SNES and Megadrive players?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must admit, I didn't expect to see a thread like this when I first joined PB. I'm not necessarily opposed to it, though ;)

Even though I'm not middle aged, I got the SNES a couple of years ago because I was watching people like Angry Video Game Nerd (I wouldn't watch him now) and got into retro gaming. None of the games I have were popular, though. They just came with the console when my father purchased it on eBay. I have Clue, Monopoly, Battleship, and a game I've never heard of called "Warlock." I think it's based on a movie, but the game itself is bad. It's hard, to the point that it wasn't fun to play it after dying on the first level a dozen times.

Brother and I got an Atari 2600 for Christmas '82. Later our family had a Sega Genesis. I didn't play a whole lot but some. Trying to remember some games.

I was more of a Commodore 64 guy (cartridges, disks and yes even tapes) and then migrated to PC later. Ultima series, Might and Magic and so on.

Edit: Phantasy Star was a game I liked.

Last edited:
I completed Streets of Rage 2 in-between reading Theodore Beza. At this point, I am beginning to question the Reformed orthodoxy of anyone who does not enjoy retro video games. ;)

I completed Streets of Rage 2 in-between reading Theodore Beza. At this point, I am beginning to question the Reformed orthodoxy of anyone who does not enjoy retro video games. ;)
As a board do we have a consensus as to where we draw the line on retro gaming? It still doesn't feel that long ago to me (as I fool myself into thinking I'm still young) that the original playstation came out, but 1995 kind of was

As a board do we have a consensus as to where we draw the line on retro gaming? It still doesn't feel that long ago to me (as I fool myself into thinking I'm still young) that the original playstation came out, but 1995 kind of was
I know this won't seem fair, but you have to draw the line somewhere and, well... I think the arbitrary line has got to be at 16-bit consoles. Sorry. :coffee:

Ah well... Good thing I was only asking for a friend... I obviously wouldn't actually know anything about that... :think:

I completed Streets of Rage 3 last night in between reading William Perkins, which further confirms the link between Reformed orthodoxy and retro-video games.

I completed Streets of Rage 3 last night in between reading William Perkins, which further confirms the link between Reformed orthodoxy and retro-video games.
What are you planning on next? I'm starting to try and work my way through the original sonic trilogy again. I specifically not being very good at them back in the day even if I did have lots of fun

What are you planning on next? I'm starting to try and work my way through the original sonic trilogy again. I specifically not being very good at them back in the day even if I did have lots of fun

I completed Sonic 1 recently but was generally never that good at the Sonic games despite enjoying them. It is almost as if they are too fast for me. I may try and play more SNES games next. I tried playing Desert Strike a couple of nights ago, but it is a little above my pay grade.

I completed Sonic 1 recently but was generally never that good at the Sonic games despite enjoying them. It is almost as if they are too fast for me. I may try and play more SNES games next. I tried playing Desert Strike a couple of nights ago, but it is a little above my pay grade.
Sonic 3 and knuckles is the best one if trying to get the full experience. A newer one called sonic mania is also very good. It is made to be like the old ones but with better animations.

I have tried playing Brian Lara's Cricket on the Megadrive, but have not gotten very far. In a match between England and the Netherlands (not a very famous cricketing nation), I managed to get bowled out for a measly eleven runs. However, in F1 World Championship, I am having more success. I even managed to win a race and below is the empirical proof of my triumph!

F1 World Championship.jpg

I only got one positive reaction to mark such an achievement. :whatswrong:
I'd love to cheer you on, Daniel, but I have no idea what kind of accomplishment it is. I thought of myself as middle-aged, but I guess I'm not.

Pong and Asteroids are the last games I recall playing. I remember one night with my sister at a beer joint playing a game like Space Invaders but it had a big red button for the "Smart Bomb." You got three chances at it unless you got more points. We couldn't stop laughing at the chaos and yelling "hit the Smart Bomb!"

But we ran out of quarters.

My boys really enjoy playing video games, so I've been playing them with them the past few years. I've been encouraged to learn that science shows they are really good for the brain in many ways if used properly. I'm 33, so I was the SNES and Genesis generation. Very nostalgic for me. We've beat some of the older games on the classic systems, but we couldn't have beat them without the modern save abilities we have now. Mario, Kirby, and Sonic games are my favorite. Super Mario World for the SNES is probably my all-time favorite. It's neat to see you guys enjoying some innocent nostalgic fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back