Spanish Psalter - First Time Ever!

Status
Not open for further replies.

py3ak

Unshaven and anonymous
Staff member
There is a project in place to publish a complete Psalter in Spanish! See the following article.

Greetings in the great name of Christ our King!

We are witnessing an historic breakthrough for Spanish-language churches. The entirety of the Psalter has been put into Spanish, in metrical form, and set to the Genevan tunes which have been used in many Reformed churches since the Reformation.

One of the primary publishers in the United States for Reformed literature in Spanish is now preparing to go to press with an edition of this Psalter. But there is need for funds to underwrite this undertaking.

The translation was made by Rev. Jorge Ruiz Ortiz, who has a doctorate in theology, and is pastor of the Iglesia Cristiana Presbiteriana, in Miranda de Ebro, Spain. The publisher is Publicaciones Faro de Gracia, directed by Rev. Wayne Anderson, of North Carolina (Welcome to Faro de Gracia).

There was a frustrated effort to produce a Spanish metrical Psalter at the time of the Reformation, but this is now apparently the first time that Protestant churches will have this treasure for use in the worship of God.

We are writing to enlist your aid in making this publication a reality. The publishers would like to issue the work in 2010. A minimum of $3500 is required in order to go to press. The money could be raised through donations, or through pre-publication orders.

The price after publication will be $11.95, but the Psalter is being offered at a pre-publication price of $6.95 on orders of twenty-five or more copies paid for in advance.

The Psalter will have a kiver vinyl cover. It will include Calvin’s preface to the Psalter, and hopefully the Genevan tunes will also be given.

Please consider contributing to the publication of this very important work. It will greatly assist the further reformation of the Spanish-language church. Please pass this along to others who may be interested in helping.

Payment and donations should be sent to:

Publicaciones Faro de Gracia
P.O. Box 1043
Graham, NC 27253

The Sponsor-a-Title page at the publisher’s web site is Sponsor a Title.

Humbly submitted for Christ’s cause,

Edgar A. Ibarra Jr

Web master of Presbiteriano Reformado - Introdución a ministry of the Presbytery of the US of the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)

Rev. Sherman Isbell

Minister of Westminster Presbyterian Church of the Presbytery of the US of the Free Church of Scotland (Continuing)

I am very excited about this. When we were in Mexico, it was a huge hurdle to overcome that it was almost impossible to find more than one or two Psalms to sing - I was even reduced to trying to metricalize them myself from time to time.

I can vouch for the publisher - I have known him for many years. And I have seen the metricalization, and believe it to be well done. Dr. Ortiz was very gracious in some correspondence I had with him about the matter.

Those tunes never hurt anybody! And they're easier to teach people without a lot of musical background than a lot of other stuff.

Excellent. It is very encouraging to hear bits and pieces of news about solid reformed works in spanish speaking countries. I am glad that this is being done.

I think that the wide diffusion of this Psalter could help to counteract the flood of prosperity Gospel teaching. In Mexico City there are churches named, "Stop Suffering!" Again and again it is necessary to point people to Job and to the Psalms to see that God's favor to sinners in this stricken world doesn't usually result in something like a drug cartel's compound. What a blessing for the laments to give Biblical expression to and Biblical answers for the anguish that is part of our life here: if it serves, as it should, to inoculate them against error as well, introducing and promoting this Psalter may be one of the best indirect means of combating false gospels that is likely to be given to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back