Sir Thomas Browne and Alexander Whyte free on Amazon Kindle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for highlighting that, Jimmy. If someone uses a Kindle at all, they should get Sir Thomas Browne and treat themselves to the most gorgeous prose English has to offer.

Here are three gems to whet the appetite:

Christian Morals
Strive not to run like Hercules a furlong in a breath: Festination may prove Precipititation: Deliberating delay may be wise cunctation, and slowness no sloathfulness.
Forget not how assuefaction unto any thing minorates the passion from it, how constant Objects loose their hints, and steal an inadvertisement upon us.

Religio Medici
...for unspeakable mysteries in the Scriptures are often delivered in a vulgar and illustrative way, and being written unto man, are delivered, not as they truely are, but as they may be understood; wherein notwithstanding the different interpretations according to different capacities may stand firme with our devotion, nor bee any way prejudiciall to each single edification.

Pseudodoxia Epidemica
For [God] alone can truly determine these, and all things else; Who as he hath proposed the World unto our disputation, so hath he reserved many things unto his own resolution; whose determination we cannot hope from flesh, but must with reverence suspend unto that great Day, whose justice shall either condemn our curiosities, or resolve our disquisitions.

Browne and Whyte -- very colourful!

From a true blue perspective, beware the latitudinarianism of both authors.

Thanks for highlighting that, Jimmy. If someone uses a Kindle at all, they should get Sir Thomas Browne and treat themselves to the most gorgeous prose English has to offer.

Here are three gems to whet the appetite:

Christian Morals
Strive not to run like Hercules a furlong in a breath: Festination may prove Precipititation: Deliberating delay may be wise cunctation, and slowness no sloathfulness.
Forget not how assuefaction unto any thing minorates the passion from it, how constant Objects loose their hints, and steal an inadvertisement upon us.

Religio Medici
...for unspeakable mysteries in the Scriptures are often delivered in a vulgar and illustrative way, and being written unto man, are delivered, not as they truely are, but as they may be understood; wherein notwithstanding the different interpretations according to different capacities may stand firme with our devotion, nor bee any way prejudiciall to each single edification.

Pseudodoxia Epidemica
For [God] alone can truly determine these, and all things else; Who as he hath proposed the World unto our disputation, so hath he reserved many things unto his own resolution; whose determination we cannot hope from flesh, but must with reverence suspend unto that great Day, whose justice shall either condemn our curiosities, or resolve our disquisitions.
Ruben, it was reading Sir Thomas Browne's quote in your signature, and Alexander Whyte's appreciation of him, that led me to become interested in reading him. I only wish I knew Latin. He so often interjects Latin phrases in his writing.

Reverend Winzer, I had to look up latitudinarianism. Thank you for the warning. I will be circumspect in reading both authors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back