Spotted on the Banner of Truth site - The Works of William Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He truly is one of the best of all-time, most assuredly he was given the tongue of the learned to speak a word in due season to them that are weary; and I think he even had the ability to apply the salve of the gospel in a manner Spurgeon even couldn't.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

He truly is one of the best of all-time, most assuredly he was given the tongue of the learned to speak a word in due season to them that are weary; and I think he even had the ability to apply the salve of the gospel in a manner Spurgeon even couldn't.
Tell me more, good sir. Not like I need any more books though.

The Works of William Bridge (SDG; 5 volumes; 1990). First published in three volumes in 1649, in two volumes in 1657, and later expanded to include all the writings of Bridge in five volumes in 1845, The Works of William Bridge (reprinted from the 1845 edition) is full of practical Puritan teaching. Topics such as the gospel mystery, the great things of faith, Christ and the covenant, and evangelical repentance are covered with keen insight and pastoral warmth. Chapters in volume 1 include: “The Great Gospel Mystery of the Saints’ Comfort and Holiness,” “Satan’s Power to Tempt and Christ’s Love to and Care of His People Under Temptation,” “Grace for Grace, or the Overflowings of Christ’s Fullness Received by All Saints,” “The Spiritual Life, and In-being of Christ in All Believers,” “Scripture Light the Most Sure Light” (sermons on 2 Peter 1:19 which elicited a response from the Quaker, George Whitehead), and “The Righteous Man’s Habitation in the Time of Plague and Pestilence” (an exposition of Psalm 91 to encourage believers while the plague ravaged London). Volume 2 includes: “A Lifting up for the Downcast,” “Five Sermons on Faith,” and “The Freeness of the Grace and Love of God to Believers Discovered.” Volume 3 contains “Christ and the Covenant” (a series of ten sermons taken down by note-takers), “Christ in Travail,” and “Seasonable Truths in Evil Times” (nine sermons preached in the London area, including one that asserts the repression of nonconformists is part of God’s design to test them). Volume 4 contains “Seventeen Sermons on Various Subjects and Occasions” and “Evangelical Repentance.” Volume 5 contains “The Sinfulness of Sin and the Fullness of Christ,” “Eight Sermons,” “A Word to the Aged,” “The Wounded Conscience Cured” (asserts the right of subjects to defend themselves and of parliament to declare what the law is), “The Truth of the Times Vindicated” (insists that truth must be defended even as it acknowledges that civil war is the worst form of conflict), “The Loyal Convert” (condemns “service-book men” who do not uphold the Solemn League and Covenant), and “The Doctrine of Justification by Faith Opened.”

Beeke, Joel R.; Peterson, Randall J.. Meet the Puritans . Reformation Heritage Books. Kindle Edition.

---
But with Boston being released next year... much considerations needed

I desired to add one more image from Bridge, an oldie I keep saved in my phone.
PXL_20211104_192356805.jpg

Take this as well:

"The poor soul, when he knows that his debt is paid, and Christ hath satisfied, then he may go with boldness unto the throne of grace.

But you will say, I cannot have the comfort of this, because I cannot say that Christ hath satisfied for me: How shall I know that Jesus Christ is my High Priest, so as to have satisfied for me? Ah, if I did but know that the Lord Jesus Christ were my High Priest in this particular, so as to have satisfied for me, then should I have comfort indeed: how shall I discover that? I am afraid he hath not satisfied for me!

And why not for thee? (man or woman) why not for thee? I shall tell you what I have heard concerning a young man, that lay upon his death bed, and went to heaven : while he was lying upon his death bed, he comforted himself in this: That the Lord Christ died for sinners. Oh! blessed be the Lord (says he) Jesus Christ hath died for me.

Satan came in with this temptation to him: Aye but, young man, why for thee? Christ died for sinners, but why for thee? how canst thou make that appear, that Christ died for thee? Nay Satan (says he) and why not for me? Ah! the Lord Jesus, he died for sinners, and therefore, Satan, why not for me? So he held his comfort, and went up to heaven triumphing.

So say I to thee, poor drooping soul, that labours under temptation; why not for thee? why not for thee? and say so unto Satan, Why not for me?

Again, Christ's satisfaction lies open for all sorts of sinners to come unto it. As the promise, it runs indefinitely; and if a man come to the promise, and apply it; his very applying the promise does make it his. You say, Oh! that I did but know that the promise belongs to me: I say, thy very resting upon the promise makes it to belong to thee."

Who wants to gift me the set for the Lord’s Day this year on December 25th?

This is it. Especially excited since there are no good digital copies of his works on Logos.
I am going to tinker for a bit and see if I can create a PB upload of the works for Logos. I have ABBYY 14, and if these OCR alright, I should be able to make short work of all 5 volumes. Will make into one resource for one upload if possible. Will let yall know.

I am going to tinker for a bit and see if I can create a PB upload of the works for Logos. I have ABBYY 14, and if these OCR alright, I should be able to make short work of all 5 volumes. Will make into one resource for one upload if possible. Will let yall know.
tbh, archive.org high resolution scans look great on my iPad, it is good enough for now. I do not really need it for Logos as it is not a work I reference; but just for my own reading.

William Bridge's works were painful to let go of during a difficult season.

Though I was hoping we would publish them, I am thrilled they will be available again.

William Bridge's works were painful to let go of during a difficult season.

Though I was hoping we would publish them, I am thrilled they will be available again.
Can’t you guys let a small UK publisher have at least some of the UK divines? RHB is turning into a publishing monopoly!

I think both publishers have equal “power”… so any joke on how one is smaller or larger than the other falls flat… sorry
Maybe that’s precisely the joke, especially considering it was spoken to someone who works for RHB.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back