Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsw201

Puritan Board Senior
I was reading in the paper this morning that a Paige Patterson is expected to be named president of SWBTS in Fort Worth. They say he is a conservative Baptist. Does this mean he is a Reformed Baptist or just Arminian Lite? And if he is reformed, what does this mean for the Seminary?

Paige is the current president of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in North Carolina. He is conservative but he is not Reformed.

SWBTS is currently under conservative control so there will be little change by way of doctrine. He will probably change other things about the Seminary.

Derick

Does anyone remember who the SBC guy was that bemoaned the Founders' Calvinistic influence in the SBC?

Thanks for the info Drdad.

Say, are there any Reformed Baptist Seminaries out there? I know WTS-CA is working with a group to use their campus.

There was a good one run out of Trinity by Al Martin, but it went by the wayside. If I wanted to find out the best place for an RB to go, I would call either Martin or Chantry or Waldron.

[b:580f9aa264]WSW[/b:580f9aa264]

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY is reformed. Albert Mohler is a good man with a good foundation theologically.

[b:580f9aa264]Fred[/b:580f9aa264]

Take your pick. Adrianne Rogers is often saying slanderous things to that effect. Paige Patterson is not a friend of the Founders either. Yet, I know people who know him personally and say his bark is much louder than his bite... that in class he is very respectful of reformed belief. I do not know him personally so I must rely on 2nd hand information.

Derick

[i:ce1aad92b9]"Certain of the traditional five points of Calvinism, specifically limited atonement and irresistible grace, seemed always to lack sufficient Scriptural evidence, and indeed, to be unable to explain much Scriptural evidence to the contrary."[/i:ce1aad92b9] - Paige Patterson, 2001, explaining why he considered and ultimately rejected Calvinism.

wsw201 asks: "Say, are there any Reformed Baptist Seminaries out there?"

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY (the flagship seminary of the SBC) has been Reformed ever since Al Mohler took over and kicked out all the Arminians.

Toronto Baptist Seminary is also Reformed.

dC

[quote:dcc5c249e1][i:dcc5c249e1]Originally posted by Drdad[/i:dcc5c249e1]
[b:dcc5c249e1]WSW[/b:dcc5c249e1]

Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, KY is reformed. Albert Mohler is a good man with a good foundation theologically.

[b:dcc5c249e1]Fred[/b:dcc5c249e1]

Take your pick. Adrianne Rogers is often saying slanderous things to that effect. Paige Patterson is not a friend of the Founders either. Yet, I know people who know him personally and say his bark is much louder than his bite... that in class he is very respectful of reformed belief. I do not know him personally so I must rely on 2nd hand information.

Derick [/quote:dcc5c249e1]

SOUTHERN SEMINARY ID NOT REFORMED! I am a grad from that seminary (May 2002). Even by the baptist standard it is not reformed. Thereare many prof.s who are not even Calvinists. Al Mohler is a Calvinist but that is it! He also headed up the comittee for the Lousiville Billy Graham Crusade a few years ago. Sure there are some Baptists there who are "Reformed" (by Baptist standards) but the Seminary is NOT Reformed.

With that said I will now say this: It is an excellent school!

[Edited on 6-18-2003 by Christopher]

Christopher,

I know there are some prof's who are not reformed like Leon Poddles and others. A close friend of mine is getting his Ph.D. there and got hist M-Div from there. He grants me that there are left-overs still there but he mentions many who are reformed teaching at Southern. I know Tom Nettles is strongly reformed and there are many there who are reformed.

Granted, you have first hand experience and I am coming from 2nd hand experience. But the number of prof's from Southern who contribute to the Founder's Movement are many.

Derick

Southern with Mohler is not reformed, it is calvinistic and reforming southern baptist.

Paige Patterson was president at the Criswell College while I attended. I know him well. He is not reformed or a calvinist, but he is also not an arminian. More like a 3 pointer who fears hyper-calvinism and will not stand for anyone who refuses to witness and preach the gospel at every opportunity!

He is a true scholar and a godly man. The stuff about him and the founders has been blown out of proportion by liberals who want to take back over the SBC or at least cause division by pitting the conservatives against one another.

There are not many men at all on the planet that I would put in the league of Patterson and Mohler for the work they do and the stands they take. Patterson will be an asset to SWTBS if he comes. He is one of the best evanglists I have ever heard, with a true burden to preach the gospel and real enthusiasm about missions. In fact, he is one of the greatest preachers I have ever heard preach.

Anyone with an opportunity to hear Patterson preach will be blessed and never forget the occassion.

Phillip

Pastorway is Right about Paige Patterson

I graduated from SEBTS under Patterson and was also on staff at church he joined while there (Mt. Vernon Baptist in Raleigh, NC). I know him well and he is a great man. Pastoway got him exactly right. He is the most irenic man I know with those he differs with theological arguments, as long as you are not heretical. He is perhaps the smartest man with whom I've ever conversed. I have the utmost respect for Paige Patterson.

