Singing Soloist

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few things that come to mind:

1. Ruben asks "How can Leah get out of insistent requests to sing a solo without giving any needless aggravation or appearing to rebuke others?" Perhaps I'm revealing a lack of faith here. (And I am praying for Leah and this situation.) But based on what has been posted, (and I thought this even prior to reading Leah's update of today's developments,) I'd be very surprised if there was any way to say no to singing without causing aggravation or appearing to rebuke others. Those who are more "traditional minded" (meaning they do church the way they do b/c that's how it's always been done, how mama and daddy did it, etc.) will often take dissent and disagreement, however respectful, as a personal rebuke. "What, we're not good enough for her anymore?" etc. Or else it might be seen as some kind of spiritual problem.

2. Let everyone be convinced in his/her own mind, but I would see it at least somewhat encouraging that someone asked Leah to sing "In Christ Alone." Some Semi-Pelagian Baptists would recoil at a song by artists who are coming from a basically Calvinistic perspective (although many are probably not aware of that.) At least it's a Christian song. "Jesus Take the Wheel" isn't. "God Bless America" which is often sung on July 4th, isn't a Christian song. Ironically, some are now blaming "contemporary songs" that kids learn via campus ministries or whatever for playing a big role in the "Reformed" resurgence among young people in the SBC as well as among some IFB's. I find that very interesting because less than 10 years ago I equated contemporary worship with Arminianism, Purpose Drivenism and Charismaticism. But it seems that there are more theologically rich songs now.

3. Silence (and perhaps even equivocation) in these matters is often taken as consent. That's not to say that one should boldly make a stand when one is not fully convinced. But being convinced something is wrong and being pressured into it anyway is a different matter. (Some of us are of such a temperament that it's difficult to make a stand, especially one that doesn't involve a complete denial of the faith, when it seems everyone is against you.) It will signal that the one being pressured has come around to their way of thinking. (And this would be the same way with EP pro and con or any other similar disagreement over worship.) It's certainly a difficult situation when you're battling your family as well as the church. If this is the church that Leah grew up in, the folks are, from their point of view, simply trying to encourage her and do not understand the reason for the objection.

4. In this situation I would think the following is a hypothetical. (I can't remember Leah's particular situation, but I'm assuming that moving out is not an option at this point, short of marriage or going off to school.) But I would like the board's opinion about what point would the 5th Commandment come into play? In particular, just how far must an individual who has reached the age of majority yet remains in the home go in these matters in order to honor her parents? I would think that everyone would agree that a young person in such a situation who has been converted shouldn't attend Mass and shouldn't partake in it even if her parents said so. But what about a liberal church like the PCUSA where the gospel isn't preached and Christ is essentially mocked? Should one continue to attend there and even take some part in the ministry there? This is a more difficult situation because the church formally affirms the basics of Christian orthodoxy and it is a dispute between professing believers. (I'm not a fan of him generally, but Gary North was right when he wrote that Baptists by and large became Arminian instead of apostasizing from the faith, as have many Presbyterians, unfortunately.)

Last edited:
Dear little sister, you've been given a hard time, but as Ruben says you seem to have handled it very graciously! Of course many of these people may really believe you just want to be persuaded.
But the music director oughtn't to have said what he did.
The psalm says if I forget thee, O Jerusalem, may my right hand forget her cunning. If you got up and sang when your conscience said no, that's what would be forgetting Jerusalem - not what he said, or implied.
Praying for you, like everyone else here :)

God gives many gifts, but that doesn't mean that each is meant for use in the public worship of God. Your music minister is attempting to burden you with a completely unbiblical command. Please do not be pressured into violating your conscience.
I would be totally ashamed of myself if I were that music "minister." The ghost of Charles Finney still walks. I will pray for you, Leah.

:ditto:

Here are a few things that come to mind:

1. Ruben asks "How can Leah get out of insistent requests to sing a solo without giving any needless aggravation or appearing to rebuke others?" Perhaps I'm revealing a lack of faith here. (And I am praying for Leah and this situation.) But based on what has been posted, (and I thought this even prior to reading Leah's update of today's developments,) I'd be very surprised if there was any way to say no to singing without causing aggravation or appearing to rebuke others. Those who are more "traditional minded" (meaning they do church the way they do b/c that's how it's always been done, how mama and daddy did it, etc.) will often take dissent and disagreement, however respectful, as a personal rebuke. "What, we're not good enough for her anymore?" etc. Or else it might be seen as some kind of spiritual problem.

