Source of quote from David Brainard

Status
Not open for further replies.

jambo

Puritan Board Senior
Lord, let me make a difference for you that is utterly disproportionate to who I am. (David Brainard)

I am intending to use the above quote in an upcoming article for our church and ant to be able to put a date to the diary entry it was written in. Would anyone here know where this actually appears in the treasure chest that is his Dairy and Journal?

It's not by Brainard.

Here is the quote:

"Have you ever prayed a prayer like this? “Lord, let me make a difference for you that is utterly disproportionate to who I am”? That’s the prayer I wrote in the margin of a book recently beside a quote from David Brainerd. You recall that Brainerd was a missionary to the New England Indians 250 years ago. He wrote: "Oh, that I might be a flaming fire in the service of the Lord. Here I am, Lord, send me; send me to the ends of the earth … send me from all that is called earthly comfort; send me even to death itself if it be but in Thy service and to promote Thy Kingdom.""

From
John Piper, Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life (Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers, 2005), 220.

Thanks Matthew for that response. I had thought it was David Brainard so will have to adjust what I was going to say!

It's not by Brainard.

Here is the quote:

"Have you ever prayed a prayer like this? “Lord, let me make a difference for you that is utterly disproportionate to who I am”? That’s the prayer I wrote in the margin of a book recently beside a quote from David Brainerd. You recall that Brainerd was a missionary to the New England Indians 250 years ago. He wrote: "Oh, that I might be a flaming fire in the service of the Lord. Here I am, Lord, send me; send me to the ends of the earth … send me from all that is called earthly comfort; send me even to death itself if it be but in Thy service and to promote Thy Kingdom.""

From
John Piper, Taste and See: Savoring the Supremacy of God in All of Life (Sisters, OR: Multnomah Publishers, 2005), 220.
I wondered if this were the case. “Utterly disproportionate” didn’t have the ring of American Puritan to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back