Song Of Songs Exegesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bookmeister

Puritan Board Freshman
Hey everyone, I have to do an exegesis paper on Song of Songs and am having trouble finding something to do it on. It is pretty wide open, my professor is writing a commentary on the book and is open to just about anything. Anyone got a great idea for me?

I am having trouble picking a passage/topic. One example would be "what do the locked/unlocked gardens/vineyards mean," or I could exegete a passage. There are so many options especially with the myriad different interpretations. I am just fishing for ideas, not that I can't think of any, just can't come down decisively on anything.

What about "how does the bride love her king" i.e., "how does the church love Jesus"

Since the whole Bible is about Jesus, why not make that the topic?

Bookmeister,

I can give you some interesting resources for this. John Hobbins has written two different studies on the Song of Songs here and here. This is a tough assignment because, as he notes:

Parallelism in the Song of Songs is often subtle and complex. Verset and line-level parallelisms are augmented by strophe and stanza-level parallelisms. It is impossible to catch it all in a notation scheme.

The only downside is that, because of this complexity, his notation is somewhat difficult to follow.

The best I can tell you is to make sure you think through what you are saying, and, if you don't know, don't be afraid to say, "I don't know," and just present all sides of the exegetical discussion.

God Bless,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back