singing psalms resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

arapahoepark

Puritan Board Professor
I would like to sing Psalms however I need to be guided and can' t read music are their resources or mp3 s to download for my player or put on cds to get the feel?
Thanks!

The Book of Psalms for Worship App if you have an iDevice. It will play the tune for you for easy singing. It is the best $10 I have ever spent. Before I purchased the app I had never sung the Psalms and now I sing them as regularly as I can in my private worship.

The Book of Psalms for Worship App if you have an iDevice. It will play the tune for you for easy singing. It is the best $10 I have ever spent. Before I purchased the app I had never sung the Psalms and now I sing them as regularly as I can in my private worship.

Trent, if you have a device like this, Zach's suggestion sounds like a very helpful way to learn to sing Psalms without the aid of a Psalm-singing congregation.

The above suggestions about the Scottish Metrical Psalter can be very helpful as well, but Zach's seems to have it all in one place.

I would suggest learning to read music some time along the way, however. I think every Christian will benefit from it in public and private worship (when there is a staff to be sung from), and that an entire congregation benefits when just one more of its members works on this, or any part of singing.

If you're not a techie (I'm not, really) I suggest getting a hard copy of a Psalter after you search out which one you want to use primarily. A few benefits from the three most faithful and available Psalters are these:

Psalms of David in Metre (Scottish Metrical Psalter) - Recognized all over the English Speaking world; tried and proven to be a faithful translation; all the Psalms are in Common Meter, and so you don't need to know very many tunes (you can use the same tune for them all, if you wish).

Book of Psalms for Singing - Perhaps the most popular Psalter in the United States (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), so you will find it in many Churches you visit; a faithful translation; you can obtain a list of popular hymn tunes included in it (may be true for the BPW, too); the tunes are already paired with the words, so you don't have to do that work yourself.

Book of Psalms for Worship (basically a revision of the BPS) - Another popular Psalter that you will find in many Churches; the translation is faithful; the most contemporary Psalter in terms of language; the tunes are paired with the words.

Anything for a kindle?
thanks to all bythe way, cant click the thumbs up on the kindle

I would recommend purchasing the hard copy of The Book of Psalms for Worship and use Psalter.org to learn the tunes. It's not as convenient as the app (at the touch of a button it will play the tune for as many stanzas are as in the Psalm...I don't even know if stanza is the correct word that's how musically challenged I am :lol: ) but it will help you to learn tunes without having to read music.

This is rather interesting: Psalm Singers

The supplement mentioned on the website is also available through RHB (just mentioning this for interest's sake; the above website has 178 tunes recorded and ready to be played): The Psalms of David in Metre

arap said:
Anything for a kindle?
I'm not aware of the kindle being able to play tunes? I know it can read books to people, but I wasn't aware it could play music too. If it could and if one could incorporate it into an ebook, that is rather interesting. So far as I know, it also would be difficult to put sheet music on a kindle for the psalms because there is no way to make it "split-leaf", and one would have to capture each sheet music as an image; I'd imagine it would be a bit clumsy to handle. Perhaps the best that could be done would be with sol-fa notation, but that doesn't even help some of the people who do have some musical training! :D

I had thought at one point there was a Scottish psalter app or something, though I don't remember where I saw it or what it did.

And strangely enough, the thumb has been missing from the EP forum for quite some time! It's not just your use of the kindle.

Last edited:
This is rather interesting: Psalm Singers

The supplement mentioned on the website is also available through RHB: The Psalms of David in Metre

arap said:
Anything for a kindle?
I'm not aware of the kindle being able to play tunes? I know it can read books to people, but I wasn't aware it could play music too. If it could and if one could incorporate it into an ebook, that is rather interesting. So far as I know, it also would be difficult to put sheet music on a kindle for the psalms because there is no way to make it "split-leaf", and one would have to capture each sheet music as an image; I'd imagine it would be a bit clumsy to handle. Perhaps the best that could be done would be with sol-fa notation, but that doesn't even help some of the people who do have some musical training! :D

I had thought at one point there was a Scottish psalter app or something, though I don't remember where I saw it or what it did.

And strangely enough, the thumb has been missing from the EP forum for quite some time! It's not just your use of the kindle.

