"Solo Confession"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard:

Thanks for reposting Rich's post.

I disagree with you, however. Yes, I understand the idea you're conveying, how we do not have that central authority stucture that the RCC had before the Reformation, and how this lack has allowed fragmentation within the churches and denominations. But this is because the Reformed churches recognize also the authority and responsibility of the individual in matters of doctrine.

The entire denomination may be embroiled in some doctrine or practice which is not wholly Biblical, or even be on the road to apostasy. In this case the individual bears responsibility to himself not to follow, even if the authority in the denomination compels him to. The individual denominations are not infallible either.

It is from this that we have derived the Western sense of demoncracy: the individual's responsibility to conform to the truth as revealed by God both in general revelation and in special revelation.

The Confessions do reflect the doctrines of the Word, but their scope is temporal. That is, men have formulated these statements within the context of their limitedness, their finite nature. This is in contrast with the unlimited and infinite wisdom of the Word of God. The Confessions are an ecclesiastical covenant that defines the historic development of coming to understand the Word of God; and in that way is binding upon all who submit to that covenant. The terms of the covenant are such that it keeps all those who sign on within the historic and Biblical creeds of the Church.

What we are seeing, and what I think Anne is pointing to, is that some have still found a way to make the doctrines of the Word of God subjective and personal instead of objective and universal. The Confessions do not represent that kind of loose covenant; it does not represent a kind of Christianity within Christianity as a whole, but represents what Christianity as a whole believes.

We all have an office to fulfill in that respect. We are all called to stand fast, even if the churches around us are falling from this high doctrinal standard. The churches' authority structure does not trump the individual's responsibility, but rather calls him to it. The churches have no right remove what the Word imposes, or to impose what the Word does not impose; and when they breach that wall, then the individual must stand in defence against it. And yet the individual may not use his position to undermine the legitimate authority of the Church.

The two, the corporate and the individual responsibilities, are never at odds, really. When they do appear to be at odds, then that is an indication to us that we are not understanding some element as we could or should. This lack can be in the corporate or individual level, but usual is in the individual level. But a group of individuals can grow into a larger group, and eventually into a majority. Or it could be a minority who are very influential or persuasive, or even politically advantaged by savvy lobbying. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again. But in the same way, orthodoxy is not merely a corporate necessity, but also an individual necessity.

The Reformed Confessional system recognizes both, and calls us to both. I don't think that a central authority stucture is the answer, for we all know the weakness of men. The great democratic systems of government are based upon this "balance of power", as they call it. It isn't a balance so much as it is a recognition of the limitedness of men and the sovereignty of God.

A thought spurred by some of the comments...

Something that has also been nagging at me is how there are actually separate questions regarding the FV and the PCA, yet they are tending to be smushed together.

It seems to me the first question to be dealt with by the PCA should be: Is that which TE Wilkins (not to pick on him, only AAPC is rather on the front burner, so to speak) has been teaching "new" or not, setting aside whether or not it is correct or at least allowable? Is it the same as the PCA has traditionally taught? Does it align with the PCA's interpretation of the WCF?

A point I'm not certain is being given the weight it deserves is that unless it's Joel Osteen's or another individual's church, the pastor or TE does not own his pulpit. Even at Christ Chapel the senior pastor once stressed that he doesn't get to preach any ol' doctrine he wants to...he is bound by the church's charter, and the group who "interprets" that is the elder board. I've yet to attend a Bible study where the man teaching it didn't take pains to assure the class that his lesson plan had been submitted ahead of time to the elder board for review and approval. (Which, BTW, leads to an intriguing question...what about the elder board at AAPC? Were they doing their job? If one of the pastors at Christ Chapel had taken it upon himself to preach as TE Wilkins has, he'd have quickly received a message from the elder board, requesting a moment of his time.)

Very possibly my understanding of Presbyterian ecclesiology is faulty, but it appears to me that Christ Chapel, an independent, nondenominational Bible church, is in some respects more "Presbyterian" on a practical level than some Presbyterian churches.

I'm reminded of back in the mid-70's, I'm thinking it was, when the first female "priest" was "ordained" in the ECUSA by a rogue bishop, who didn't give a rap what his denomination's rules and tradition was....he was satisfied in his own mind that refusing to ordain women was unscriptural, so by golly, he was gonna ordain one. So he did. And in what has to have been one of the greatest ecclesiastical blunders of the last century, after huffing and puffing and lots of smoke and ash, the ECUSA said the woman's ordination was "illicit but valid."

"Illicit but valid." There's a concept for you. As may be imagined, the maverick bishop's receiving a lot of frowny faces and finger shakings and cries of "Shame on you!" did absolutely nothing to dissuade others from realizing the ECUSA's PowersThat-Be were essentially toothless tigers. It didn't take long before the new, albeit illicit, teaching of "Why, sure women can be priests!" had taken over the ECUSA and become legitimate.

