Some Thoughts on the Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our session has called for a day of prayer and fasting Friday March 13. It would be marvelous if the wider reformed community united in such a manner.

Last edited:
Thus far attendance at our worship service has not been impacted... perhaps our people think this is all a bunch of hooey, or maybe they are being as safe as they can and they trust our measures to help them be safe.

Thus far attendance at our worship service has not been impacted

Our 9:30 service was well down on Sunday - probably a combination of daylight savings time causing some folks to shift to 11, and Highland Park being on spring break. We have a guest preacher next week, so I'll see how that goes.

I'm more concerned at this point about oil being in the low 30s than I am about the impact of the Wuhan flu on the church.

As a side note, they mentioned not shaking hands and to just fist bump. Nothing about elbow bumps this week.

I'm not too worried. Most things brought in from China don't last very long... :cool:
But there are American firms such as 3M in Mainland China producing the N95 mask. The USA sent 17 tons of medical supplies free of charge to aid China and the communists responded by implementing an export ban to the USA on 3M’s masks.

Interesting to note that Russia, so far, has only reported 20 cases of coronavirus. They took very early steps to protect themselves: closing their eastern border, banning Chinese nationals from entering. Whereas other countries which did not close their borders to Chinese citizens (the countries which love immigration and "multiculturalism" and "diversity enrichment") are reporting ever increasing numbers. Of European countries Italy has been particularly affected and the whole country is now in lockdown (and of course they recently changed Government again, ousting the nationalist Salvini). There is a lesson here.

Last edited:
Interesting to note that Russia, so far, has only reported 20 cases of coronavirus. They took very early steps to protect themselves: closing their eastern border, banning Chinese nationals from entering. Whereas other countries which did not close their borders to Chinese citizens (the countries which love immigration and "multiculturalism" and "diversity enrichment") are reporting ever increasing numbers. Of European countries Italy has been particularly affected and the whole country is now in lockdown (and of course they recently changed Government again, ousting the nationalist Salvini). There is a lesson here.
South Korea left borders open, to the chagrin of its citizens, not out of any great love for milticulturalism (though that sentiment is, unfortunately, being spoonfed to schoolchildren), but because South Korea has close economic ties to China. And any perceived slight to China will be met with swift retribution from the Middle Kingdom.

And that is what US Pres Trump did: PAX flight from China were banned weeks ago. Only freighter flights from China are allowed into the USA. EU numbers have been 10x the US numbers for several weeks.

I get asked about hand sanitizer at work 10 times a day. The store received several emails from corporate about this virus, one being from legal that we are not allowed to give out recipes for homemade sanitizer (I read that after 20 minutes ago giving a lady the recipe). We are out of rubbing alcohol and spray disinfectant. There are now more stricter corporate guidelines for store cleanliness, more than usual.

All, I just deleted a couple of posts— please remember guidelines to post from known reliable news sources and avoid panic-inducing types of forecasts that are not at all any more certain than anyone else’s. We are short in moderation so holding the line re: Covid-19 speculation will be appreciated. Please do feel free to post on what you are actually observing in your area or hearing from established and respected news sources. Thanks.

The Osterholm video was deleted?

"Dr. Michael Osterholm is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. He is also a member of the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) and the Council of Foreign Relations. In June 2005 Dr. Osterholm was appointed by Michael Leavitt, Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), to the newly established National Science Advisory Board on Biosecurity. In July 2008, he was named to the University of Minnesota Academic Health Center’s Academy of Excellence in Health Research. In October 2008, he was appointed to the World Economic Forum Working Group on Pandemics."

https://directory.sph.umn.edu/bio/sph-a-z/michael-osterholm

The Osterholm video was deleted?

"Dr. Michael Osterholm is Regents Professor, McKnight Presidential Endowed Chair in Public Health, the director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy (CIDRAP), Distinguished Teaching Professor in the Division of Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, a professor in the Technological Leadership Institute, College of Science and Engineering, and an adjunct professor in the Medical School, all at the University of Minnesota. He is also a member of the National Academy of Medicine (NAM) and the Council of Foreign Relations. In June 2005 Dr. Osterholm was appointed by Michael Leavitt, Secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), to the newly established National Science Advisory Board on Biosecurity. In July 2008, he was named to the University of Minnesota Academic Health Center’s Academy of Excellence in Health Research. In October 2008, he was appointed to the World Economic Forum Working Group on Pandemics."

https://directory.sph.umn.edu/bio/sph-a-z/michael-osterholm
I read that and other things on his credentials. If he is interviewed by a well-respected news source, rather than an entertainment venue, then that video or interview can be posted here. If he is well-respected in his field, surely we’ll see such an interview with him pop up.

330 patients die from TB every DAY in my country...
58 people get murdered every DAY in my country...
...some food for thought.

Folks, stop countering or questioning thread moderation. Moderators are not acting on whim or from any perspective bias, but have discussed this particular subject and how it should be addressed here numerous times. Thread paused.

Thread reopened. Moderators remain concerned about over hype and panic about this virus so will continue to delete what strikes us as too panic or conspiracy-esque driven and any complaining about moderating this subject. But we do want to have an outlet for sharing useful information to the PB community. This virus is going to spread and it will come down to how well countries like the US manage that as to how bad the number of cases is. And while it is highly likely the fatality rate is below 1 percent, that number doesn't matter for the ones that get captured in that risk range. Here is a post by a friend to Facebook I thought was helpful, posted with video.

If you are following the new flu virus this is probably the best information you can watch.
South Korea's numbers put the lethality/mortality rate at .6%.
This seems to be because they have tested more people than any other nation.
Considering the included findings that 20% of those contracting the disease are asymptomatic and are driving community acquired cases, that would mean that little can be done to stop its spread, except widespread quarantine and social distancing.
Check Dr Inglesby especially around 10:20-13:50 in the video. 4 days after the presentation the closure of schools and large group gatherings has begun... The whole presentation is very much worth watching.
And, the 20% asymptomatic would also mean that the Korea statistic of .6% lethality is likely to go even lower.
However, since it is a new virus and is so contagious, a good number of vulnerable people with either compromised immune systems, preexisting health conditions, or the "wrong" genetics will be at great risk.
Remember to pray for your health care providers and health care providers across the world.​

Two cases in Detroit, Michigan. Possibly one in Holland, 30 minutes from me. Toilet paper shortage has ensued. That means Michiganders are not managing well.

We are discussing how to keep our congregation safe in a non-panicky but reasonable and loving fashion. Main concern for elderly. Christ controls everything from viruses to the stock market.

Two cases in Detroit, Michigan. Possibly one in Holland, 30 minutes from me. Toilet paper shortage has ensued. That means Michiganders are not managing well.

We are discussing how to keep our congregation safe in a non-panicky but reasonable and loving fashion. Main concern for elderly. Christ controls everything from viruses to the stock market.
Fellow Michigander here. I had not heard about a possible case in Holland yet, but I am closer to Flint. I can confirm that TP and soap are quickly becoming commodities unavailable on store shelves. All the stores in my town are sold out. :banghead: As a family of 6, I am glad we tend keep a small stockpile on hand; I am sure this ruckus will calm down and products will come back in stock soon enough.

Praying our communities stay calm, trust the Lord, and wash their hands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back