Sin in the sinner as ink in water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bultitude

Puritan Board Freshman
Miroslav Volf said in Giving and Forgiving:

But even if all of us are sinners from head to toe, none of us is a sinner through and through, with nothing good remaining in us. As sinners, we are still God's good creatures. To illustrate the relationship between being a good creature and being a sinner, Reformation theologians used the analogy of water and ink. Water is the good creation, ink is sin, and the sinner is a glass of water with a few drops of ink. All the water in the glass is tainted, but it's still mostly water, not ink.

I haven't been able to locate which "Reformation theologians" he was referring to. But that's not my question. My question is, is this a good analogy?

1. Is it a good analogy for unregenerate man?

2. Is it a good analogy for regenerate man?

Shake the water and see what happens to the ink. At that point you will have a good analogy, and it will disprove the idea that sinners are still God's "good" creatures.

Shake the water and see what happens to the ink.

I think you're referring to the water becoming completely ink-tainted (the ink being spread all throughout the glass)? But that's what the quote is already assuming.

Shake the water and see what happens to the ink.

I think you're referring to the water becoming completely ink-tainted (the ink being spread all throughout the glass)? But that's what the quote is already assuming.

He is denying that an individual is a sinner "through and through." If his analogy intends to show that the ink goes "through and through," it is a bad analogy on his part, but a good analogy for showing what is actually the case.

The analogy seems a bit diluted to me, but on the other hand try writing with
that composition! All similitudes fall short, but better to stick to the Book,"dead
In trespasses and sins."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back