dragonhead ornaments, which were derived from those found on Viking longboats.

Last edited:
A little background on this replica... Thousands of Scandinavian immigrants came to North and South Dakota in the late 1800's and early 1900's, bringing their cultural influence with them. The chapel was built in 1968/69 and largely funded by a prosperous Norwegian merchant in Rapid City, who donated it to the local Evangelical Lutheran Church, which continues to maintain it. Apart from general viewing it is occasionally used for small weddings that have the church's blessing. When we visited this morning it was nice to see them also using it for outreach. There was a collared Lutheran minister and another lay-person there, unobtrusively introducing and making themselves available to talk with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back