The 1650 App is available on iOS but obviously it won't help learn tunes.

Zach said:
Oh, it doesn't? Oh well. I thought it might have tunes with it (which is why I mentioned it), but I guess not!

Zach said:
Oh, it doesn't? Oh well. I thought it might have tunes with it (which is why I mentioned it), but I guess not!

No, unfortunately not. It would be a great resource if it could. I apologize if my use of obviously came across as rude, brother. Will you be at Ligonier again this year?

Zach said:
No, unfortunately not. It would be a great resource if it could. I apologize if my use of obviously came across as rude, brother. Will you be at Ligonier again this year?
Oh I agree! And all's good, friend.

I don't know if I'll be at Ligonier or not again this time around. The only reason we were there last time was because my dad had a contract with them and they gave us free tickets. He still has a contract with them, but I don't know if we'll get free tickets again! :D I know my dad had planned on checking out another conference this year, so it isn't likely we'll be there this year. I hope you have a good time if you do go again!

Zach said:
Oh I agree! And all's good, friend.

I don't know if I'll be at Ligonier or not again this time around. The only reason we were there last time was because my dad had a contract with them and they gave us free tickets. He still has a contract with them, but I don't know if we'll get free tickets again! :D I know my dad had planned on checking out another conference this year, so it isn't likely we'll be there this year. I hope you have a good time if you do go again!

Well if you're there again we will have to meet up and chat!

Try Pilgrim Covenant Church,Singapore website. They have put the 1650 Scottish Psalter words on,
and suitable tunes in a simplified way so that new Chinese members and visitors can learn.You might find
them a trifle slow,but it is for easier learning. In their services they sing them quicker. They have also as a
church ,translated them into Mandarin for the children to learn in their own tongue,and sent the Chinese version into China.

I have been interested in Psalm singing for a while as well. I use a classical guitar but I only know a few chords. It has been very satisfying in a way I can't explan. If we ever get a home bible study group going I plan to integrate Psalm singing into it.

If you plan to use an instrumet, the autoharp is probably one of the easist to play. All you do is press the chord button and strum. They come in various aizes and prices and are easy to find secondhand.

I'm not aware of the kindle being able to play tunes?

Yes, my Kindle plays music (Menu--Experimental--Play Music). It's not great because you can't navigate through the music, so I usually just add five (no more than ten) songs at a time to accompany my daily devotionals.

Trent, if you have a device like this, Zach's suggestion sounds like a very helpful way to learn to sing Psalms without the aid of a Psalm-singing congregation.

The above suggestions about the Scottish Metrical Psalter can be very helpful as well, but Zach's seems to have it all in one place.

I would suggest learning to read music some time along the way, however. I think every Christian will benefit from it in public and private worship (when there is a staff to be sung from), and that an entire congregation benefits when just one more of its members works on this, or any part of singing.

If you're not a techie (I'm not, really) I suggest getting a hard copy of a Psalter after you search out which one you want to use primarily. A few benefits from the three most faithful and available Psalters are these:

Psalms of David in Metre (Scottish Metrical Psalter) - Recognized all over the English Speaking world; tried and proven to be a faithful translation; all the Psalms are in Common Meter, and so you don't need to know very many tunes (you can use the same tune for them all, if you wish).

Book of Psalms for Singing - Perhaps the most popular Psalter in the United States (somebody correct me if I'm wrong), so you will find it in many Churches you visit; a faithful translation; you can obtain a list of popular hymn tunes included in it (may be true for the BPW, too); the tunes are already paired with the words, so you don't have to do that work yourself.

Book of Psalms for Worship (basically a revision of the BPS) - Another popular Psalter that you will find in many Churches; the translation is faithful; the most contemporary Psalter in terms of language; the tunes are paired with the words.

:ditto:

Bethel said:
Yes, my Kindle plays music (Menu--Experimental--Play Music). It's not great because you can't navigate through the music, so I usually just add five (no more than ten) songs at a time to accompany my daily devotionals.
Ahh, I see. Thanks for the info!

John-Ross Murray
Ness, Western Isles, Scotland, Britain (UK)

Has done a great deal of work recording the psalms.
Singing the parts by himself and also posting the text.

You can find is work here.

I hope this link works. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back