Some New Books for Bookslover

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
They are:

"The Soul of Life": The Piety of John Calvin, introduced and edited by Joel R. Beeke (Grand Rapids: Reformation Heritage Books, 2009), 220 pages. Topically arranged selections from various of Calvin's writings.

Such a Great Salvation: The Collected Essays of Alan Stibbe, edited by Andrew Atherstone (Fearn: Mentor, 2008), 316 pages. A collection of 18 previously published essays by the Anglican missionary, preacher, and theologian (1901-1971), including his seminal piece, "The Meaning of the Word 'Blood' in Scripture" (1948).

Psalms: Volume 1: Psalms 1-41 by John Goldingay (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2006), 639 pages. A technical commentary on those psalms.

Psalms: Volume 2: Psalms 42-89 by John Goldingay (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2007), 744 pages. A technical commentary on those psalms.

Psalms: Volume 3: Psalms 90-150 by John Goldingay (Grand Rapids: Baker Academic, 2008), 812 pages. A technical commentary on those psalms.

Institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin; translated from the 4th Latin edition of 1559 by Henry Beveridge; reprint (Peabody: Hendrickson Publishers, Inc., 2008 [originally published in 1845]), 1,059 pages. The deluxe edition, complete with color dustjacket, a full-color 8-page insert entitled "Calvin and His Times," and two ribbon markers!

I had exactly $200 to spend, and my total tab, including tax, was $199.77! I returned home with 23 cents!

Books bought at Evangelical Book and Bible in San Diego - the finest Christian bookstore in California, in my not-so-humble opinion. Founded in 1971 by John Cully, who still owns and operates the store - and who turns 80 on September 6th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back