Single-Sex Gatherings and the Lord's Supper

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammondjones

Puritan Board Junior
When is it permissible to celebrate the Lord's Supper outside of a service of Public Worship?

In particular, what about a particular church's Men's Retreat as compared to its Women's Retreat? If in Public Worship, God is served by His saints unitedly as His covenant people, the Body of Christ, then can neither a Men's nor a Women's retreat can hold a service of Public Worship, since half of the congregation would be excluded (not to mention the children)?

I have known Men's Retreats to celebrate the Lord's Supper when a minister is present. But, assuming no gospel minister went along, I suppose that a particular church's Women's Retreat would never be permitted to celebrate the Lord's Supper. Am I thinking rightly?

I don't think that the Lord's Supper should be contemplated, apart from a duly called worship service; and it should not be in "restricted" circumstances, meaning where men or women or youthful-communicants are not invited. That seems to violate the letter and spirit of 1Cor.11.

Even if a minister is speaking at a women's retreat (or a men's), he shouldn't be administering the sacrament on his own authority and sole representation of the government of the church; unless it happened to fall within the scope of a call he has to be an evangelist (with certain powers delegated to him by the whole presbytery in accordance with the call). The propriety seems quite strained to me.

Is the supporting attitude one that thinks, "Having communion will make this gathering really spiritual"? That's mixing up the purpose of the sacrament.

:2cents:

I believe I have even come to a point where I don't think it good to celebrate the Lord's Supper at a Presbytery meeting or General Assembly because it is not Lord's Day Worship.

The Lord's Supper belongs solely to the public worship, to celebrate it privately or in any other way (such as, by ministers and elders exclusively) is a form of withholding the cup (and bread) from the people.

I agree with the other men that the Lord's Supper belongs in the context of public, corporate worship. The only exception I can think of would be in cases of visiting the sick, elderly, and infirm - those who simply cannot make it to corporate worship at the local church. Even in those cases however, I believe the Lord's Supper should be accompanied by the Word preached. For example, in my previous church we had a dear member who was 100 years old! Due to health constraints, she simply could not get out of her house. So approximately every 6 months we would head over to her residence after morning worship. It would be my pastor, a few elders, and any other families that could make it; usually about 12 of us. Once there we would briefly greet our sister and then we'd sing and pray. Finally our pastor would briefly exhort from Scripture. Then after about 20 mins, we'd partake of the Lord' Supper together. I think this is very biblical.

"I believe I have even come to a point where I don't think it good to celebrate the Lord's Supper at a Presbytery meeting or General Assembly because it is not Lord's Day Worship."

Hi Andrew,
I don't believe the WCF nor the Directory for Public Worship doesn't tell us not to take the supper other than on the Sabbath day.

The Directory does make room for days of thanksgiving:

"Nevertheless, it is lawful and necessary, upon special emergent occasions, to separate a day or days for publick fasting or thanksgiving, as the several eminent and extraordinary dispensations of God’s providence shall administer cause and opportunity to his people."

The other issue I find significant is the idea that the Presbytery is a church; hence, isn't the distribution of the sacraments a mark? This has been a sticking point for me to a degree in regard to Presbytery and GA. The gospel is preached, the sacrament of the Lord's supper is distributed, if discipline needed to be administered, it would be. Baptism is concerning.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back