Here are quotes from the man who will be named the president of my beloved seminary, a seminary founded by a "Calvinist" -- B. H. Carroll -- , next week.

[quote:b8102d1fa5]
I do not believe the Founders group is as forthcoming as it should be when it calls itself the Founders group, because the suggestion here is that all Southern Baptists were Calvinists at the inception of the convention. Nothing could be further from the truth. There have always been two strong tributaries flowing into the Southern Baptist river, one of them Charleston, one of them Sandy Creek. Now, Charleston is heavily Calvinistic, Sandy Creek is highly revivalist. Most of the people doing the writing were Calvinists. I admit that. But most of the people growing the denomination were Sandy Creekers who were out winning people to Christ. So both things are there and to suppose that the Convention was founded only by Calvinists is a total misrepresentation.
[/quote:b8102d1fa5]

[quote:b8102d1fa5]
Now, I don't care what any Calvinist has to say about it. Calvinism, as a doctrinal commitment, has always had the effect of being a drag, to put it the best way, kindest way, a drag on missions and evangelism.

All you have to do is prove me wrong, but you have to do it in some other way than citing Spurgeon because he's been cited often enough and it is not really impressive to cite Spurgeon and one or two others and say we've proved you wrong. No, look at the whole. Look at what has happened across the centuries. Wherever Calvinism takes a strong root, evangelism begins to suffer and world missions begin to suffer. And it is understandable why. Here is a man who believes that God has created this number of people over here to be saved and, because he believes in irresistible grace, they're going to get saved no matter what. So what is the necessity of my going to them? Well, in my mind of course I treat it this way: I say, Well, I've got to go to them because God's told me to go to them. So the fact that I'm a Calvinist doesn't make any difference really. God has told me to do it, so I've got to go to them. But let me tell you what. In your heart, if you don't think it's going to make any difference to begin with because what's done is done in eternity past, you [aren't] going to go. That's just the truth of the matter. Very seldom do people go. The fact that there are some exceptions only underscores the rule.
[/quote:b8102d1fa5]

Actually, the Baptist Liar is better known as the Baptist Standard. I went to college with the Editor in Chief and he hasn't changed a bit. Since he took over, the Baptist Standard has become an opinion page rather than a reporting tool.

[quote:4aadd66190][i:4aadd66190]Originally posted by Drdad[/i:4aadd66190]
Christopher,

I know there are some prof's who are not reformed like Leon Poddles and others. A close friend of mine is getting his Ph.D. there and got hist M-Div from there. He grants me that there are left-overs still there but he mentions many who are reformed teaching at Southern. I know Tom Nettles is strongly reformed and there are many there who are reformed.

Granted, you have first hand experience and I am coming from 2nd hand experience. But the number of prof's from Southern who contribute to the Founder's Movement are many.

Derick [/quote:4aadd66190]

yes. it is the closest thing to reformed southern baptist sem. you will find. it is getting better all of the time. in my opinion it one of the greatest seems in the country. more power to the Founders!

When I was an SBC pastor we referred to the "Baptist Standard" as the "Baptists Slandered" ! :lol:

[b:f26bdcba3e]We need to have a Texas Puritan Board Fellowship before the summer is over!!![/b:f26bdcba3e]

Phillip

[quote:01b36d0eae]
We need to have a Texas Puritan Board Fellowship before the summer is over!!!
[/quote:01b36d0eae]

Absolutely! Your place or mine?

BTW, I was not referring to any individual as the "Baptist Liar." Just wanted to make that clear. Just a play on words ("Baptist Fire"). :eureka:

[quote:2175f8c5cd]
We need to have a Texas Puritan Board Fellowship before the summer is over!!!
[/quote:2175f8c5cd]

Who's coming? We've got folks from Ft. Worth, Dallas, Round Rock, Denton, Texarkana and.....???

Just fellas, or fellas and wives?

What's on the agenda?

It's official.

It is now official. Paige Patterson is the new president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. He begins his term on August 1st.

Texas Puritan Fellowship

If you are in Texas or nearby...within driving distance of Dallas....

email me and let us see what we can put together later this summer before class starts up in the fall!!!!

Seriously.

[email protected]

Phillip

I am thinking about attending Southwestern Bapt. , Midwestern Bapt. in Kansas City or Bethel Seminary in Minnesota. How good are the classes at Southwestern?

Paul,

I realize that your question was specifically about Southern... but having sat under three graduates of Bethel I can safely say "Go anywhere but there." It is a liberal school to put it nicely.

Originally posted by smellingsalts
I am thinking about attending Southwestern Bapt. , Midwestern Bapt. in Kansas City or Bethel Seminary in Minnesota. How good are the classes at Southwestern?

While I must admit that things have improved some since I graduated from Southwestern in 1986, I would not recommend it. It is academically weak, theologically nebulous, and politically manipulated. Almost any other school would be a better choice.

What Seminary would be good then? I am looking to get a job in the Financial aid department and work full-time and do seminary part-time. Looking at various websites, Bethel has a decent program for full-time workers and that is why their on my list, plus I have family in Minnesota too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back