Simon Peter as a Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan&Amber2013

Puritan Board Senior
Is there a biblical reason not to name a child Simon Peter? I like it but I don't ever hear them combined like the Bible does. Is Simon now obsolete because of the new name Peter? We are considering it as a name for our new baby.

Simon is a perfectly good Bible name. Jesus wasn't declaring the name to be bad when he renamed Peter. Besides, there are other Simons in the Bible, including another apostle. The name is not obsolete (and is quite common in some parts of the English-speaking world).

That said, I don't think I would name a kid Simon Peter. Not because it isn't spiritually allowable, but because it might burden the kid with a name that to some people could sound over-the-top or presumptuous. Imagine the teasing: "Your name is Simon Peter? Really? Hey, can you get me into heaven? Want to go fishing after school?" You put your kid in the position of having to respond either to biblical joking or to Catholics and others who find his name to be uppity, which probably is not something you wish for the kid.

Simon is a perfectly good Bible name. Jesus wasn't declaring the name to be bad when he renamed Peter. Besides, there are other Simons in the Bible, including another apostle. The name is not obsolete (and is quite common in some parts of the English-speaking world).

That said, I don't think I would name a kid Simon Peter. Not because it isn't spiritually allowable, but because it might burden the kid with a name that to some people could sound over-the-top or presumptuous. Imagine the teasing: "Your name is Simon Peter? Really? Hey, can you get me into heaven? Want to go fishing after school?" You put your kid in the position of having to respond either to biblical joking or to Catholics and others who find his name to be uppity, which probably is not something you wish for the kid.
At the same time, I am never called by my middle nor is it ever announced. And years after I know my friends is when we figure out middle names. There is basically no point any more. So I see no
problem.

Last edited:
I love this verse:

That disciple whom Jesus loved therefore said to Peter, "It is the Lord!" When Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment, for he was stripped for work, and threw himself into the sea.
John 21:7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back