Make no mistake, whether it's a bishop ordaining someone who ought not be ordained, or a pastor teaching a new variant of an established doctrine, rogue elements in denominations lead to disorder and chaos. This is why I say it's immaterial at this point whether the FV is correct or not...if its correct but NEW, it should have never been taught before being approved by the PCA's ruling authorities. The PCA's SJC could be full to the brim with FV supporters and they should still discipline TE Wilkins for going off on his own as he has.

Hauling in new doctrine should not be judged according to the principle of Monday morning quarterbacking. It should get the denomination's seal of approval prior to being preached, not preached first and defended afterward. I truly hope the PCA (and the other Reformed denominations) first step back and look at the big picture question of "Do Reformed pastors own their pulpits?", in lieu of focusing solely on whether or not the FV is correct.

Not that the latter question isn't to be decided, of course. Just that there's an overriding principle in play which, if ignored as the ECUSA did when it was their turn, will come back to haunt the PCA.

Not that I would in any way, shape, or form disagree with that, mind, but I'd be a bit at a loss as to what the point of the WCF is, then. If it can be essentially overridden by anyone who insists their way of interpreting either the Confession or Scripture itself is more accurate than the Confession, doesn't that rather kick the legs out from under the main reason for a "confessional" denomination's existence?

It regularly would. This is why the Scottish ambassadors would not even allow the discussions to take place until.........what?

Until the Solemn League and Covenant was signed and accepted by the assembly.

At that point, you had theologians and pastors vowing to uphold the biblical truth contained in the document. If it was not biblical, they didn't put it in. But they were now attached to it by vow in order to "uphold" the truth as it was seen "in the best Reformed churches."

So the Westminster Standards are not, in and of themselves, inspired or given from heaven, but they are an external witness to the truth of the Gospel and its theological and practical appendages.

This is where the argument for Confessional Subscriptionism come into play. Either one is subscribing, or they are not.

One is lip service with convenient changes. The other upholds the Confession and the intent behind it.

Richard:

Thanks for reposting Rich's post.

I disagree with you, however. Yes, I understand the idea you're conveying, how we do not have that central authority stucture that the RCC had before the Reformation, and how this lack has allowed fragmentation within the churches and denominations. But this is because the Reformed churches recognize also the authority and responsibility of the individual in matters of doctrine.

The entire denomination may be embroiled in some doctrine or practice which is not wholly Biblical, or even be on the road to apostasy. In this case the individual bears responsibility to himself not to follow, even if the authority in the denomination compels him to. The individual denominations are not infallible either.

It is from this that we have derived the Western sense of demoncracy: the individual's responsibility to conform to the truth as revealed by God both in general revelation and in special revelation.

The Confessions do reflect the doctrines of the Word, but their scope is temporal. That is, men have formulated these statements within the context of their limitedness, their finite nature. This is in contrast with the unlimited and infinite wisdom of the Word of God. The Confessions are an ecclesiastical covenant that defines the historic development of coming to understand the Word of God; and in that way is binding upon all who submit to that covenant. The terms of the covenant are such that it keeps all those who sign on within the historic and Biblical creeds of the Church.

What we are seeing, and what I think Anne is pointing to, is that some have still found a way to make the doctrines of the Word of God subjective and personal instead of objective and universal. The Confessions do not represent that kind of loose covenant; it does not represent a kind of Christianity within Christianity as a whole, but represents what Christianity as a whole believes.

We all have an office to fulfill in that respect. We are all called to stand fast, even if the churches around us are falling from this high doctrinal standard. The churches' authority structure does not trump the individual's responsibility, but rather calls him to it. The churches have no right remove what the Word imposes, or to impose what the Word does not impose; and when they breach that wall, then the individual must stand in defence against it. And yet the individual may not use his position to undermine the legitimate authority of the Church.

The two, the corporate and the individual responsibilities, are never at odds, really. When they do appear to be at odds, then that is an indication to us that we are not understanding some element as we could or should. This lack can be in the corporate or individual level, but usual is in the individual level. But a group of individuals can grow into a larger group, and eventually into a majority. Or it could be a minority who are very influential or persuasive, or even politically advantaged by savvy lobbying. We've seen it before, and we'll see it again. But in the same way, orthodoxy is not merely a corporate necessity, but also an individual necessity.

The Reformed Confessional system recognizes both, and calls us to both. I don't think that a central authority stucture is the answer, for we all know the weakness of men. The great democratic systems of government are based upon this "balance of power", as they call it. It isn't a balance so much as it is a recognition of the limitedness of men and the sovereignty of God.

I should clarify a little by saying that I'm not advocating some kind of central authority for the Reformed world (must less all of conservative Protestantism) - sotto voce: unless I'm in charge, of course [heh, heh] - I was merely trying to point out why we seem to be so theologically and ecclesiologically fractured, as opposed to Rome (or at least the way Rome used to be). (Gryphonette's comment about Rome's "leaders" coming up with such bogus doctrines as the assumption of Mary is well taken.)

