Sola Scriptura and the OT

Status
Not open for further replies.

C130Pilot

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been conversing with a Roman Catholic concerning SS. He asserts SS is a made-up concept and the OT is full of 'tradition'. I see the bottom line as being:

Israel did not have a 'inerrant' leader/council (as in Rome claims), so the comparison is invalid. i.e. no where are we pointed to OT tradition as being on the same plane as Scripture.

Is that the bottom line? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Andy

I've been conversing with a Roman Catholic concerning SS. He asserts SS is a made-up concept and the OT is full of 'tradition'. I see the bottom line as being:

Israel did not have a 'inerrant' leader/council (as in Rome claims), so the comparison is invalid. i.e. no where are we pointed to OT tradition as being on the same plane as Scripture.

Thanks
Andy

Apparently the Pharisees believed that there was both a written and oral tradition given to Moses on Sinai. The written tradition was preserved in the Scriptures while the oral tradition has been maintained by Israel and passed down by Rabbis.

Funny thing is, it's this "oral tradition" that Jesus criticized as he continually pointed the Pharisees back to what is written.

"He said to them, 'All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition.'" (Mark 7:9)

Your interlocutor is begging the question, in favor of his claim. He claims in advance that he has this guarantor of accuracy in the "church" and in the "person" he so regards as infallible a priori. Which is entirely the doubtful (from the Protestant side) assertion. Noting the lack of such an "office" in OT times, thus claiming asymmetry, assumes the very point of debate.

In the days of the OT, the OT itself tells us that the priests were the teachers of the Law/OT, together with the prophets who proclaimed and (after the pattern of Moses, the proto-prophet) wrote down the Lord's Word as directed.

Jesus pointed not just the scribes and other teachers of the Law to that which was written, but by them the whole people were confined to that Holy Scripture. Picking and choosing from the OT was not allowed, as if some of it was merely "tradition." Rome's real claim is that Herself as "the" church perpetuates the inspired role of prophets and apostles who gave fresh revelations; ignoring that the OT people were to judge the prophets, whether they spoke in accord with previous revelation.

Rome fails this acid-test. Their extra-biblical commandments and doctrines have all the flavor of the Pharisees', which Jesus roundly condemned. Rome does not get to begin (except in her own mind) with her claim that she (or the pope) is now above all such assessments by the hoi polloi, which position she then uses to shut down the Berean approach once praised by the apostles.

There are traditions in the OT. Nothing new there. Not all traditions are the same. Reformed have been pointing out that Scripture is the norm that norms lesser norms. Lesser norms, though, are still norms of a sort.

Thanks
Andy
Tradition in the way ised bu the various authors of the Bible refers to the established revelation of God being used and referencedand applied over again, not in man made teachings.

Thanks
Andy

Andy, welcome to the PB. When you get a moment will you please complete your signature? Follow the instructions here: https://www.puritanboard.com/help/signature/

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back