Sprouls Reformation Study Bible or Beekes Heritage Reformation Study Bible

The Heritage KJV, The Reformation ESV or The Reformation NKJV

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gavin

Puritan Board Freshman
image.jpg

It seems we are spoilt for choice between Ligoniers Reformation Study Bible (RSB), soon to be updated to include the Reformed standards and to be available in both ESV (March) and NKJV (later this year ... But I could stand to be corrected)
And on the right The Heritage Reformation Study Bible (HRSB) including the Reformed standards available in the KJV.

I briefly owned a copy of the HRSB before passing it on as a gift and whilst considering replacing my copy I learnt of the forthcoming RSB. I doubt the in text notes and articles will change much ...
SO, in addition to the pole, my main question is has anybody had time to compare the Systematic Theologies that are threaded throughout these two Study Bibles?

Ps I realise that it is the Reformation Heritage Study Bible and not the other way round, a hindsight.

http://reformationstudybible.com
http://kjvstudybible.org/2014/07/21/234/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
View attachment 4113

I briefly owned a copy of the HRSB before passing it on as a gift and whilst considering replacing my copy I learnt of the forthcoming RSB. I doubt the in text notes and articles will change much so my question is has anybody had time to briefly compare the systematic theologies that are threaded throughout these two Study Bibles?

The Reformation Study Bible edited by R.C. Sproul
Introducing the Reformation Heritage KJV Study Bible |

I was one of the contributors to the revised Reformation Study Bible. I haven't seen the whole thing, but the OT notes have been quite substantially beefed up. I also read John L Mackay's contributions to the revision and found them to be excellent. We are indeed blessed with many good Reformed study bibles of various kinds.

Thank you pastor, I stand to be corrected:)

Just to put my conscience to rest, this is in no wise intended to be a showdown or anything of the sort. I consider all contributors to be sound brothers in the fields of Lord. As far as the notes go, beyond expectations, but probably for me the deal breaker would purely be the Bible translation.

Last edited:
I have had the opportunity to very briefly, look through the RSB at a friend, and having had a HRSB from what I recall the subtle differences in the Systematic Theology could be, that the HRSB is more Reformed, despite the multi denominational contributors, whilst the RSB is more Presbyterian.
Any one else pick up on this?

Last edited:
This just came in from Ligoniers site:

"The Reformation Study Bible™ is carefully crafted to offer an unparalleled reading, study, and discipleship experience for every age and stage of the Christian life.

Trustworthy Scholars & Commentary
• New theological notes from general editor, R.C. Sproul
• Commentary from 75 faithful theologians from around the world
• New topical articles to enrich additional study of Scripture

Thoroughly Revised & Expanded Study Aids
• Over 1.1 million words of verse-by-verse and topical explanations
• Over 20,000 new, revised, or expanded study notes
• Historical creeds and confessions from 2,000 years of church history

New Study Tools & Visual Helps
• 16 pages of high-resolution full color maps at back of Bible
• Embedded maps provide quick references as you read
• Concordance, table of weights and measures, and more

Additional Details
• Physical Dimensions: 6.5” x 9.375” x 2.125”
• Font Size: 9.5/11. "

http://www.ligonier.org/store/the-r...il&utm_term=0_420f754c7c-3f44294813-241859041

So it is premature to draw a comparison ... But it is one I would like to hear discussed at a later date. :book2:

I have the Reformation Study Bible 1st edition esv version and I really like that a lot I don't think that if you keep updating bibles you get something new. Its a great bible and my everyday kinda bible......

I still haven't got my ideal version of the Bible (basically because it's what I use):

KJV+YLT side by side, with a condensed version of Matthew Henry's note, and the Psalms in both prose and meter (1650 SMV).

There are Matthew Henry KJV Study Bibles, KJV + Metrical Psalms from TBS, and maybe someone has been a KJV/YLT parallel.

For now, I do rather like the Reformation Heritage Study Bible KJV. My favorite part from what I've seen (just the sample version) is the family worship questions.

Ok, at the risk of sounding unappreciative ..
my ideal Bible would be an ESV with the following 2 appendixes: reformed standards with Scripture proofs organised in chain reference system (similar to the system used by Scofield, but then with topics dealt with in the Confessions etc). This would be the sytematic theology. I think every study Bible should be upfront about the theology they are following.
And secondly the concordance to be a condensed Youngs analytical concordance (which by default includes Hebrew and Greek dictionary's and names of places and people) This should help do away the the thousands of verse for verse notes, being at the same time a Hebrew and Greek dictionary. The gazetteer should be incorporated within that dictionary concordance.
Mc Cheynes Bible reading plan should be placed in the front and harmonised with a system of devotions at the end of each chapter as the Heritage Study Bible has. On the whole I prefer stand alone commentaries to verse for verse explanations, and a clever dictionary/concordance should help with translation and interpretation.

What I liked in the Heritage Study Bible are the thought and discussion provoking devotions, together with the puritan style of writing, very unique. One can easily see the influences of the reformers and puritans on the commentators.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back