I just get nervous whenever I sense that someone is putting a little too much faith in man-made secondary standards and not in the Bible, since the Bible is both infallible and inerrant (in the autographs) and all secondary standards are, in principle, both errant and fallible.

I just get nervous whenever I sense that someone is putting a little too much faith in man-made secondary standards and not in the Bible, since the Bible is both infallible and inerrant (in the autographs) and all secondary standards are, in principle, both errant and fallible.

I'm not sure I know what this means. My point is that the Confessions serve as a common confession of the Church saying: "This is what we believe the Scriptures say...." If one sees the Confessions in this light then there is little danger that one is going to look away from the Scriptures. It's rather like arguing that we're nervous about a Pastor preaching and teaching the Word of God because he's errant and fallible but the Scriptures are infallible and inerrant. Why not just give the Bible to each person on Sunday tell them the verses to read and instruct them to interpret it for themselves?

Oh, that's right, the minds of the congregants are fallible and errant too. If left to their own then "...everyone will do what is right in their own eyes...." The minister who departs from a Church confession based on his interpretation of Scripture that differs is doing no less. The difference is in the degree of sophistication but not the autonomous drive that underlies it.

Yet again, the idea here is not that the Confessions are un-Reformable but the movement has to be more than a few people departing. Work to move the denomination. A GA may not be the entire Reformed Church but it's superior to a few impatient schismatics. I simply don't believe the excuse that "...well we don't have a central Christian authority to make such changes..." is a warrant for confessional deviation at an individual level that allows a minister to begin teaching contrary doctrine within that Reformed body. He has MADE AN OATH to subscribe to a Confession and has not announced that he is departing from it. What's the big deal that Saul killed the Gibeonites anyway?

Well, I've seen both sides of it. I've seen what Richard is talking about. The Confessions become as infallible as the Bible, and in fact replaces the Bible. I've talked to some to whom you could quote to Bible to until the cows come home, and it makes no difference to them. But quote the church's standards, and all of a sudden you make in impact on them. That has actually happened.

I think that the Bible can be made to become subjective either way; it is up to the person to make of it what he thinks best without anyone or anything holding him to account. This can be done by either regarding the Confessions as one of several interpretations, or by regarding the Confessions as infallible. Either way it is stripped of the original intention of being a covenantal document for the churches to bind them to the historical Church.

I'm not so sure that Anne has conveyed the Presbyterian system all that well in her first post. I was addressing her concern, which I think is a proper concern. I think that the best way to convey what the Confessions mean is to relate it to the Apostles' Creed article about the "one holy and catholic church", that we are tied to the same confession which all the Church has made from the time of the Apostles until the present, that we are unified in our submission to the Word of God and the witness of the Spirit. It also recognizes the special place that Christ gave the Church when He granted His offices of authority to the duly ordained leaders of the Church. It's like a contract, a covenant, a testimony, of each generation's submission to the same teachings which holds us to account in the present. We are one with the Church of all ages, bound by a written covenant. It is the covenant we have made with each other to remain faithful to the Word, going as far back as these covenants go.

I'm not so sure that Anne has conveyed the Presbyterian system all that well in her first post. I was addressing her concern, which I think is a proper concern.

I apologize if I've made a muddle of Presbyterianism. It's why I do keep reminding everyone I am not now, nor have I ever been, Presbyterian.

Though I've lots of Presbyterian friends. ;^)

It's like a contract, a covenant, a testimony, of each generation's submission to the same teachings which holds us to account in the present. We are one with the Church of all ages, bound by a written covenant. It is the covenant we have made with each other to remain faithful to the Word, going as far back as these covenants go.

Oh, I do like the way you put this!
nodder.gif

And John, something I've quite likely not made clear - my fault, not a doubt about it - is that my remarks have been primarily geared toward those teaching from the pulpit in a denomination, not what they believe as private individuals. I'm also a member of the Warfield list and someone on there, If I recall correctly, is an elder in the PCA who privately holds to paedocommunion but keeps it, well, private. Quite properly he doesn't promote paedocommunion at his church because the PCA doesn't approve of paedocommunion.

He's publicly submitting to his denomination in an area in which he privately disagrees, and I say good for him. May his tribe increase.
thumbs.gif

I wasn't so concerned about the way you worded it, Anne. I think I understood your concern. That is my concern as well. I've been riding that concern for quite a while. The pulpit is not a soapbox, and the place in front of Christ's congregation is not a forum to propagate personal convictions that go beyond the covenanted limits.

I can respect that elder for his integrity in his office. I can disagree with him personally, and yet respect him as an elder. If he saw his ordination as a licence to establish his own views, then I would see that as an undermining of the office. But he is one who obviously knows the difference. May there be more like him, only fewer of them who are convinced of paedo-communion.

It's never too late, Anne, never too late...

When you get to Heaven, you'll notice that the Presbyterians are the tall, good-looking individuals...

Tall? Uh oh . . . :pray2:

Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?

I am good-looking by the way . . . that's right, my wife says so. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back