"Spiritual Depression" by Martyn Lloyd-Jones

Discussion in 'Spiritual Warfare' started by Herald, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

When I purchased Dr. Lloyd-Jones' compendium on Epeshians, I decided to procure his book on spiritual depression. I am one chapter into the book but I am amazed at Dr. L.J.'s insight. I have a battled with depression over the past few years and have always thought the battle was spiritual in nature.

Has anyone ever read this book? Your opinion(s)?

2. Bladestunner316

Bladestunner316 Puritan Board Doctor

Ive only heard good about the author so the book must be decent I may give a try if I can since it's(depression) been hitting me hard the past couple of days.

3. turmeric

turmeric Megerator

Haven't read it but I'm told it's an excellent book.

4. Richard King

Richard King Puritan Board Senior

I just bought a used copy off of Amazon a few weeks ago and it was kind of funny to see that it came from Jerry Falwell's Liberty University. I wonder if it got kicked out.

5. C. Matthew McMahon

C. Matthew McMahon Christian Preacher

6. Larry Hughes

Larry Hughes Puritan Board Sophomore

Bill,

I too bought & read it about 3 years ago struggling with some very very dark spiritual trials, worse than death or physical torment. A great series on the subject that brings forth his medical background as well. A combo you WILL NOT find in 99.9999999999% of pastors. MLJ is one of the true shepard's of the church. Most pastors today are utterly clueless on spiritual trials. Most of them are mere speculators & chatterers with nothing to offer or help. I say that unapologetically as one who has suffered this.

Highly, recommended. Also depending on your struggle I have others I'd recommend. On this subject, first hand experience, I've read the best & some horrible ones. The struggling Christian is my heartbeat - literally.

Larry

7. Herald

Herald Moderator Staff Member

Larry, thank you. My expectation level is moderated by the fact that it is a book. Still, I am praying that it contains some jewels. I am glad that it meant so much to you. May God grant you continued peace in your soul.

Bill

8. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

I"ve read the book three times. Lloyd-Jones is awesome. One of my favorite authors.

9. VirginiaHuguenot

VirginiaHuguenot Puritanboard Librarian

Thanks for the tip, Matt! I checked and RHB is cheaper than Grace and Truth Books in this case but here is what the latter says about Timothy Rogers and the book:

10. piningforChrist

piningforChrist Puritan Board Freshman

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Puritan Board Doctor

"Spiritual Depression" is probably one of Dr. Lloyd-Jones best books. Like all of his books, it consists of previously preached messages. I haven't looked at it in a while, but remember the bit about "preaching to yourself" (following Ps. 42) was good, as well as the chapters on discipline and several on chastening, something that isn't given much emphasis these days.

12. BrianBowman

BrianBowman Posting Priviledges Revoked

I'm currently pouring over "Trouble of Mind and the Disease of Melancholy" ... tremendous book!! I cannot recommend it highly enough!!

13. alwaysreforming

alwaysreforming Puritan Board Sophomore

I just received my copy a few days ago, too, Brian!

:ditto: :book2:

14. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

Thank you all for the endorsements of Rogers' book! :D

15. Scott

Scott Puritan Board Graduate

Is Trouble of Mind in modern English?

16. Ivan

Ivan Pastor

Oh, here we go again! Another book I'd like to buy. I'm very interested in Biblical Counseling, in fact I want to eventually be certified as a Biblical Counselor or even get a degree.

It is my contention that the Puritans were the greatest Biblical Counselors. If I get a degree I want to write a paper along those lines.

17. Don Kistler

Don Kistler Puritan Board Sophomore

Yes, "Trouble of Mind" has been slightly modernized: grammar, punctuation, syntax, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.