2. Let everyone be convinced in his/her own mind, but I would see it at least somewhat encouraging that someone asked Leah to sing "In Christ Alone." Some Semi-Pelagian Baptists would recoil at a song by artists who are coming from a basically Calvinistic perspective (although many are probably not aware of that.) At least it's a Christian song. "Jesus Take the Wheel" isn't. "God Bless America" which is often sung on July 4th, isn't a Christian song. Ironically, some are now blaming "contemporary songs" that kids learn via campus ministries or whatever for playing a big role in the "Reformed" resurgence among young people in the SBC as well as among some IFB's. I find that very interesting because less than 10 years ago I equated contemporary worship with Arminianism, Purpose Drivenism and Charismaticism. But it seems that there are more theologically rich songs now.

3. Silence (and perhaps even equivocation) in these matters is often taken as consent. That's not to say that one should boldly make a stand when one is not fully convinced. But being convinced something is wrong and being pressured into it anyway is a different matter. (Some of us are of such a temperament that it's difficult to make a stand, especially one that doesn't involve a complete denial of the faith, when it seems everyone is against you.) It will signal that the one being pressured has come around to their way of thinking. (And this would be the same way with EP pro and con or any other similar disagreement over worship.) It's certainly a difficult situation when you're battling your family as well as the church. If this is the church that Leah grew up in, the folks are, from their point of view, simply trying to encourage her and do not understand the reason for the objection.

4. In this situation I would think the following is a hypothetical. (I can't remember Leah's particular situation, but I'm assuming that moving out is not an option at this point, short of marriage or going off to school.) But I would like the board's opinion about what point would the 5th Commandment come into play? In particular, just how far must an individual who has reached the age of majority yet remains in the home go in these matters in order to honor her parents? I would think that everyone would agree that a young person in such a situation who has been converted shouldn't attend Mass and shouldn't partake in it even if her parents said so. But what about a liberal church like the PCUSA where the gospel isn't preached and Christ is essentially mocked? Should one continue to attend there and even take some part in the ministry there? This is a more difficult situation because the church formally affirms the basics of Christian orthodoxy and it is a dispute between professing believers. (I'm not a fan of him generally, but Gary North was right when he wrote that Baptists by and large became Arminian instead of apostasizing from the faith, as have many Presbyterians, unfortunately.)

Thanks Chris. :) Actually, you have got a lot right.

This is another shift: I just arrived home from church a few minutes ago and my dad asked how was church, and brother Kirtley's sermon and I told him I've been going to Christ Church (Pastor Greco's church, actually) for a month and a half or so at night. He got really offended and asked what was wrong with our church and what kind of church Christ church is. When I said it was Presbyterian he said going to two different churches can be confusing theologically (I agree) and I asked if he would prefer for me to just go to ONE. He said yes.

That being said he didn't specify WHICH church and up until this point I have not had a reason to stop going to church with them without causing a huge theological debate. That being said... I don't think I will need to worry about singing solos at their church since now I have no reason to continue going to church with them.

As for point number 4... that is something I would like to know too. Since being pressed, I will be consistent and go to one church, however, I don't see any reason to go THEIR church.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

God gives many gifts, but that doesn't mean that each is meant for use in the public worship of God. Your music minister is attempting to burden you with a completely unbiblical command. Please do not be pressured into violating your conscience.
I would be totally ashamed of myself if I were that music "minister." The ghost of Charles Finney still walks. I will pray for you, Leah.

:ditto:

Thanks all three of you. :) I felt the pressure and guilt thing and definitely understood that's what they were doing... Thank you for the prayers everyone.

Ruben, indeed. The Lord was very good in giving me the grace to answer kindly but not relent.

All right, Leah! I'm sure it will be very good for you to be in Pastor Greco's church for both services each Sunday.

When I was struggling with all these things I simply told people the truth. I don't want to sing because....

Just an aside here, but I don't think there is anything wrong with very kindly telling people where you are in your walk with the Lord, and telling them how you feel. I remember several years ago, I asked a very talented young man to play the keyboard with the worship team, and he told me point blank, and very kindly, too, that he was working through his views on worshipping without instruments and until he came to a conclusion on the matter, he felt it was best for his conscience sake to not play. I really appreciated that.

I'm definitely not an authority on this, but I agree with this friend. There's nothing wrong with sweetly, respectfully, but matter-of-factly declining to sing and explaning why in some sort of succinct way.

Leah,

Shame on that music director for putting that kind of pressure on you! I do believe that when God has gifted someone, He does expect that person to use it, but under His direction, not the direction of others. I see an willingness on your part to do what God wants you to do, and He will show you the place where your talent is needed.

He gets very serious and concerned and says, Leah, God has given you talent and He will give that talent away to someone else if you don't use it. He will! I Just hope you will realize that before that happens. You need to use the gifts God has given you. If you do not use that talent, it will be taken away from you. I'll be praying for you.

This is a common theme nowadays. Instead of the regulative principle, many churches think that any talent you have should be used in corporate worship. I doubt your music director thinks quite that way, but it is the logical conclusion to that kind of thinking.

Praying for you sister. :hug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back