Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I respectfully disagree with pastor Lance. I go to Southwestern right now, so I have a better view of what's going on inside. Even if the trustees and Paige Patterson are wrapped up in politics, it doesn't flow into the lives or education of the students. Admittedly, Southwestern isn't an academic beacon, nor does it desire to be. Then again, it is no DTS either where the teachers are more concerned with writing their next book instead of teaching their class.

As far as the claims of being theologically nebulous, I guess pastor Lance is right if you mean that they teach all sides of the issues. There is no doubt where most of the professors fall, and it is always to the conservative side. The vast majority of my professors are full 5 point Calvinists, and many that are not are 4 pointers who deny Limited Atonement through the union with Christ argument that many claim is found in Calvin's work.

Southwestern has never desired to be a stuffy, academic atmosphere, but has always been dedicated first and foremost to missions and evangelism. That is why over half of the world's Baptist missionaries are from Southwestern. That's their passion, and means that they will never be an Oxford or Princeton, where academics reign supreme. It's just secondary at SWBTS.

Anyways, I hope this helps your pursuit. Also, if you live in Texas, consider Westminster over in Dallas. It's very, very small, but will give you a great education. I'm probably doing my ThM through the main WTS campus.

That's one of the reasons why so few students/faculty that like Paige. There really is a rift forming in the SBC between the more Reformed and the Arminians.

Originally posted by smellingsalts
What Seminary would be good then? I am looking to get a job in the Financial aid department and work full-time and do seminary part-time. Looking at various websites, Bethel has a decent program for full-time workers and that is why their on my list, plus I have family in Minnesota too.

I heard that Bethel is into Open Theism! :down:

Southern is a very good seminary. Dr. Mohler is as Reformed as you are going to get as a Southern Baptist.

Although I graduated from SWBTS, I don't know much about it now, but I'd say it's better than a lot of seminaries, but not Reformed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back