Spec Bibles

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Wouldn't it be cool if there were a publisher that would print up for you a Bible exactly the way you wanted it? You could tell him what size typeface you want, which translation you prefer (with a variety to choose from), one ribbon or two, words of Christ in red or not, color and material of cover, what kind of back matter you want (maps, etc.) or not, single column or double columns, study note (and whose) or not, etc., etc.

I would want: black hardback cover (no leather - doesn't last), ESV translation, two ribbons (one for each testament), no words of Christ in red, no study notes, leave out all those presentation page thingees in the front, no maps, a standard large-print typeface, and each verse begins its own line with one column per page.

And: bound so it lies open flat wherever you open it, and so that it won't fall apart for at least 9,000 years!

Would that there were such publishers...(sigh)

My husband has also dreamed of being able to "put his own Bible together"

I think he would actually combine some translations, have references on the inside of the page, leave the bottom 1/3 of the page for notes. Too bad you can't print 'hotlinks' inside a Bible.:book2:

Actually it is my experience that hardcover Bibles tear up much more quickly than do leather bound ones, even bonded leather. But the quality of hardcover today (as with leather) isn't anywhere near what it used to be. Pew Bibles may be an exception to this, however, and they also generally are not red letter.

Crossway with the ESV is probably closest to what you want, Richard. They are coming out with a plethora of different ESV's and at least a few of them are in part the result of popular demand and/or suggestion. I also recently saw an ESV daily reading Bible in hardcover with 3 ribbons and with the text arranged normally (unlike the One Year Bible) so it can double as a general use Bible.

I am glad that a few publishers (Crossway, Lockman) seem to be catching on to the fact that not everyone wants the red letters. On the other hand, the only Bible that Nelson publishes that I know of that doesn't have red letters is the MacArthur Study Bible. And Nelson's red letters are such a dull red that it is hard to for me to read.

Actually it is my experience that hardcover Bibles tear up much more quickly than do leather bound ones, even bonded leather. But the quality of hardcover today (as with leather) isn't anywhere near what it used to be. Pew Bibles may be an exception to this, however, and they also generally are not red letter.

Crossway with the ESV is probably closest to what you want, Richard. They are coming out with a plethora of different ESV's and at least a few of them are in part the result of popular demand and/or suggestion. I also recently saw an ESV daily reading Bible in hardcover with 3 ribbons and with the text arranged normally (unlike the One Year Bible) so it can double as a general use Bible.

I am glad that a few publishers (Crossway, Lockman) seem to be catching on to the fact that not everyone wants the red letters. On the other hand, the only Bible that Nelson publishes that I know of that doesn't have red letters is the MacArthur Study Bible. And Nelson's red letters are such a dull red that it is hard to for me to read.

Yes, the ESV comes in all sorts of ways. I'm eagerly awaiting their late January release of their one-verse-to-a-line, single-column Bible.

Funny you should mention pew Bibles. I've often thought that, in the end, if you want a sturdy, lasting copy of the Scriptures, you should forget leather, etc., and just buy a pew Bible. They're made to last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back